Clutch lever resistance

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought my first MC, 2004 FZ6. Everything checked out but I was not able to get someone to test ride for me. Anyway, when going over the MC I noticed the clutch lever is pretty tough to pull back. I'm not a super strong guy but not a weakling either and this clutch lever takes an abnormal amount of strength to squeeze all the way in.

I ordered the cable lube kit yesterday but I just didn't know if this was something g you just get used to or if I need to start troubleshooting. I plan on doing some parking lot practicing with no one around until July when I take the MSF course.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, FZ6 has a heavy clutch. Lubing might help (if your cable is currently dry or dirty), but only to a degree. There's a mod out there to make the clutch lighter and increase the range of friction zone: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/35451-clutch-slave-levers-im-making-them-again.html

Personally, I don't like the feel with that mod. In my opinion it makes it feel "dead", but everyone who's installed it absolutely loves it.

The other upgrade to look into is an aftermarket set of levers with adjustable reach. Brand name ones are pricey. Chinese copies are cheap (and have worked great for me on 2 bikes)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to have problems with the clutch lever and after a long day of riding I could feel it. I cleaned and lubed the cables and it made all the difference in the world! I should really improve with the Killernoodle mod! :)

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. I'll try the mod and maybe some new levers if I can't get it sorted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

:welcome:

I'd caution on rushing to mod- the bike was perfectly rideable out of the factory and the OEM levers are pretty good.

Lube the clutch cable and adjust the lever so it's in line with the top of your hand. If it's stiff and notchy/doesn't pull smoothly, replace the clutch cable for $20. Previous owners may not have maintained it. When I replaced mine, the new OEM cable was an upgrade as it had an inner plastic sheathe.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I'd caution on rushing to mod- the bike was perfectly rideable out of the factory and the OEM levers are pretty good.

Lube the clutch cable and adjust the lever so it's in line with the top of your hand. If it's stiff and notchy/doesn't pull smoothly, replace the clutch cable for $20. Previous owners may not have maintained it. When I replaced mine, the new OEM cable was an upgrade as it had an inner plastic sheathe.

Excellent advice :thumbup:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
If the cable is original to the bike then it's time to replace it, 9 years is a long time. Also most aftermarket levers are shorter then stock meaning even less mechanic advantage. I have owned a lot of bikes and the fz clutch to me seem about average.

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not a super strong guy but not a weakling either and this clutch lever takes an abnormal amount of strength to squeeze all the way in.

In my recent experience, on my 2007: Change out the clutch cable ($32 at my dealer this spring) - lube the heck out of it after you install it - put a folded wad of paper towel below the bottom end of the clutch cable, and lube until you get cable lube running out the bottom (I kept the paper towel wad there for a week or two). The new cables have an inner plastic sheath, so make sure you get the cable lube inside the white plastic sheath, next to the metal cable. Do the Killernoodle clutch end lever mod - really a no brainer, and makes the clutch setup and its feel "4 hole adjustable". Then get used to not pulling the clutch all the way to the handlebars. IMHO, the FZ6 clutch is much like a Toyota clutch - it starts grabbing or releasing very near the end of the free play, rather than near or against the bars. That's a little weird in traffic, but once you're in second gear or higher, you only need to "click" the clutch lever in a little bit, to take some pressure off the gears, and you can readily shift up a gear, no sweat. I had trouble with the clutch at first since my last bike was a Yamaha TW200, and the clutch had to go most of the way to the bars - but I really like the FZ6 clutch now. Works easy, and makes the upper gear changes go fast with very little clutch pull needed. YMMV.
- - - Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

+1^ and or replace the cable. Keep it lubed after being installed too. Once its up to snuff, I've found its not difficult at all to pull.

I actually ordered the KN mod, then cancelled the order. With the KN mod, the engagement zone is larger, thus easier to pull. It also makes quick/short shifting, slightly longer which I didn't want.

IMHO, once its back to nomal, your hand will get stronger and you'll get used to the stock engagment zone with time.