Chain lube and cleaning

DEATH4OF4

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok... I know there has to be a 100 threads on this... But i couldn't find the one i need... What is the best way to clean these stock chains and what is the best lubricant to use one them. Ive asked many people i know this question and as usual i get a different answer from each person. So as owners of an fz6 what would you recommend.wax,spray, or whatever.
Ty,
d

To clean my chain I use the "Kettenmax Premium" set... it can be a bit tricky to begin with to match it up perfectly with the strings and stuff, but it works well and doesn't make a mess. I always clean the chain if I had been caught in heavy rain or if the chain seems visibly dirty.

To lube the chain... hmm now here's where you really get tons of different answers. When I bought the bike 2 years ago (with unknown age of chain), I tried using differeing stuff. It turned out the chain was either lousy quality or maybe I was too dumb at the time (didn't lube it often enough or adjust chainslack often enough) = it got streched real bad.
Bought a high quality chain during Winther and have ever since been using "Profi Dry Lube". Again it doesn't make a mess of everything because it's a "dry lube". After a run the rear wheel doesn't seem smeared with grease unlike with other regular types of lube.

Hmm I guess I'll never know for sure if the above 2 products is the best (budget) solution for me... If this chain won't last would that then be because of the products I use or because I didn't use them properly? :D
But after 3-4.000 km with the new chain I didn't have to adjust chain-slack yet so I guess I have done something right so far.

SCOTTOILER >>> I only heard good things about this product. But I never got as far as buying it...

Last edited:
Yea, the owners manual says to use kerosene and a toothbrush to clean it and then to apply a chain wax. I've never used wax on a chain before or kerosene. I kinda miss my shaft drive for this reason. I do ride in the rain. I ended up having to buy some liquid wrench chain lube cause it was all i could get at the time. It was o ring approved. I could have gotten some kerosene but the 5 gallon jug wouldn't fit in my backpack.lol.

Back