Clutch in RPMs drop and engine dies

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
So before I take my bike to a mechanic I thought id get everyones input here.

My bike keeps randomly dieing when I come up to a stop light.
Some times I am in 2nd, or 3rd, etc which gear i am in does not seem to matter. Sometimes it doesnt even die.
I clutch in to down shift or stop quickly and the RPMs drop and the tack just continues to drop to zero because the engine died.

I thought maybe I should shift down through the gears as I come to a stop and not just clutch in stop and then move to first to start again when the light changes. Figured this would be best practice regaurdless....However sometimes I dont even have a chance to down shift before it kills IE last time this happened I was in 2nd, clutched in and it died before I was going slow enough for first.

Some times it takes a few tries in neutral to start the bike again.

I thought at first maybe I had some bad gas, since it was 4 years old and had less than 800 miles when I got it.....I have been through 3 tanks of premium(with ethenol, cant get it without here) with the problem still persisting.

Oil is fresh, everything on the bike is in pristine shape....the only thing not stock is it had a fender eliminator kit I think at one point but then was taken off...I assume this because the bolts have wear, and the turn signal and break wires were cut and spliced.

Is there anything you guys can suggest I check or try? I am getting sick of stalling in a intersection......embarassing and Dangerous!! :(

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
maybe the idle is set too low?

should be around 1300-1350, when you start the bike up it will run slightly higher until it gets up to temperature (mine idles around 1700-1800 when warming up)

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
I want to say it idles between 1000-1500, so right about where you suggested. However I will double check this when I get home tonight. Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes it's bad fuel. Running about 4 oz. of Sea Foam to a tank won't hurt.

Other popular defects that fit this anomaly are TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
Read this: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...ou-experiencing-poor-idle-mileage-stalls.html

Last but not least. The FZ6 seems to be weak in the Kill Switch department. We see a lot of the kill switches fail intermittently. If you take it apart to clean it, be careful cuz there are parts that will fly. :)

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i think the lowest mine goes is 1260, you can get a digital readout if you press the select button a couple of times

i'm also assuming it runs when you first start it, another option might be the TPS

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Just thought id post a follow up.......

I thought it was the idle was set too low....however I am not so sure now.

I was keeping on the throttle a little, thinking this would help it not stall......it worked.

So I was going to go and adjust the idle, but didnt have a chance and then when I was going to adjust it, I rode it and had zero stalling issues.

So I think it was bad gas. I filled up with Texaco when I first got the bike and then started having issues. Since then I have only used Chevron premium gas.

If the problem comes back I will check the TPS(might just for fun anyways) and look at the idle. 1k when warm seems a lil low, but if it works and runs then thats not bad is it?

Either way thanks for the input guys! Now I am focusing on some mods. :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just thought id post a follow up.......

I thought it was the idle was set too low....however I am not so sure now.

I was keeping on the throttle a little, thinking this would help it not stall......it worked.

So I was going to go and adjust the idle, but didnt have a chance and then when I was going to adjust it, I rode it and had zero stalling issues.

So I think it was bad gas. I filled up with Texaco when I first got the bike and then started having issues. Since then I have only used Chevron premium gas.

If the problem comes back I will check the TPS(might just for fun anyways) and look at the idle. 1k when warm seems a lil low, but if it works and runs then thats not bad is it?

Either way thanks for the input guys! Now I am focusing on some mods. :thumbup:

When colder air temps come about and with well used plugs, an unfavorable blend of fuel it may die. More than anything the cold air on a cold engine even though its not fast idle and you may see it die more often. if it doesn, you know what to do.

While at Chevron next time, buy a black bottle of Techron and feed it through the next 3 or 4 tanks. Great stuff for cleaning the system. I do it twice a year but try to get the last dose in before winter sets.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Well my problem disappeared on me, but just came back :( So id figure Id use the same thread since its the same symptoms and i suspect same problem.

Seems like the bike only has problems on HOT days(just like when I did my original post).

For whatever reason it seems to die when the engine is hot and its hot out side. Im talking 212F on the cluster and 95+F outside. My commute is only 10~ min and doesnt seem to get hot enough before I get home to have problems. However this sucks on the weekends when I go for long rides.

Idle is fine, spark plugs have 3k miles on them. Been using only Chevron gas since the first time this happened last year.

Guess I will check the TPS sensors? I dont think its the kill switch since it really only happens when things hit high temps.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh also it doesnt die if its just idling......only if I rev the engine and let go of the throttle.....or if I have to let of the gas quick to make a fast stop(which naturally I try to avoid normally).

RPMs drop fast when the bike is hot, engine dies.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
What altitude are you? My bike does the same when in the mountins on hot days. I just turn up the idle to compensate.
It seems to be around the 1500m and above mark for me, but only from high revs to low whe coming to a quick stop or sudden change down to first.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What year is your bike? It will help us to work out what the issue is.
Pre 2007 sounds like a TPS issue.

Neil:thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What year is your bike? It will help us to work out what the issue is.
Pre 2007 sounds like a TPS issue.

Neil:thumbup:

Its an 08 (in his upper LS section) Neil.

What EXACTLY (RPM's)is the idle set at? NOT fine, we need a number please.

IF LOW, bumping it up to 12-1300 RPM's should help ALOT.

Unless your getting some pinging/knocking, put regular fuel in it, Premium burns slower(prevents pinging/knocking), the manual calls for regular which burns "normally"(probably not the correct wording Randy).

ANY OTHER MOD'S, changes, etc?

Again, some Seafoam or techtron can't hurt..

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its an 08 (in his upper LS section) Neil.

What EXACTLY (RPM's)is the idle set at? NOT fine, we need a number please.

IF LOW, bumping it up to 12-1300 RPM's should help ALOT.

Unless your getting some pinging/knocking, put regular fuel in it, Premium burns slower(prevents pinging/knocking), the manual calls for regular which burns "normally"(probably not the correct wording Randy).

ANY OTHER MOD'S, changes, etc?

Again, some Seafoam or techtron can't hurt..
Thanks Scott for some reason I can no longer see the "Garage" in the profile section?
Back to the thread, as I understand it the TPS issue was fixed by the time the S2 was released?

Neil

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott for some reason I can no longer see the "Garage" in the profile section?
Back to the thread, as I understand it the TPS issue was fixed by the time the S2 was released?

Neil

Neil, the year of his bike is listed just under his Username(in the top left corner).

Yep, the garage section crashed quite awhile ago(the moderators are aware of it).

And yes the TPS issue was for the 04-05 models, not the 06 per the US recall site:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Q? Will it idle in low gear under load I.e. traveling at idle speed or does it just die throwing you over the bars? Do you by chance run an oiled air filter and did you ever run the Techron black bottle through it?

Can you be more does descriptive about how it dies? Some may misfire stumble shake cough and then die. Your description sounds like its being turned off
Any reason not to suspect the clutch switch and linking this to the high temps? << not sure why on the temps but as you know when wires/contacts get hot, the resistance goes up.

Just some thoughts...

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The run switch fault also causes a sudden engine off, might this be a possible cause?

Nelly:thumbup: