Bike won't start......AGAIN!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Final: Yes, the bike started on its own. I charged the battery up Sunday night and did all the testing Monday afternoon. It started on its own about 4 times total during all of the testing. I plan to take the bike to work tomorrow so I should find out Wednesday afternoon if the bike will start so I can get home :D

Motogiro: You lost me :BLAA:

Townsend: I also have the dual headlight mod. I'll have to start her up again this afternoon to take a closer look at the idle rpms.

My charging system seems pretty strong compared to others.

Its really borderline (especially with the dual headlights) at 1,000 RPM's, 1,200 RPM's makes a pretty big difference, especiallly if the fan kicks on..

ryanag

Reaction score
Visit site
(Facepalm) - I completely forgot to mention. I also have a Gorilla alarm installed on the bike. I don't arm the alarm when it sits up for long periods of time though. Could it be slowly sucking the battery dry? :spank:

All of my accessory lighting has been wired to be truly OFF when the bike is off.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Townsends: It's a hair above 1000 rpm at idle.

I, like you, prefer the idle at 1,000, however I don't have any charging issues (especially since I don't sit in traffic for any lenth of time).

You may want to bump the idle up to at least 1,200 and check the voltage output at that RPM.. You should be charging just slightly ABOVE 12.8 VOLTS, its not alot BUT, you won't be DRAWING THE BATTERY DOWN at idle.:thumbup:

ryanag

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Townsend. I bumped up the rpms to about 1400 to get the voltage up to 12.86 V. I also wired in a switch for the alarm to make sure it's off when the bike sits up for a while.

Over the past 2 days, the bike has started up several times without hesitation and I only had the battery on the charger Sunday night.