clutch issues

discovery

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello to all.I am new to the forum.

I have FZ6S s2,2007. with 21500 km.

Here is my problem:

When I ride my bike,and when I shift down from third to second gear,and If I try to "rev" my engine a little bit with the clutch disengaged(clutch lever pulled up-transmission in second gear),i hear some ticking ,or I would say tension in the clutch,as I rev,but only between 2000-3500 rpm,like it is trying to engage.This only happens while the bike is rolling.If I stop and try to rev it in second gear with the clutch lever pulled up,there is no sound,or clicking noise from the clutch itself.

Also,If my bike is let's say in second or third gear,and it is shut down,if I am holding the clutch lever,and when I start the enigine,bike simply leans forward,no matter what,with lever pulled up,like it is engaged,but only few centimetres.

Could this be due to the sticky clutch plates,or what do you guys think it can be?

tHANKS

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Where does your clutch usually grab? When the lever is released almost all the way or close to the bar? Try to set it up so that it grabs with the lever relatively far from bar to make sure you fully disengage the power from the engine when clutch is pulled in.
When was the last time oil was changed and what kind of oil is in there?
If it hasn't been changed in a while and it's not synthetic, that would be #1 to-do on my list.

bazza

I'll sleep when I die!!
Reaction score
Visit site
G'day mate. Try changing the oil. the previous owner might have used ordinary car oil in it, which is not made for bike clutches. I had an old VF1000 and previous owner had used car oil and I got clutch creep and clutch noises.
( make sure you change filter aswell)
Hope this helps
Regards Bazza

discovery

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello friends :)

I bought the bike 3 months ago,and I went to Yamaha service center to make a full service on 20 000km.It included new spark plugs,oil filter,oil,air filter and all other stuff that needs changing or adjusting in 20 000.

So,the oil is new,and I have Motul 300V in it now.

discovery

Reaction score
Visit site
Where does your clutch usually grab? When the lever is released almost all the way or close to the bar? Try to set it up so that it grabs with the lever relatively far from bar to make sure you fully disengage the power from the engine when clutch is pulled in.
When was the last time oil was changed and what kind of oil is in there?
If it hasn't been changed in a while and it's not synthetic, that would be #1 to-do on my list.

the clutch grabs on the middle somwhere

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm. Silly question, but have you checked oil level? Try to adjust clutch engagement point so it grabs a bit farther from the bar than mid point. You don't necessarily have to leave it in that position, but this will be a good test.

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
I would say to pull it apart and see what you have going on in there. Better safe that having it let you down out on the road.

That is pretty low mileage and should not be happening.

Things I have seen in the past that could cause this are a notched clutch basket but I cannot imagine that with those miles.

Check the plates to make sure they are not warped.

And maybe a couple of oil changes will fix it up for you. :thumbup:

Marc

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with all these assessments. Make sure you have mechanical disengagement with regard to the cables first. You may have premature failure or wear on a cable because of deferred maintenance on the cables. There are 2 cable assemblies. If you lift the tank you will see the center cable joint and adjuster between the frame and airbox, looking down on the left side of the bike.
Make sure the cables are lubricated and operate smoothly. Adjust it at the lever to engage later. Meaning clutch engagement with your fingers extended out more towards full release of the lever. You should still have some play at the very end of the lever. The FZ6 clutch is known to have a very short friction/engagement zone. This might help to establish that you are getting full disengagement with the cable assembly. Make sure all is mechanically good at the lever assembly on the right side of the motor where the cable operates the clutch. If you are satisfied that this part of the mechanism is healthy but still don't have full disengagement there's something else going on and you will need to dig deeper.

discovery

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the support guys,I will try to open it up,but before, I will make some adjustments and see if it makes any difference

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
thanks for the support guys,I will try to open it up,but before, I will make some adjustments and see if it makes any difference

If you have had the bike serviced by Yamaha, and it is not working the way you expected it to..... take it back and ask them to look at it again.

You might not have a problem at all; you might have had a lousy mechanic adjust everything.

Ask them to compare your bike to a new FZ6, so you can tell what should be happening.