Centerstand Removal Problem

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
So I went to take the centerstand off today, bolts came off easily enough, problem is, the one on the sidestand side cannot be removed because the very corner of the sidestand bracket is in the way. So I figured no biggy, just loosen up the sidestand a little bit so i can wiggle the centerstand bolt around the edge. But those sidestand bolts would have none of that and I didn't want to strip the head. Is there some secret to getting that centerstand bolt out from behind the sidestand?

ROACH1111

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same problem when I took mine off. I just wiggled that bolt and I think hit it with some random tools until it finally came loose, haha. You must overcome the frustration and be persistent with it. I never had to touch the sidestand. Good luck.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I only use the centerstand for maintenance so I am removing it for aesthetics and weight reduction in the meantime. Off topic, my roommate freshman year was from Spartanburg, SC. I got the impression it was a small town, maybe you knew him? ;)

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I just took the side stand bolts out and took it off. It took all of about 2 minutes.

I took mine off for the same reasons as mentioned before - I don't use it and the bike looks much better without it. The weight is negligible since the stand only weighs a couple of pounds (not 8 lbs as someone else has said). Drop the kids off at the pool before a ride and you could save the same amount of weight. :eek:

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I only use the centerstand for maintenance so I am removing it for aesthetics and weight reduction in the meantime. Off topic, my roommate freshman year was from Spartanburg, SC. I got the impression it was a small town, maybe you knew him? ;)
Yeah it is a pretty small town. Its not so small though you know everyone. Now some of the little towns in Spartanburg are so small ppl that live in them know each other. What was his name? I will let you know if I knew him.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my side stand recently & yes the hex socket screws are tight. They are also screw locked in place. Get a good quality* long reach hex key, insert well into the socket & pre-load it as much as possible. Then give it a good sharp tap with a mallet or dead-blow hammer. That should do it.

Alternatively, use a length of conduit or other suitable pipe over the end of the wrench & pull.

* I say use a good quality one as it is much less likely to round off & damage the screw.

Remember to apply a little screw-lock to the screws, when you replace them.

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you guys are nuts. :eek: The centerstand is one of the greatest things about the FZ6. Lubing your chain without it is a pain in the a$$. As far as improving the bike's looks, good engineering is a beautiful thing, and that side stand is a beautiful piece of engineering.