Bike won't start in gear, clutch in

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Just noticed this starting to happen on a 3 day camping trip. I had expected the bike to start when having the clutch lever pulled in while in gear with the kickstand up.

Presuming at this point it is the small switch attached to the clutch perch or connections.

Any other possible reasons to investigate?

FB

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sure sounds like the clutch switch. I believe it's normally closed (goes open when lever is squeezed). Either way, it seems it would be easy enough to test, by disconnecting the wires from the switch and strapping the clutch lever to the handlebar (so the bike doesn't take off).
With wires connected to each other, bike shouldn't start (provided I was right about *normally closed*) and with wires apart, it should start.

Does that make sense?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Eric - yeah I think this is a good approach. Trouble right now is weather is so good I would rather be out riding than tinkering with the bike (off this week).

I thought also the connectors could be dirty. I had to replace the brake switch blade connectors and this worked fine (wasn't the switch)

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
the sensor relay block connector had corroded on mine, causing this problem (the biggest relay under the left pod). Some emery cloth and contact cleaner sorted it out.

I (or rather the AA man with my assistance) tested the kickstand switch continuity with a multimeter when we were diagnosing it.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
the sensor relay block connector had corroded on mine, causing this problem (the biggest relay under the left pod). Some emery cloth and contact cleaner sorted it out.

I (or rather the AA man with my assistance) tested the switch continuity with a multimeter when we were diagnosing it.

Good Find! ^^

FWIW: it has about dozen wires going into it. its under the left pod should you go looking for it. Its the interlock relay. So if all the switches agree, it allows a signal to the starter relay to spin the electric motor when the start button is pushed. Starter relay is atop the battery.

Looks like so... Far right
picture.php

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
for some reason the connectors look to be made of aluminium, so they develop a layer of oxide on top, the ECU uses brass or copper connectors that don't suffer from this. The handlebar harness connector also has the same issue (behind the battery box), which has caused my tail and indicator lights to stop functioning in the past.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar problem about two years back, the micro switch at the clutch lever had become a bit gummy.a squirt of wd-40 into the switch and I have had no issues since

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Solved. I disconnected the plug, dremeled the connections (best I could), added di-electric grease. Now works fine as it should. Had a feeling it was the connections and was right