Buell goes bang right in front of me on the freeway.

Caz

Reaction score
Visit site
So here I am, casually riding to work on Thursday morning, freezing cold, peak hour traffic, I take my usual route, nodding at fellow bikers I share the morning commute with regularly, everything is just dandy. I take the freeway entry ramp and low and behold, the freeway is chockers with bumper to bumper chaos.
Over the bridge and onto the onramp, slowly edging my way into the traffic, I see a gap and slot into it, a fellow biker I travel with nearly every morning goes past me, still in the onramp lane, trying to edge his way into the traffic on the freeway, I look up and see him about 3 cars ahead of me, just were the onramp finishes and the emergency lane begins, suddenly the bike flips up in the air, rear wheel flying up and over, flipping the bike multiple times end to end, **** and disaster everywhere.
Survival instincts kick in, a quick head check, and I'm now pulling up in the emergency lane, parked the bike and running to the fellow sprawled out on the road not moving. I'm waving my arms and screaming at the people that have pulled up "do not remove his helmet"
The woman that got to him first was arguing with me, "I need to remove his helmet to check his airway" she kept saying to me, I refused to allow her to remove his helmet, he was breathing, I could see his chest inflating and deflating with big heavy breaths, slow breaths, but still, he was breathing. I got down onto the ground and looked at his face, blood all over one side, he was unconscious, but alive. A couple of other people stopped and directed traffic around the scene until the coppers arrived. The battle with the woman about removing his helmet continued until phone contact was established with the ambos and they confirmed what I had been saying all along, do NOT remove his helmet unless you need to administer CPR, which we obviously did not need to do since he was still breathing.
The bloke eventually comes too, phew, thats a start.
He goes into panic mode and tries to get up, it took 3 of us to keep him down. Eventually he stopped fighting us and just accepted his situation. A few minutes passed and he felt ill, frantically he wanted to remove his helmet, at this point the ambos on the phone said it was his call if he wanted to take it off, so I got two of the people to stablise under his neck and support his head while I pulled apart the chin straps and gently pulled and manouvred the helmet off his head and then put a couple of thickly folded jumpers under his neck to support his head.

The police and ambos are onsite now and have taken control of the situation. I am going into shock by this stage, I can feel the adrenalin pumping, I pace up and down, all I could do was mutter to myself, ****, ****, ****....

60 hours later, the visions of the bike flipping and debris going metres into the air right infront of me haunt me, every spare moment I have seems to be riddled with the constant replay of the event.

What really amazes me is not one other vehicle was involved, just the bike. Luckily the traffic was only going at a snails pace or he very well might have been ran over by the cars following along behind, or by me, being 2 cars behind when it happened.

I've tried to figure out what went wrong, I've discussed it with the guys at work, and the only thing we can think happened was either the rear lost traction on the white line as he was merging into the lane then suddenly grabbed again once off the white paint, spitting the back of the bike up and over, and over again. Or... and this is what my initial thought was, he tried to slip into a gap, the traffic was not really allowing him in, but he forced his way in, then the car in front has braked hard and he has grabbed a fist full of front brake and done a stoppie that went too far sending him over the bars into a violent tumble.

I am angry, angry at the people that wanted to remove his helmet.
I am in the process of talking with the road/safety authorities about trying to organise some sort of campaign to educate the general public about the dangerous practice of attempting to remove the helmet from an accident victim.
I have been telling everyone I come across about my plight, and asked them to tell at least 5 people.
I presume it is the same in other countries, the general puplic have no ****ing idea, so, please people, make an effort to educate as many people that you can about the dangers re helmet removal, don't do it unless CPR is to be administered.

Anyway, thats my little bit of excitemnt for this week.....
what's going on in your lives? anything as exciting as watching a Beull explode into a million pieces right infront of you?

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is why I have this sticker on the front of my helmet:

19102008001-1.jpg

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They are made here by the Think Bike campaign organisers. It is part of initiatives they have started to increase awareness and biker safety. Think Bike stickers are appearing on more and more vehicles, and the overhead information signs on freeways will say "always look out for bikers".
My wife and I are both paying members of the organisation.

Think Bike

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done caz, for stopping and getting to the stupid woman before she ripped the helmet off.
Not what you want to see on your way to work, but sounds like the fella came through it ok, all be it a bit banged up and his bike a mess.

I'm going to look for some stickers like Andz.. and hand them to all riders I meet.

:rockon:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
epic. you did well mate. very well.

and odds are that it was a super-stoppie. if it was a highside the bike would have been sideways i think not end over end. unless it was a 360 degree highside....which would just be legendary.

i would have knocked that lady out if she kept harassing...its just common sense dont YANK the guys neck when he could have a neck injury. or at the very least i would have just lied and said i am trained more than she is. would have spared the paramedics making two trips that day....

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
:( Bloody hell, what a nightmare. Hope he ends up ok, are you going to check up on him at the hospital? You made the right call with the helmet, last thing you want to do is move his neck.

Z

Zealadin

Damn thats terrible, good to hear the guy seems ok, and hes very lucky you where there, could have gone pretty far wrong otherwise...especially if it had been worse than it was.

That being said its good someone tried to help at the very least, even in a misguided way, she will know for next time as will all the other onlookers.

A friend of a friend of mine was hit by a 4x4 recently, and was being followed by his wife and daughter in a car, he was a bit ahead and when they caught up they found him on the road, his bike a wreckage and the people in the car who had hit him standing around taking pictures on their phones, not even bothering to call the ambo's or police.
Should have been charged with negligence in not calling an ambo for him, at the very least.

Would love to get my hands on some of those "do not remove if injured stickers too"

Caz

Reaction score
Visit site
:( Bloody hell, what a nightmare. Hope he ends up ok, are you going to check up on him at the hospital? You made the right call with the helmet, last thing you want to do is move his neck.

I rang the hospital after lunch on Thursday, and to my surprise, he had been released.