combat gear?

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I know this is the FZ6 forum, but I also know we have a lot of combat veterans from multiple countries on the forum. I will be heading to Afghanistan here in a bit. It will be my third combat tour as infantry in the Army. My question for you all is what piece or couple pieces of gear/kit, weapon attachment, or other must have would you have to have if you had to go back?

S

Shamus McFeeley

I'm not saying that I've been anywhere or done anything, but if I had, this is the advice I would give you:

look into getting some magpul p or e-mags if you don't have them already. You'll be amazed at how smooth they are vs. the standard magazines.
Magpul Link

If you're pounding dirt you'll probably be wearing the danners, but you might look into the Oakley boots as well. You can find a better price if you look around, I was hesitant to spend $175 on boots, but they were totally worth it.
Oakley Link

The VTAC sling is awesome. Once again, kind of expensive but I was sold on it when I had a chance to use one during a course. I have the original style, but they make a wider padded version now as well.
VTAC Link

Last edited by a moderator:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A good laptop, and a Visa card for mail order.

For combat stuff I used Magpul followers, Benchmade knife, and a Surefire light. For clothing I bought a Winter Silk ninja suit, and Woolrich socks. Other than that it was all GI.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not in combat so I can't give you advice about that. All I can tell you is don't bring everything they issued you. For example, all the cold weather stuffs...you will not need all 7 layers. As for the modular sleeping bag, I only bring one layer. Less to carry and less to worry about.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing that I wanted for my last tour (and didn't get) was a pelican case for my laptop. On my first deployment my laptop got crushed and ended up with a cracked screen. My laptop survived this last deployment some how but I would still have it on my wish list for any future deployment.

I agree with what tcmalker is saying, everytime you deploy they throw a bunch of gear at you. I was able to a bunch of stuff home, but then I work in an office so some of the stuff I never touched.

A comfortable Sling is a good thing to have. Your going to walk around with that weapon every where you go so having something that works for you is a good investment. I've seen guys walk around with these "high speed" slings and they sit there and fumble with it while they are trying to do things. So being practical and proficient is also important. :p

I also like to have a good knife with me. Something that is functional, so a big knife that actually doubles as a sword wouldn't be practical. Sure they may be cool and all but something small works better. I had a SF Medic tell me that he keeps a small pocket knife for most things. Anything bigger is just for the ego. :p

Comfortable boots: Your going to be walking everywhere. Unless your that high up in rank then you get a Gator :p The boots issued are great. And as a reserve soldier they will work for the weekend or the couple weeks of training in the summer. But when you have to wear them every day it's nice to have something comfortable. I had a pair of Blackhawks and loved them. I had a pair of Converse when I was in Iraq and they were great, but the zipper made them (out of regs) but no one cared where I was at.

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
Danner boots cannot be beat. I am no longer in the service, but still wear Danners for training guardsmen and reservists. The TFX GTX have served me well. The heavier Danner Acadia boots may be more in line depending on the duty you are going to be pulling. We tell our guys that if they are not moving they are dying and if your feet are jacked up you are not going to be moving very well. So take good care of them. Your boots have to fit well and the right socks will go a long way. A good liner sock can add a better wicking effect to help keep your feet dry and healthy.

Big fan of the Blackhawk Dieter sling. Converts from 2 to single point. Also the Blackhawk QD mount for either your thigh rig or a vest for your side arm. The Camelback Armorback is another favorite.

Good gloves. Hatch, Blackhawk, and Oakley are the hi-speed low drag favorites. I personally have gotten better wear out of Mechanix or Ringers gloves. The latter are also much more cost effective if you are buying them your self.

Hopefully you are issued Crye Precision uniforms. They are the best fitting and comfortable I have experienced. We had nothing like that for Desert Storm.

There is all kinds of really good stuff out there, but none of it is any good to you if you are not proficient in using it.

Godspeed to you and your fellow troops.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not saying that I've been anywhere or done anything, but if I had, this is the advice I would give you:

look into getting some magpul p or e-mags if you don't have them already. You'll be amazed at how smooth they are vs. the standard magazines.
Magpul Link

If you're pounding dirt you'll probably be wearing the danners, but you might look into the Oakley boots as well. You can find a better price if you look around, I was hesitant to spend $175 on boots, but they were totally worth it.
Oakley Link

The VTAC sling is awesome. Once again, kind of expensive but I was sold on it when I had a chance to use one during a course. I have the original style, but they make a wider padded version now as well.
VTAC Link

Great info thanks alot. Already have the P-mags as well as magpuls ms-2 sling. I am currently in a pair of the Blackhawk Desert op boots, found it hard to spend the loot on the Oakleys as well.

For everybody else, I will do my best to keep you updated while being careful not to put to much information online. Lets just say when I post a thread about long term bike storage you will know then that I am leaving soon.

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
I have only been deployed by the Army once and it was too Iraq back in 07-08. Things have changed already I am sure, also you have been over there more than me so I can't think of anything you may already have...

but I will suggest something small with loud speaker so you can listen to music while you are on the road waiting hours for EOD to show up :thumbup:

Good Luck and Be Safe Brotha:america:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott,

Forgot to mention in our previous conversations:

It gets cold there (not sure what length of Tour you guys do - but I always end up over being there over their winter/rainy season).

I used this over there, and it was magnificent!

Snugpak :thumbup:

These guys are from the UK and specialize in cold, wet weather gear (go figure). It packs WAY smaller than out issued Canadian Arctic sleeping bag, and packs down to about a football size. You can get a silk liner for a little added warmth.

This was the model I used (and on a subsequent Roto as well) but they have many more models, incl. ones that have reinforced foot wells for sleeping with your boots on (it'll happen) and 'explode out' zippers for when things go bump in the night...

Again, good luck mate!

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
gpostarmy,
Iraq vet here...
Here are a few things I always take with me: (they may seem obvious)

-550 cord...you can do all kinds of things with it and it doesn't take up a lot of space.
- a small but good quality pocket knife (always keep it on you)
- A good pair of gloves with the carbon fiber knuckle guards and re-enforced palms
- Fire resistant Baclava (x2)
- quality earplugs
- good knee and elbow pads (Uncle Sams are a bit questionable and dont stay in place)

Be safe and givem hell
Armystrong

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
The one thing I forgot to mention is the Microfiber Towels. I was able to find them at the PX and I loved them. They are like a sham wow and come in different sizes, fold up extra small but can do the job of a full size towel. I always hated having to pack the towel up to walk to the shower, so once I found these it was easier to pack it in along with my HBA stuff.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
Scott,

Forgot to mention in our previous conversations:

It gets cold there (not sure what length of Tour you guys do - but I always end up over being there over their winter/rainy season).

I used this over there, and it was magnificent!

Snugpak :thumbup:

These guys are from the UK and specialize in cold, wet weather gear (go figure). It packs WAY smaller than out issued Canadian Arctic sleeping bag, and packs down to about a football size. You can get a silk liner for a little added warmth.

This was the model I used (and on a subsequent Roto as well) but they have many more models, incl. ones that have reinforced foot wells for sleeping with your boots on (it'll happen) and 'explode out' zippers for when things go bump in the night...

Again, good luck mate!

The one thing I forgot to mention is the Microfiber Towels. I was able to find them at the PX and I loved them. They are like a sham wow and come in different sizes, fold up extra small but can do the job of a full size towel. I always hated having to pack the towel up to walk to the shower, so once I found these it was easier to pack it in along with my HBA stuff.

Thanks guys this is just the type of obscure, and random items I was trying to find out about. I do a lot of walking around and better performing lighter items is the name of the game. Towels take up a lot of space.

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't speak for it under full auto but I put a couple mags though a FN SCAR the other day and I'm very impresed with it if have the chance to train on one I would request it. I don't know if you guys get them already or not but some smartwool socks could also be a great thing.

Redback

Reaction score
Visit site
an invisible cloak failing that a body guard haha seriously though
boots boots boots and some good gloves take it easy over there mate stay safe