Bike won't start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raevyn00

Reaction score
Visit site
2009 FZ6 - Bought the bike end of December, brought it home and it sat. Today it started up (though it did struggle), I rode it down to the AutoZone and bought some fuel stabilizer (SeaFoam).

Parked the bike outside, went to get a measuring cup (was gone maybe 10 min) and after I put the Seafoam in, the bike will not start anymore.
It choked for a while but now it just buzzes when I press the starter.

Any advice?

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
2009 FZ6 - Bought the bike end of December, brought it home and it sat. Today it started up (though it did struggle), I rode it down to the AutoZone and bought some fuel stabilizer (SeaFoam).

Parked the bike outside, went to get a measuring cup (was gone maybe 10 min) and after I put the Seafoam in, the bike will not start anymore.
It choked for a while but now it just buzzes when I press the starter.

Any advice?
Post up a video with sound. If the display dims significantly or goes out when you hit the starter, the battery is likely the cause. If you hear a strong and steady whirring sound coming from the left side of the engine, it is likely the sprag clutch that allows the starter to engage the engine during starting.....

Raevyn00

Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered an AGM battery from JP Cycles, gonna pull it myself and put in the new battery before I send it to the garage, didn't seem too complex on Youtube when I checked the videos

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered an AGM battery from JP Cycles, gonna pull it myself and put in the new battery before I send it to the garage, didn't seem too complex on Youtube when I checked the videos

Not a difficult job and will save you a fortune compared to shop rates.

Just curious..... I am still wondering about the whirring sound in your original post. If it is still doing that, take a short video and post it up.

I had the sprag clutch fail once, and that was exactly the symptom. Hit the started button and the starter would spin free because it was not engaging with the gear on the crank. Just made a whirring sound as it spun at high speed.

Raevyn00

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes sir, I had a motorcycle buddy of mine tell me the same, I have a 2amp charger, hopefully that will be enough...

Raevyn00

Reaction score
Visit site
Not a difficult job and will save you a fortune compared to shop rates.

Just curious..... I am still wondering about the whirring sound in your original post. If it is still doing that, take a short video and post it up.

I had the sprag clutch fail once, and that was exactly the symptom. Hit the started button and the starter would spin free because it was not engaging with the gear on the crank. Just made a whirring sound as it spun at high speed.
Here is the video of the sound and how the bike starts

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That battery does not have enough charge to start a bike. It may still be a good battery.

Once you get the bike started, be sure to test the voltage at the battery to ensure there is around 14 volts. Anything less and a dead battery is not your problem, it’s your symptom.

Raevyn00

Reaction score
Visit site
That battery does not have enough charge to start a bike. It may still be a good battery.

Once you get the bike started, be sure to test the voltage at the battery to ensure there is around 14 volts. Anything less and a dead battery is not your problem, it’s your symptom.
What would the problem be if there wasn't 14v?