Clutch Slave Levers - I'm making them again

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
So I have been getting steady requests for my clutch slave levers since the last run I did in 2006. I didn't have a workshop at school so I couldn't make any.

So I bought my own house about a year ago and have been outfitting the garage with all the tools I need for my various projects. I'm now ready to start making clutch slave levers again. I originally did this over at SBN (the original thread on the other forum for reference).

I was told I'd get more replies if I posted here, so here I go:

The primary purpose of the lever is to make the clutch pull of the bike longer for a smoother engagement and less lever force required to disengage the clutch. This prevents stalling at lights, jerking between shifts, etc. It also makes your left hand happy from the reduced tension on the shifter lever. The bike generally becomes easier to ride, even easier to drag race.

If you want to send me your lever for modification, I'd be happy to do it for you. The only caveat to this, however, is that I won't be ordering a bunch of levers like I did last time and modify them. That was a HUGE hassle for me. What I would rather do is you guys to send in your cores and me modify them en mass and mail them back to you. Additionally, I'd like to also modify the bracket that holds the cable, since adjusting this piece would keep the geometry better. So if you want to have this done, please respond to this post and when I get enough people to do it at once, I'll order all the supplies I need and you guys can all ship your levers and brackets at the same time so the turnaround will be fast.

The levers will be similar to the last ones I made, but I'll be using my fancy new TIG welder this go-around and the bracket that holds the cable will have an extension welded to it. All parts will be powdercoated the matte textured black, just like last time (they match the '06+ frames beautifully, and still look awesome on the '04-05 frames).

Since these are kinda finicky to make and everything is done by hand, the price to have it modified will be $50. This includes the lever and the bracket. If you already have one of my levers and you want to have the cable bracket modified for a straighter pull for less cable wear and powdercoated, It will be $20.

Transactions
spideyrex - Shipped - Core received!
tjhess74 - Shipped
FizzySix - Shipped
motojoe122 - Shipped
DefyInertia - Shipped
Yamma~Tiger - Shipped
wolfe1down - Shipped
fzme - Shipped
Shoey - Shipped - Core received!
brianwny - Shipped
SirIsaac - Shipped
lazamus69 - Shipped
discgolfdude - Shipped - Core received!
tom5796 - Shipped
fenderfreek - Shipped - Core received!
macem29 - Shipped
Mike100 - Shipped
-7- - Shipped
kmh0 - Shipped
fordfanmatt - Shipped
QwickFliCk - Shipped
737driver - Shipping
GearIsGood - Shipped
Havok3c - Shipped
Legion - Shipped
ngsm13! - Shipped

No more orders please! I'm all out of supplies. If you are still interested, I'll probably make another run of these in a few months. Just stay tuned! (sending PMs will only fill up my box :) )

attachment.php

33759d1298519476-clutch-slave-levers-im-making-them-again-img_20110223_223331.jpg

Last edited:

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I'm in (I also replied in the other forum) Thank you very much for following up and offering this to the community. From all the feedback the last time you made these levers, I am very excited about seeing your work. The narrow clutch on my FZ6 is the one thing that still annoys me and this is such a smart and simple fix.

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
im in too. im new to yamahas, and so far im not a fan of the clutch pull action.

the core idea is fine by me.

im not a member of the site in that link, could you post a few pics of the area/parts in question. im not near my bike, but i have a good idea of lever in my head.

Last edited:

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm definitely in! If you recall, I just missed the very last one you made back in '06. I was hoping you would start making these again!

The other thing you could consider is offering a second, higher price level where you supply the lever and bracket. That way people don't miss any riding while you're reconfiguring the lever, and they still have the stock lever, similar to doing other mods.

It would also let you maintain a running offering in the forums or investigate other distribution channels outside the forums, rather than limiting sales to orchestrating a group send-in every so often.

Edit: I just went back and re-read the old SBN threads. I remember now: you started with offering the lever and moved to the "exchange" model because you bought out all the stock available at the suppliers! :)

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Count me in on that one! My 97yz250 had the same issue....got use to it tho. Maybe that why my left hand is stronger...hmmmmm?:BLAA:
Joe:thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Killer...you're the man. I would like one this time around.

WHen you talking about adjusting the bracket to "keep the geometry better" you are saying you have come up with a way to put less strain on the clutch cable?

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Killer...you're the man. I would like one this time around.

WHen you talking about adjusting the bracket to "keep the geometry better" you are saying you have come up with a way to put less strain on the clutch cable?

Exactly that. The original system I had used the stock cable hanger. Its the chrome piece that is just behind the lever on the motor. With the cable attached to the 3rd hole (the farthest one out) it put a side load on the cable because of the increased angle. This load may cause the plastic sleeve around the cable to wear prematurely if the cable lube dries up. My solution is to weld an extension on the end of that bracket to hang the cable farther out, thus reducing the strain and making the pull straighter.

Naturally, the cable is already significantly less strained because the force it has to exert on the lever is less with this mod. As far as I can see it, there is no downside to this.

I'd love to just have a stockpile of levers to modify, but I got tired of trying to scavenge the parts I needed for the job. I'm pretty sure the run I did last time cleaned out all of Yamaha's spares for that particular part. If I can find someone to just provide the splined inner piece I'd be happy to just make a ton of levers with those, but after days of searching I found nothing.

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in. But like Fizzy Six said, would you be able to make the lever and bracket, and sand them to us? instead of having US send in our levers? I wouldn't mind paying extra. Thanks!!!

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
hi killer im intirigued by this mod, not 100% sure if i want to do it or not but very intrigued nonetheless. i have another idea for you guys

if killernoodle would provide us with the part numbers that he needs for the modification, we could order and buy the parts ourselves, and send them to killer while we can still ride our bike with its original lever, hows that?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like that idea about buying the parts and sending them in. I like being able to ride on the days its nice enough out. Please keep me posted as well, thanks.
Joe:thumbup:

magicc8ball

Reaction score
Visit site
I like the idea of us buying the parts and having them shipped to you. Reason being is I am in the market for a FZ6 so as of right now I do not have the bike so I could not send you the hardware....

Let me know what you decide! :thumbup:

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
This sounds very interesting. Would it be possible to order the push lever assy from Ron Ayers and have them deliver it to your address? That would be much faster and cheaper for me compared to buying in Norway and shipping to you.

From what I can see, the correct part at Ronayers.com Ron Ayers Motorsports is part# 5VX-16340-00-00, named "PUSH LEVER ASSY" for my 2004 FZ6-S. Can anyone please confirm that this is the right part?

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there ANY chance this mod can do any damage to the internals?

This modification will increase the amount of clutch lever and cable travel necessary to rotate the clutch release shaft a given amount. Let's assume that you will adjust the cable adjuster to have the normal amount of free play with the clutch lever all the way out, so no worries about the clutch not being fully engaged when the clutch lever is out. With the clutch lever pulled all the way in, the clutch release shaft will not be rotated as far as with the stock set up. If the point of total clutch release is beyond that amount of rotation, then the clutch will drag during shifts and when stopped with the clutch lever pulled in while in gear. Dragging at a stop will wear out the clutch plates sooner and generate heat. If you keep the bike in gear with the clutch pulled at stops, this could be an issue. If it drags much during shifts, it could cause wear to transmission shift forks and the dogs on the gears. If the point of total clutch release is within the maximum rotation range that the new slave lever will provide, then the above potential problems will not be an issue. Based on how far out the friction zone is with the FZ6 clutch, I do not believe there will be any problems, but in the end only you can decide if you think it is a good idea.

The above is just my opinion based on basic knowledge about how the clutch and transmission work. I’m no expert, additional information and/or comments are encouraged.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I had one of these from the original SBN order and all I can say is Killer's design worked like a charm!!! A very nice addition to your FZ6!!

Glad to see you are making them again as I personally have received about a dozen emails over the years asking where they can get one! :thumbup:

This is a very good and inexpensive mod that should be done to every FZ6!!

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
It is funny....I was just day dreaming about this mod the other day wishing I had never turned down the original opportunity to pick one up!