Can bike flip over?

destructor

Reaction score
Visit site
This might sound like a silly question, but here goes...

I am a newbie to motorcycles. I previously had a 50cc scooter and I just moved up to a 2005 Yamaha FZ6. I am really enjoying the bike in absolutely every respect. I cannot get over the power though... awesome.

Now for the silly question... Is it possible to flip the bike over (a wheelie gone mad) using just the throttle in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear? What I mean is, there seems to be so much power (to me at least), that when I 'floor it', the front tire gets light and it scares me senseless because I feel that the front end will keep rising until the bike flips. Ideally, I would like to see what the bike can do, but I get scared that the front tire will lift off the ground and I will get creamed on the pavement.

Like I said… I’m a newbie :)

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
possible, yes, that is why stunt bikes have "wheelie bars" (little things extending off the back of the bike to keep it from looping). Is it likely? not really. especially if you're smart enough tog et scared when you feel the front end getting light.

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the bike CAN flip over, but if it is just a power wheelie and not a clutched wheelie then you can usually cut the throttle, or tap the rear brakes and the front end will come back down. Just have enough sense to keep it in control and you will be able to. Looping (flipping) a bike will usually only happen because someone is trying too hard.

W

wrightme43

You would really really really have to work at it man. Its something you need to worry with.

I am glad your here and welcome to the site.

Since your new let me ask you a few questions.

Do you have any books on riding skills training? If so are you reading them and working on the excersizes inside?

Do you gear up and practice your hard braking, and leans in a limited access area? Parking lots on weekends or at night work great.

The reasons I am asking are simple. Its your ass. There is only one way to get good, and that is practice. If you get the books or take the classes and practice you will get good. Then when the day comes that you need it, you will have a good chance.

Hope you enjoy your bike and keep her dirty side down.

W

wrightme43

and don't hit the front brake too hard otherwise you'll flip the other way...

LOL Woo!! :Sport:

Work on that braking too. More likely is you lock the front from giving it to much to quick, and on the ground you go. Gently squeeze, and let the wieght transfer, and then you can really squeeze. LOL Practice that in a parking lot too at first. It is amazing how fast these bikes will slow down.

destructor

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the help!

So the short answer seems to be 'yes', the bike can flip, but only if I am very silly about it and not looking after myself.

As for training... yes, I did attend a training school (theory and practical). We had numerous classes in parking lots (figure eights, tight turns, emergency braking,, etc...). It was alot of fun and very educational.

Again, I appreciate everyones help in the matter!