Best full face helmet for . . .

As scottfarm said, I'd go with Shoei, but I'll throw Shark in the mix too. I had one, (RSF 2 Race), have recently got an AGV Stealth and after using the Shark, I'm very disappointed in the AGV.... WAYYYYY to much noise.
I use earplugs on longer trips, but now use them on short trips because it sounds like a jumbo jet following me when wearing the AGV Stealth (Stealth.. yeah right ... pfffft)

The new Shark RSF3 is meant to be pretty decent.
I think Dennis (admin) put up a review, but here it is anyway...

:rockon:

I'm a Shoei guy, they fit my head best and they've saved my life once so I with them from here on out.

Fit is the most important thing regardless of brand. Ear plugs are the best solution for noise.

Cycle Gear is great, the let you try one for a week and bring it back no questions asked. Try a few out and see what YOU think. But Shoei is the best. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think any decent brand name you'll be fine with, just find one that is compatible to your head shape

I've had two good helmets and really like both of them

Shoei TZ-R
Shark RSR2

If you ask most motorcycle shops, or even motorcycling organisations the difference in safety between a $200 and 1000$ helmet is pretty small. They all have to meet the same industry standards afterall. That being said comfort is the main difference between a cheap and expensive helmet.
Helmets are also pretty personal, if you go to a shop looking for an Arai or a Shoei and they don't fit your head you are going to be miserable. Different brands suit different people, even different models tend to be different. Your generally paying alot for a name with some brands, but they are good helmets. That being said their competition has come a long way recently.

With this in mind its probably a good idea to go out try some on, and see how they feel. One thing you generally notice when people review a helmet is you often get two very different sides, the lovers and the haters. Just because something is reasonably quiet for one person doesn't mean it will be for you as well, it often depends on other gear, your body and head shape etc.

Anyway this has turned into a bit of an essay, if there was one best helmet everyone would buy it. There isn't. It depends on your price range, fitting, and a few other factors.

If you ask most motorcycle shops, or even motorcycling organisations the difference in safety between a $200 and 1000$ helmet is pretty small. They all have to meet the same industry standards afterall. That being said comfort is the main difference between a cheap and expensive helmet.
Helmets are also pretty personal, if you go to a shop looking for an Arai or a Shoei and they don't fit your head you are going to be miserable. Different brands suit different people, even different models tend to be different. Your generally paying alot for a name with some brands, but they are good helmets. That being said their competition has come a long way recently.

With this in mind its probably a good idea to go out try some on, and see how they feel. One thing you generally notice when people review a helmet is you often get two very different sides, the lovers and the haters. Just because something is reasonably quiet for one person doesn't mean it will be for you as well, it often depends on other gear, your body and head shape etc.

Anyway this has turned into a bit of an essay, if there was one best helmet everyone would buy it. There isn't. It depends on your price range, fitting, and a few other factors.
This is a very good point. I looked at different web sites and read articles. I then went to Cycle Gear and other stores and tried on different helmets. First I recommend go try the helmets on, and find one that fits, and work from there. As for moisture, you can get guards that will help deflect your breath from you face shield, and you can get a shield liner from fog city that will keep your face shield from fogging up.

I've only been riding for 2 months, so I'm not an expert.

i believe for helmet comfort and this particular season this is exactly what you are looking for.

PumpkinHeadMasters-vi.jpg

pumpkin_helmet.jpg

Try on as many as you can. Borrow as many as you can from your buds. Then buy the most expensive one you can afford. Better to have one great helmet then 4 ok ones in my opinion. There are some great deals on shoe rf1000's right now because of the introduction of the rf 1100.

Helmets are also pretty personal, if you go to a shop looking for an Arai or a Shoei and they don't fit your head you are going to be miserable. Different brands suit different people, even different models tend to be different.
+10. I won't even consider buying a helmet mail-order again, you have to try it on YOUR head to see how it fits; moisture, noise, etc are all secondary.

My Scorpion EXO-1000 fits my head perfectly, although its uncomfortable to pull on/off. My older G-max doesn't fit near as well, and is noisier. Bell helmets do not fit my head shape AT ALL.

Cycle Gear is great, the let you try one for a week and bring it back no questions asked.

I hope they don't then re-sell it. Imagine buying a helmet that 1 or more people have been putting through the usual paces for a week, anything could have happen to it. No thanks.

I 2nd others opinions of noisy AGV's, it's not a brand I will go back to again.

The quietest helmet I ever had was a shoei x8. I then went to an x9 which was a little noisier. I just bought a new x11 off ebay for $250. You can get a new x11 from competition accessories for $299 shipped the house. Prices are coming down since the introduction of the x12. The difference of the more expensive helmets is long term comfort.

Tried to go down the budget route and bought a Caberg and ,MY GOD THE WIND NOISE!!!
Now back with Shoei (XR 1000) and now its given a bit is comfortable and quiet(also comes with a fog shield).

In a nut shell, nice one Kris.

Nelly:thumbup:

I am cursed with a massive melon and therefore I am quite restricted in the premium helmet market.

I currently own a HJC CL-SP in XXL (but had to reshape the forehead foam) that I only wear at work when I don't have my XXXL HJC CL-Max.

I tried on a AGV GP-Tech in XXXL and it fit VERY nicely, however, no Arai, Shoei, Shark, Nolan, KBC, Scorpion, or any other AGV aside from the GP-Tech will fit me.

It is pretty frustrating having such a limited selection.

I am cursed with a massive melon and therefore I am quite restricted in the premium helmet market.

I currently own a HJC CL-SP in XXL (but had to reshape the forehead foam) that I only wear at work when I don't have my XXXL HJC CL-Max.

I tried on a AGV GP-Tech in XXXL and it fit VERY nicely, however, no Arai, Shoei, Shark, Nolan, KBC, Scorpion, or any other AGV aside from the GP-Tech will fit me.

It is pretty frustrating having such a limited selection.

My noggin measures at 7 5/8ths..... I feel your 'pain'. I suspect my skull shape would be classified as 'long oval'... but it's such a pain to find any helmets to try on to find out. Most MC shops are > 10 miles from where I live, and each on e may have 1 or 2 helmets that claim to fit XXL. Usually, these are bargain brands, with lousy noise damping.

My noggin measures at 7 5/8ths..... I feel your 'pain'. I suspect my skull shape would be classified as 'long oval'... but it's such a pain to find any helmets to try on to find out. Most MC shops are > 10 miles from where I live, and each on e may have 1 or 2 helmets that claim to fit XXL. Usually, these are bargain brands, with lousy noise damping.

If I were to buy a fitted hat, it would have to be a size 8. :(

I measure at just below an 8 (in between sizes).

If I were to buy a fitted hat, it would have to be a size 8. :(

I measure at just below an 8 (in between sizes).

Youch!

At least for me, the 'standard' ball caps you can buy will stay on my head if I move the snap together buttons to the last 2 sets of holes/pins....... if I have a haircut.:D

Back