Blipping the throttle (Rev matching)

Fz672110

Reaction score
Visit site
I heard about blipping the throttle before a turn in a YouTube video. I understand the concept, and I have done it successfully alot. Though, they recommended holding the front brake while doing this. I cannot get that down for some reason and was wondering if it was necessary? Braking afterwards a no no? I apologize for my noobness.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Throttle blipping doesn't have to be linked to braking but it can be.

All you are doing is trying to match the rev of the gear you are going into when downshifting, so as not to lock you rear wheel or get to much engine braking.

This can be done without braking if you are just trying to get in a lower gear to get in the power band, or while braking if you are braking before entering a turn.

Here is an example of the first situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCd0bwqfEUo

And here is the part of "twist of the wrist" showing the second situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrbZJbXwgrY

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I heard about blipping the throttle before a turn in a YouTube video. I understand the concept, and I have done it successfully alot. Though, they recommended holding the front brake while doing this. I cannot get that down for some reason and was wondering if it was necessary? Braking afterwards a no no? I apologize for my noobness.

The point of this is so that you can get full braking power and downshifting at the same time.

Try two finger braking, while holding the throttle with your ring and pinky finger. As you're gently braking to slow down for the turn, combine the downshift/blipping with your braking. It doesn't necessarily make you slow down any faster, but it ensures that you're smoothly in the correct gear for accelerating out of the corner. It just combines all of the steps into one fluid process. :)

Sportbikes have strong brakes, even if you're still using 8 year old rubber lines on your 06 FZ6 (ask me how I know :spank: ) so you'll have plenty of braking power just using two fingers, and you keep more control over the bars, throttle and bike in general by not removing your last two fingers from the grip. Give that a try for a while, and once you have the hang of 2 finger braking, start controlling the throttle with the outside fingers/part of your hand while you're covering the brake.
It takes a little while to get used to it, but once you do you'll never use 4 fingers again!

Fz672110

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys! Ill check those links out Carlos. My issue like Lawlberg described is the tough brake. I grab WAY to much front brake while flicking my wrist. I need to practice controlling that.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this your first bike?

For me its less upsetting to the suspension thus creating a smoother transition from previous state to decelerated state. More fluent so to speak. :thumbup:

Its just time on the bike. However, you might look at your setup. If you have a longer torso the lever angles in stock form will pitch your wrists upwards and this may not be helpful to your cause. See post below...

Sound clip of actual FZ6... most all downshifts are rev-matched.
https://soundcloud.com/fz6-rippedmp3/fz62broxp1tipsrip

- very important regarding hand strength, hand cramps/pain, endurance and setup up of levers....

When your on the bike and in position, rotate your levers so the imaginary line from your shoulder, through your forearm, wrists and fingers are all parallel. The factory location for the levers usually has most of us pointing our wrists upwards which pinches nerves and cuts off circulation. In short - lever position is dependent on torso length and your lean angle.

This post is from another topic; but notice how far the levers are rotated? The levers angle in relation to the bar nearly makes a straight line to my shoulders rotator cuff.

Also, something I advocate about bike setup can be seen here. Notice my fingers are nearly straight in line with my wrist and forearms?? The OEM lever position has your wrists pitched upwards to reach the levers which cuts off circulation.
Point: adjust those levers so your wrists are parallel to your forearm so you have a straight pull.
picture.php

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Practice makes perfect, I got really good at it over the 15,000 miles I put on my Ninja 250R before the FZ6. Yet when I got the Fazer I was horrible, took me a few days and a few tweaks to the ergonomics to get it good, but it really clicked when I bumped my idle up to 1,500 rpm from 1,200 rpm.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
on the street i brake separately, I'm not normally going that hot into a corner that I need to downchange and brake at the same time. I blip to throttle match, and use engine braking.

On track I'm still not really good enough to brake hard whilst changing down.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
on the street i brake separately, I'm not normally going that hot into a corner that I need to downchange and brake at the same time. I blip to throttle match, and use engine braking.

On track I'm still not really good enough to brake hard whilst changing down.

You should practice on the street, it'll help with being comfortable on the track.

I don't stop quickly on the street either but I still brake and blip at the same time. Just wait a little longer before you downshift or something, or maybe drop it down an extra gear.

Fz672110

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes FinalImpact it is my first bike. This is my first riding season also. Do you think shorty levers help combined with what you described?

I just came back in from trying out the tips I've received. I tried two fingers on the brake, and then roll with my ring and pinky. Now that I'm concentrating I'm not grabbing so much brake. Still need practice!

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In simplest terms, it allows you to downshift quicker, without upsetting the chassis.
Is it necessary? Not at all. You can just slowly ease out the clutch.
Is it nice to be able to do it? Sure. Rewarding? Yup!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes FinalImpact it is my first bike. This is my first riding season also. Do you think shorty levers help combined with what you described?

I just came back in from trying out the tips I've received. I tried two fingers on the brake, and then roll with my ring and pinky. Now that I'm concentrating I'm not grabbing so much brake. Still need practice!

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

This is just my opinion, but shorty levers works beautifully on FZ6 (unless you're often in stop-n-go traffic.. where your clutch hand will be less happy with shorties).

I wouldn't get them just for this technique though. Just not necessary.. I would get them for all benefits though (adjustable reach, works great on FZ6 .. since friction zone is so short.. and does make the brake/blip technique more natural.. as you can only have 2 finters on the brake lever).

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
This is just my opinion, but shorty levers works beautifully on FZ6 (unless you're often in stop-n-go traffic.. where your clutch hand will be less happy with shorties).

I wouldn't get them just for this technique though. Just not necessary.. I would get them for all benefits though (adjustable reach, works great on FZ6 .. since friction zone is so short.. and does make the brake/blip technique more natural.. as you can only have 2 finters on the brake lever).

The thing to consider is that with shorty levers you are stuck with two fingers, with long levers you can do anything you want!

I clutch with two going up, but with four when going down and coming to a stop.
On the brake side i have been using the index and major since i started riding, but have recently started experimenting with using the middle, ring and pinky fingers on the brake and i have to say it is very nice.
Much better throttle control with the major still around the grip! This would not be possible with shorties!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
recently started experimenting with using the middle, ring and pinky fingers on the brake and i have to say it is very nice.

Funny.. this is a major no-no when it comes to Motorcycle Safety Foundation standards. The explanation typically given is this: when you need to apply maximum braking, you may pinch the index (major finger) with the lever.. which will force you to release the brake and re-apply, but at that point it might be too late.

Generally, we try to get students away from all sorts of finger splitting combinations.. use all 4 on the throttle or all 4 on the brake, but of course these are not advanced rider courses, so we're looking to separate braking from throttle application there.

I'll tell you this though: I've never seen pros use your experimental finger combination (but have seen loads of new or inexperienced riders use it).
Most pros seem to use 2/2 split. Some use all 4 on brake (like Rossi).

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The thing to consider is that with shorty levers you are stuck with two fingers, with long levers you can do anything you want!

Forgot to mention.. I agree with this point. I hated shorties in traffic. I never needed more than 2 fingers on the brake on FZ6, but clutch was another story in stop-n-go.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny.. this is a major no-no when it comes to Motorcycle Safety Foundation standards. The explanation typically given is this: when you need to apply maximum braking, you may pinch the index (major finger) with the lever.. which will force you to release the brake and re-apply, but at that point it might be too late.

Generally, we try to get students away from all sorts of finger splitting combinations.. use all 4 on the throttle or all 4 on the brake, but of course these are not advanced rider courses, so we're looking to separate braking from throttle application there.

I'll tell you this though: I've never seen pros use your experimental finger combination (but have seen loads of new or inexperienced riders use it).
Most pros seem to use 2/2 split. Some use all 4 on brake (like Rossi).

That's weird, i actually decided to try it after seeing it a few times in MotoGP!

I'm still not entirely convinced by it, but it feels pretty good!

Last edited:

scidork

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny.. this is a major no-no when it comes to Motorcycle Safety Foundation standards...

Oddly enough when I did MSF about 4 years ago the coach specifically instructed us to use the index and middle fingers exclusively, presumably to prevent someone from clamping down and locking up. To my knowledge, neither my fz6 or nc700 have adjustable levers so unless I think ahead, I can't really reach the lever with my last three fingers with my hands in a normal riding position. This is especially apparent on the 700 where the levers are mounted at an angle such that they get farther away from the handlebars as they go outward. As you can imagine, when I clutch fully I have to pull with the first two fingers then add the others as the lever comes within their reach.

I did see a video the other day about using just the tips of your fingers on the brake lever which gives you more room to play with the throttle but while it seems to work, it feels really strange to me.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oddly enough when I did MSF about 4 years ago the coach specifically instructed us to use the index and middle fingers exclusively, presumably to prevent someone from clamping down and locking up. To my knowledge, neither my fz6 or nc700 have adjustable levers so unless I think ahead, I can't really reach the lever with my last three fingers with my hands in a normal riding position. This is especially apparent on the 700 where the levers are mounted at an angle such that they get farther away from the handlebars as they go outward. As you can imagine, when I clutch fully I have to pull with the first two fingers then add the others as the lever comes within their reach.

I did see a video the other day about using just the tips of your fingers on the brake lever which gives you more room to play with the throttle but while it seems to work, it feels really strange to me.

Yes, the index + middle on brake is a very good way to go. I was talking about the combination Carlos mentioned: index finger on the throttle, midle, ring and pinky on the brake.. that's the combination we frown upon.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site

The brake lever can be moved closer to the hand grip on the 04-06 models, and possibly on the newer models (I don't own one or I would check).

When stopped:

Push the lever away from the bar (it should do this easily). Then turn the dial. 1 is farthest away and 5 is closest.

I use 5 and it's noticeably closer for me.

scidork

Reaction score
Visit site
As I haven't seen my FZ in 8 months I could't remember if it had the adjustment dial or not :).

Here's a look at the NC's brake btw. No adjustment without replacing the lever and all.
picture.php

Last edited:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the index + middle on brake is a very good way to go. I was talking about the combination Carlos mentioned: index finger on the throttle, midle, ring and pinky on the brake.. that's the combination we frown upon.

I just want to make sure i understand what you are saying correctly, when you say "we try to get students away from all sorts of finger splitting combinations".

Do you mean you want students to use the same fingers on both hands?
As in all four on both levers, or index middle on both levers.

Or to do you mean that they should not split at all and use all four on both levers?

Wouldn't you agree that it's more important to be consistent and always use the same finger combination, and build muscle memory so your reflex will always be the same, rather than focus on which finger you use.

Last edited: