Coming to America!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rightio...i have made an exucutive decision tonight! In 2012, i am "coming to America"...yep, that's right....in the next 12 months or so, i am going to do everything i can to make a tour of America possible!

I have done most of Australia, most of Europe on a bike, now it's time to bite the bullet, and get my ar$e to the greatest democracy in the Western World....The United States of America...and possibly some of Canada!

Yes, that's right...i am going to grab my amazing partner, the Amazing Jess, and we are going to come and ride the best road's we can find in the U S of A!

While we are at it, we are going to try and take in the Moto GP rounds at Laguna Seca, and Indianapolis....,why would'nt you!!!!

Am thinking about a 4 week tour! On a bike, not some nancy pancy Goldwing, but a kick a$$ sports tourer with bulk grunt!

This will be a MASSIVE undertaking, and a HUGE financial commitment, but whoever let's financial constraints get in the way of following their dreams, will die wondering, and that aint me!!!

I wanna see the best of the USA, and hopefully some of Canada!

Am thinking 10000km's plus....

Will be a logistical nightmare, but a dream come true!

Will have to leave my 2 awesome kids with their mum's while we are investigating the "American dream"!

But hey, you are only young once....and the way i live, it's better to do it now, than leave it to we are too old to enjoy it to it's fullest....

The research starts now!!!!

Would like to start on one side of the States, and get to the other side, then makeour way up to Canada...cause the Rocky Mountans, and Alaska hold a huge amount of interest for me....

Of course, we would be doing this trip in the height of your summer....and we would have to buy a bike upon arrival, and get rid of it before we go home....

Now, the thing is, i know nothing about the best roads in North America....HELP!!!!

I would love to catch up with some great people i have come to respect a lot via this forum....Hellgate, Wavex, Steph, Motogiro, Goop, Lonesoldier, Krid80, Defyinertia, Shreveport1, Reoibard,Chemiker, Bd43, FZ1inNH, Deanowens,VEGASRIDER, Lytehouse, Elizabeth, etc, etc, etc, THE LIST GOES ON!!!!....and many more, including our fearless leader, Dennis! In fact, as many forum members as we could...especially, to join in on our rides across North America!

This is deadly serious....and a huge undertaking...but WTF...life is for living!

Planning starts now!

If any other Aussie's wanna join us on a SERIOUS motorcycling tour...not a tourist run...but a bike run....as many kilometres/ miles as possible...get your act together now, and jump onboard!!!!

My aim is to get to the states, ride hard, party hard, and get home safe, and with the knowledge that a bike will take to us to places we have only dreamed of riding to!!!!

Only God knows what bike we will end up on, it does not matter, it's the adventure that excites me!

So, the adventure starts here...saving starts tomorrow!

Input is required from our USA/Canadian friends....help will be required to make it possible...places to stay, where to buy a bike, where to start, where to end, etc, etc, etc....

I wanna do this before me and the missus settle down to add to my family of kids!!!! i owe it to my missus to share this with her, before we make our own "place" in the world with an extended family of our own...

Epic bike riding journey's are my thing....please help me make it happen!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like quite an adventure you have brewing! Folks with much more touring experience than me can help you plan the particulars, but I'm in for hooking up on the West Coast when you make it out this way. It will be interesting to see how this comes together :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any plans of visiting Northern Michigan? We have some very scenic and twisty roads.

At this pont i am clueless, but am hoping that the wonderful people of this awesome forum, can get on google maps, etc, and give me idea's of where to ride, etc....am not a fan of straight roads! Am not a fan of "tourist sites", although, i do have a few places that i want to visit...the Grand Canyon, Victoria Falls, anything that is truely Spectacular to view, and places that are truely awe inspiring!

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And of course we have to do a forum ride in your honor here in San Diego area with Palomar Mountain, Montezuma Valley Rd. etc. etc.!
Lot's of rides! and if you're going to do Angeles Crest we have to get all the hoons we can get together for that also. :BLAA::rockon:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you hit up Southern California you must do a run through Angeles Crest to Newcomb Ranch or hit up Mullholand and stop at the famous Rock Store just below "The Snake" section of Mullholand highway. Jay Leno might even be there with his jet bike if your lucky. Anyway good luck I know you'll love the roads this country has to offer.

California is a "must", that's for sure....As for meeting celebrities, that could be fun too....would love to find the Teutels in Orange County...just because they are a "freakshow"....i would love to get "on the pi$$" with Mikey...i reckon he would have a story or two to tell...that you would never get to hear about by watching American Chopper...

Jay Leno is definitely a person i would love to meet, just to see his amazing collection of vehicles, cars and bikes included....

The posiibility of either of these things happening would probably be remote...but dreams are dreams...

:thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And of course we have to do a forum ride in your honor here in San Diego area with Palomar Mountain, Montezuma Valley Rd. etc. etc.!
Lot's of rides! and if you're going to do Angeles Crest we have to get all the hoons we can get together for that also. :BLAA::rockon:

Cliff, you would be very high on the list of peple i would wanna catch up with, and go riding, drinking, adventuring with....And as for Hoons...that's a given, Hoons attract hoons....aint no fun in being a "shrinking voilet"!!!! Now i just have to convince Mikey (Ozzieboy) to join me on this crazy quest....and i know he would love it...cause he is the biggest hoon of all....and the best bloke you will ever meet, a gentleman, and a nutbag all in one!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

He would ride rings around all of us....no doubt, and come out the other end as cool as a cucumber! He is a "freak"!!!

:rockon:

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
California is a "must", that's for sure....As for meeting celebrities, that could be fun too....would love to find the Teutels in Orange County...just because they are a "freakshow"...
:thumbup:

That is not Orange County California they are in NY just a little outside NYC off the 87 thruway in Newburgh I believe. (I used to live in upstate NY only reason I know this)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff, you would be very high on the list of peple i would wanna catch up with, and go riding, drinking, adventuring with....And as for Hoons...that's a given, Hoons attract hoons....aint no fun in being a "shrinking voilet"!!!! Now i just have to convince Mikey (Ozzieboy) to join me on this crazy quest....and i know he would love it...cause he is the biggest hoon of all....and the best bloke you will ever meet, a gentleman, and a nutbag all in one!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

He would ride rings around all of us....no doubt, and come out the other end as cool as a cucumber! He is a "freak"!!!

:rockon:

Yeah but he's our "Nutbag Freak!" :BLAA: You have to convince him to come!
Don't you Aussies have traps to catch Roos N Tasmanian Monsters??? :eek: :rof:

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is not Orange County California they are in NY just a little outside NYC off the 87 thruway in Newburgh I believe. (I used to live in upstate NY only reason I know this)

I actually knew that, but i thought i would throw them in, cause even though i hate choppers, i love the TV show, cause those guys are a big bunch of crazy ar$e tools, who have made a massive life for themselves, just by putting everything out there...and you gotta respect that....

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah but he's our "Nutbag Freak!" :BLAA: You have to convince him to come!
Don't you Aussie have traps to catch Roos N Tasmanian Monsters??? :eek: :rof:

You got Mikey in one! He is elusive though! He will NOT ride a straight road...period! Will ride 100's of kilometres out of his way to avoid a straight road...or put his bike on a plane, train, truck, whatever, to avoid the perils of squaring off his tyres....only thing that might tempt him to ride a straight road, is the promise of a "good woman"....

:D

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
coming3.jpg

:BLAA:

Seriously, here's your vacation:
http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/new...ign=Feed:+AsphaltandRubber+(Asphalt+&+Rubber)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
318 curves in 11 miles: dealsgap.com, Deals Gap, NC information. The Dragon, US129, Great Smoky Mountains. The Dragon at Deals Gap.
I've personally never ridden there, but know several people who have and they all say it's worth a trip.

If at any point you'll need a place to crash in NJ (1 hour from New York City), I've got a spare bedroom for you.

More great advice, and more great offers of hospitality, man i love this forum! Would take you up on your offer in a moment...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't I seen this thread before? Remember Jules?

You need to retitle it Coming to America II!

I'll keep it simple, the best roads for motorcycles will be found in California. It will provide you with the most amount of twisties and the drivers are very good to acknowledging the riders. They pull over. Well most of them do. Plus LAX or LA will be a great point to start and maybe end your trip.

If you are into the more touristy thing, then you might want to look into other areas besides California.

I suggest that since you and anyone else is making the effort to come all this way to ride, I suggest to all Forum Members, espeically along the west coast to join up.

Let's make this the largest gathering of Forum Members Ever!

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Nay, nay, nay, Vegas...I must politely disagree. :spank: :D

California??? Yeah, there are some fabulous roads there, but if you want an experience of a lifetime, Wolfman, you need to take Erci's advice and come to Deal's Gap on the Tennessee/North Carolina border. Here's the thing...everyone goes for The Dragon, but what people that have never been there before don't get until they visit is that there are literally TONS of great roads, all within a few miles of there.

I won't list them all here, but one comes to mind...The Cherohala Skyway. I had the privilege of riding this road for the first time last summer (on my 2nd trip the Deal's Gap) and MAN...it's everything is cracked up to be!

Cherohala Skyway, mile high legend from Robbinsville NC to Tellico Plains TN

Another that's located right at the resort at Deal's Gap and shoots right off US 129 is 28. That's a wonderful road too.

There are many, many others in the general area, and hey, you can't come all the way to the US without saying you've experienced the greatest motorcycling road on the continent!

BTW, I'll be there the first weekend in May, so watch for a thread shortly thereafter with lots of pics!

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Catch us in St Louis, Missouri. Krid80, Elizabeth, Stryken, and I. We are all within a 50 mile radius from one another. Good luck with everything!