Carb Adjustment -Running Rich

HellBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I have searched the site and net and have found little on this subject for the FZS600, but apologies if it has already been in another thread - please point it out to me.

My 2000 FZS 600 is running very rich, black sooty exhaust (whisps of white smoke when turned off and some liquid), black sooty plugs (dry), and it stinks - smell clings to clothes.

(Not sure if this is related but it has been cutting out also, even riding for 5 mins it has cut out 3 times. Thought this might be carb icing as it came on at start of winter. It starts perfectly with no choke everytime normally, but after cutting out it can be difficult to restart.)

*Can anyone point out the correct way to adjust the air/fuel mixture? ( I have looked for the adjusting screw but can't find it, anyone tell me where it is/pics?) :confused:

It has ran rich since i got it, as it has an aftermarket exhaust. But i have recently upgraded to a K&N air filter (and iridium plugs), and as such it is now running as above.

Thanks in advance for any help. (My TPS when in training mode is at 3000rpm, is this okay, or should it be at 5000rpm?) :(

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ's are fuel injected so there isn't any air/fuel adjustment on the bike or a choke.

You could get it tuned at a shop or buy a Power Commander or a Two Brothers Juice Box, both will let you adjust air/fuel.

Just saw where your bike is an older model. I don't know if my advice applies at all to your model.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
could your choke be stuck on slightly could explain why it doens want to start when warm ..just a thought..or maybe the carbs need balancing

EDIT:I just realised you already suspect it to be the carbs..personally i would bite the bullit and take it to a mechanic..dont forget..elevation and pressure do all kinds of crazy things to carburatted bikes..was there a sea level difference from where you originally bought the bike to where you live??

Last edited:

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Excessively running rich can mean:
- choke stuck in the "on" position as Gilo-FZ6 stated
- float levels are too high
- incorrect jetting (depending on where it is running rich it can either be the main and/or idle)
- jet needle in the wrong position (assuming you have adjustable needles)
- obstruction in the airway
- wrong spark plugs
- weak spark plug output

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/4129.pdf You can get this jet kit from dynojet,and it will have the correct jetting for your aftermarket exhaust and k+n air filter,and while your in there you need to give them a good cleanin.Pro clean bike wash un-dilluted is the best ive seen with a good plastic brush and tip cleaners for a torch. ProClean1000 - Clean. Care. Chrome. - Bike Cleaner P.S. the dyno jet kit comes with full instructions of how to set the fuel ratio,for altitude ext......

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I was about to post a "FZ6's don't have carbs or chokes, you morons!" rant when I looked back and saw it was a 2000 FZR 600.

So anyway, if it had the pipe when you got it, it probably had a jet kit installed at the same time.

Try lowering the needle by a notch and see if that helps it. The previous owner probably tuned it stupidly rich to "add more power" and "make it work with the pipe."

If you don't know how to adjust carbs, I suggest finding somebody local who can adjust it or mentor you. You're going to have a miserable time figuring it out for yourself with no experience.

Fred

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
and as a foot note..post some pics of your bike.."dinosaurs" like your bike (joke)..dont often get much publicity on here... a freind of mine used to have one in black..it was a very nice bike and very quick too..he fitted a scorpion exhaust to his with no negative effects

HellBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. I've adjusted/stripped carbs in the past, but on off-road crossers etc. And it seems abit different on this with four of them.

My 'dinosaur' is also black with a scorpion can, i like the look of the older models, when i saw it i just knew it was the one - lovely bike. Rode a 600 Bandit straight before riding the Fazer and the difference was drastic, it felt abit haphazard in comparison. Had the Fazer's foot pegs down on the first roundabout (not even on purpose) - awesome. Will see if i have some pics.

Have been looking at the Morgan Carbtune to balance the carbs, was wondering if that would make any difference? Seems pretty easy to do, not sure if it would effect the richness though? But should make it run smoother, very tempted (around £50 to buy).

Suppose i may have to take it to the local garage, :( , prefer to do what i can myself as garages have a habit of creating problems. For instance, just took in my new car (which has been running perfectly, with absolutely no problems) for a full service to the dealer, paid £400, and it has developed 3 problems within a month of the service. :eek:

I'm not sure if it had been jetted before i got it because although it has a scorpion can, things like the plugs and filter were all standard. Which makes me think they just wanted a new note.

Exactly what would normally be tuned after upgrading a exhaust/ plugs/ air filter?

Cheers

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Exactly what would normally be tuned after upgrading a exhaust/ plugs/ air filter?

On carbed motorcycles, some require a small adjustment to the needle jet position and maybe a slighly larger main jet. Sometimes certain motorcycles can just get away with not having any adjustments done to the carbs at all and still run fine.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and i have ordered a manual with the same thinking, but it hasn't arrived yet.

Ta

Hellboy you can download the service manual from here (thanks to one of the guys on the Dutch Fazer forum), just select the year you want (from one of the 3 green text links), the manuals are in English:thumbup:

Good luck with your problem.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like the bike might be in need of a tune up.. new plugs, carb adjustment (for the black) and honestly, you might want to have the head gasket checked.. usually white smoke means a head gasket.. at least it was that way on my old car.. hope it helps

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You stated you have a K&N airfilter in the bike, how much oil is on it? A light coat or is it soaking wet? If it is wet with oil that can cause a rich condition. Also is the air filter clean? If not it will make the bike run rich.

Begin with the simple things first. Good luck.

HellBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, took her for a 1 hr spin yesterday and worked great - no probs (was dry weather though). Took her to work this morning and she was cutting out again (was very wet/ raining). Have just rang garage, he thinks the bike is drawing in water somewhere and is a simple job/ cheap to fix. That sounds great. They are going to adjust mixture as well.

Ain't been to this garage before, hope they are good, sounded alright.

Thanks for all the advise/ links everyone.

:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Last edited: