Clutch lever hard to pull??? The FIX!!!

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I removed and re-attached the bottom end of the cable on it the way I did dozens of times before (while lubing the cable), gonna go to the garage and double check to make sure, thanks for the idea!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, you should NOT have to remove that arm, period, just bend that little retainer at the end of that arm.

There should be two marks, one on the case (more of a triangle) and one on the arm. When assembled and clutch adjusted correctly, they SHOULD LINE UP.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It should work the way it did before but easier... It isn't slipping, it isn't disengaging.

You didn't pull the little "arm/lever" at the engine did you?
Yup, I put the bike in gear, squeezed the clutch fully, and I couldn't rotate the back wheel by hand, it felt as if the clutch wasn't actuated at all.

The arm/lever looks aligned ok, right?
1f192d35604efb62f8d646169306558e.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm running out of suggestions.... I gather the mid section adjuster was set approx half ways out, maybe more?

(sounds as if everything is assembled correctly)

Do you have a shop manual? How does the "pull feel"?

**Pull the oil filler cap on the right side cover. Look inside at the clutch plates.

Now pull the clutch lever and see if there's movement in the clutch. The main aluminum clutch (with the springs holding it on), should move about 1/8". I just looked/checked mine.

What is yours doing (nothing I suspect)...?

Last edited:

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ssss, damn, I had it set almost completely screwed in. My thinking was, since the cable will stretch while it breaks in and then due to wear later down the road I better set it tight in the midsection (but with the correct freeplay at the clutch lever).

Gonna take everything apart in the morning (kept the mid section retainer so I can't just pull the cable out, duh!), readjust and see what happens.

P.S.
Re the shop manual, yes I have one in PDF

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Pull the oil fill cap and see if the clutch is moving approx 1/8" when the clutch lever is pulled:

And screwing in the adjuster makes the cable LOOSER, not taking out the play, just the opposite.

You should NOT have reg clutch play if it was / is super loose..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ssss, damn, I had it set almost completely screwed in. My thinking was, since the cable will stretch while it breaks in and then due to wear later down the road I better set it tight in the midsection (but with the correct freeplay at the clutch lever).

Gonna take everything apart in the morning (kept the mid section retainer so I can't just pull the cable out, duh!), readjust and see what happens.

You can get that adjuster W/O yanking the air filter, etc IF that zip tie (to the frame) is removed.

Simply remove both ends of the cable, pull them out (just leave enough to grab for re-assembly) on the LEFT (PORT) side of the bike and you CAN get to the adjuster. MUCH faster.

Figure it needs to be at least half ways out, (mine needed at least that)

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I'm definitely gonna cut that zip tie. Just realized, this symptom could be completely unrelated to the cable, it's only that I noticed it now.

Thanks for the help, gonna report back tomorrow!

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's working correctly, thanks...

In neutral, does the rear wheel spin by hand?
Yes, and the oil has less than 400 miles on it, Motul 7100 10W40 so the plates shouldn't be sticking.

P.S.
When it's in gear and the clutch lever pulled all the way in I can't move the tire by hand but I can push the bike around but I feel the resistance.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With your video and what you posted, it should be working correctly... has the bike been sitting a long time?

I was going to have you check your engine sprocket nut, to see if it's there. (Might not be a bad idea-that nut has come loose on occasion).

I think I would recheck the entire installation and adjust the cable (mid section as well) first. Something is not right...

No other issues/fixes, etc, prior to just this cable replacement(not counting the oil change) correct?

If the front sprocket nut is tight, the cable correct (as it appears to be), it would seem the clutch is NOT releasing, some plates are indeed sticking.

Put the bike in say 2nd gear (engine OFF) and rock it back and forth with the clutch lever pulled in. See if you can get it to slip as it's apparently frozen and not releasing fully (with the only things you've done, gear box un-damaged, sprocket nut tight, etc)...

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With your video and what you posted, it should be working correctly... has the bike been sitting a long time?
Quite the opposite, don't own a car, ride year round

I was going to have you check your engine sprocket nut, to see if it's there. (Might not be a bad idea-that nut has come loose on occasion).
Both sprockets and the chain replaced 2 months ago at the Yamaha dealer shop.
I think I would recheck the entire installation and adjust the cable (mid section as well) first. Something is not right...

No other issues/fixes, etc, prior to just this cable replacement(not counting the oil change) correct?

If the front sprocket nut is tight, the cable correct (as it appears to be), it would seem the clutch is NOT releasing, some plates are indeed sticking.

Put the bike in say 2nd gear (engine OFF) and rock it back and forth with the clutch lever pulled in. See if you can get it to slip as it's apparently frozen and not releasing fully (with the only things you've done, gear box un-damaged, sprocket nut tight, etc)...
No issues, had it for ~7000 kilometres (4+ k miles)

Actually went for a 1-2 mile ride right after I finished replacing the cable and noticed it sticking. Thought it's because the oil got cold but when I re-checked after the ride it was the same.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dunno.

I would check that ft sprocket thou, (three small allan head bolts to access-just to make sure)...

Will the engine run, in gear, with the clutch pulled in? (W/O noticeable drag)

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Will the engine run, in gear, with the clutch pulled in? (W/O noticeable drag)
Yes, the engine runs no problem, I don't feel like there is enough drag to move the bike, I'm hoping it's the mid section adjustment. And I will check the front sprocket nut - and WILL be pissed if they screwed it up because the main reason I went to the licenced dealership to replace the sprockets is I read here that nut can be tricky.