Best helmet action camera

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I know this will be a boring repeated question, but every year new products come, so we have to be updated(new riders, gets updated info).
So, i'm a new rider, budget 250USD, my daily commute is less than 5 miles per day(just office 3 miles to and fro). Occasionally I'll go out over the weekends.
Please suggest me a best camera out there.
Sony, GoPro, Contour or Garmin Virb..!
Should be easily mountable on Helmet, long battery life, best picture quality blah blah blah..!

I get GoPro 2 or 3 for 150 in craigslist, will do research on craigslist GoPro cam scams and will purchase it carefully if available, but looking to buy in the store, for credit card benefits and extended warranty purchases..!

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
I have Sony AS100V so I suggest you get Sony AS100v, GPS and 64GB microSDxC included from Amazon. Sony AS100V is integrated GPS speed/location recorder.

+$39.99 to get accidental damage insurance for 3 years in the case your camera is damaged due to the accident or accidentally drop it..etc, the insurance will pay you back the full cost of the camera!

My almost's getting damaged too,,I guess soon I will get another AS100v as mine was bought before without those good bundle/package like one in Amazon now!

My AS100v's single battery can run 1hr45 minute recording of 1080p or 2hr15 minute to record 720p!

Good luck!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Sony AS15, As20, AS100V.
gopro 3 and up.
SJ4000 + wifi.
I didn't like any other cameras so far.
I need to choose one from these and like to purchase by the end of this weekend.

BestBuy had a price match offer, so comparing with rakuten/b&h for better prices..!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have Sony AS100V so I suggest you get Sony AS100v, GPS and 64GB microSDxC included from Amazon. Sony AS100V is integrated GPS speed/location recorder.

+$39.99 to get accidental damage insurance for 3 years in the case your camera is damaged due to the accident or accidentally drop it..etc, the insurance will pay you back the full cost of the camera!

My almost's getting damaged too,,I guess soon I will get another AS100v as mine was bought before without those good bundle/package like one in Amazon now!

My AS100v's single battery can run 1hr45 minute recording of 1080p or 2hr15 minute to record 720p!

Good luck!

Added to my list..!:thumbup: will decide by end of week.

MitsuFootDr

Reaction score
Visit site
Mobius ActionCam - Can't go wrong for $80. Shoots in 1080p, accepts up to a 64gb micro SD card, the camera itself is the size of a pack of tic tacs. I have one mounted on my fz6 and in my car. Just looked on the site that sells them, and they have helmet mounts, handle bar mounts, and really anything that you can think of.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mobius ActionCam - Can't go wrong for $80. Shoots in 1080p, accepts up to a 64gb micro SD card, the camera itself is the size of a pack of tic tacs. I have one mounted on my fz6 and in my car. Just looked on the site that sells them, and they have helmet mounts, handle bar mounts, and really anything that you can think of.

not waterproof, cheap build quality, china cheapo internals (same as the keychain cams, etc.) crappy mounts.

the sony has image stabilization and gps and wifi.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
not waterproof, cheap build quality, china cheapo internals (same as the keychain cams, etc.) crappy mounts.

the sony has image stabilization and gps and wifi.

for daylight recording, Mobius is a bang for the buck, but night, sound and stability, I'll choose Sony AS100V.

Pictures: GoPro
Underwater: GoPro, else Sony with extra 50$ for flat lens
Price: almost all cameras other than GoPro are affordable
Stability in picture: Sony.
Battery: still didn't get a clear idea yet.
Extended battery pack: GoPro: Yes, others don't know yet.
Charge While you ride: Sony is little bit hard to manage with the waterproof casing ON, rest I have to do continue my research.

GoPro: Hero 3 and up versions
Sony: AS100V

research continues and will update by end of tomorrow.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It appears the Sony is much easier and friendlier to operate than the Gopro. I have the black edition with remote and willing to sell it so I can get the Sony. To this day, I still have difficulties figuring out how to use it. I like the features that the Sony has such as the gps where the go pro does not.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Added to my list..!:thumbup: will decide by end of week.

Sony White HDR-AZ1/W mini with LV-Remote for 250$, bestbuy
for now I purchased 32gb sdhc, don't know the maximum it can take, couldn't find an answer.

Update: It can take upto 64Gb.

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site

Good luck!

too excited didn't thank you..!
Thank You bro, I got a later version of yours, but it sucks than AS100V..!

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site

Good luck!

Problem with Sony is that, if you need to use it for more than 2 hours in a drive, you cannot, because, it doesn't have battery packs or external charging cable to use it on your motorcycle usb/charger port. You have to sacrifice the waterproof case in order to charge and drive..!
Do you have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
BTW, i found this review, where it says media and suggests to buy 64GB on their website, that is the only hint i found to know the maximum this camera can take..!
Error

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
How did you overcome the external mic issue?

Do you charge while you ride? If yes, you have to remove the waterproof casing, how are you protecting the lens when it is naked?

Could you please upload some pictures on how you mounted on..!

Mine is a Symax-2 modular and I'm confused on where/how to mount the camera. Planning for handle bar clamps, which reduces wires around my neck if I need to charge while I drive. Sony really needs to work harder for their customers, no external mic, no extended battery packs, underwater is not great even with a special housing. basically not meant for motorcycles.

Pros:
1. Image stabilization is great.
2. Great for night recordings.
3. Great sound input even with waterproof housing(not while you ride though).

Good luck!