Cracks on front tire

curtis0432

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys I recently bought a 2007 FZ6. Ive been having a blast so far, except for today after I went for a ride I noticed there were two cracks on the front tire.
Should I be worried about that. The tires have lots of tread on them should I still OK to ride or would it be unsafe until i get new tires?
Do you think these cracks happened when I was riding the bike Just curious because when I was looking over the bike for the second time after I brought it home I didn't see those obvious cracks.

IMG_0117.jpg

Last edited:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not one of those who categorically say, "Go buy new tire" but yours looks like, as mentioned already, something is separating with the rubber compound. What kind of tire is it? Is that Bridgestone? What model? Check manufacterer date yet? Does NOT look good to me. Looks dangerous (and I will ride with a inner belt showing on a very high mileage!)

Jacky

Reaction score
Visit site
They look more like cuts than cracks to me because they don't continue through the grooves. From the perish lines in the bottom of centre groove that tyre is either old or has been run near flat.

A rear blow out is scary but a front blow out at highway speed can easily be fatal as you are unlikely to stay on the bike.

As much as I hate waste, I would bin that tyre ASAP.

curtis0432

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow.. that's really not good news... I'm glad i checked with you nice people on the forum.
Tire code : 9APM5206 (that means the tires were made in 2006 correct?)

My tires are made by Dunlop and they have 3700km's on them now. The previous owner put about 3500km on them.
Since it could be dangerous running with these tires any longer what kind of tires should I look into getting. Also can I just swap out the front tire since the back tire looks fine?

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO the best cheap new tires are better than good/bad old, worn out tires. It's the only thing keeping you stuck to the road. Pop for a set of new tires and you'll be amazed at the difference it can make in the performance and confindence you'll have with your bike. :thumbup:

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
With that date code means those are the OEM tires and I would replace both ASAP. Lots of tires threads on the forum, just do a search, but looks like some of the Michelin offerings are getting good reviews. I ran Bridgestone BT023's on my FZ6 and liked them a-lot, not the best mileage out there but they stuck good.

Jerry

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With that date code means those are the OEM tires and I would replace both ASAP. Lots of tires threads on the forum, just do a search, but looks like some of the Michelin offerings are getting good reviews. I ran Bridgestone BT023's on my FZ6 and liked them a-lot, not the best mileage out there but they stuck good.

Jerry

How far did they go if you don't mind me asking. Rear mainly, but both!!!

Agreed, looks like a cut to me and I'd park it!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The separtion is NOT very straight and getting two "cuts" next to each other as such from road debris is highly un-likely.

IMHO, that tire is separting, just worn out...

In either case, I'd be replacing that tire ASAP, it's really NOT the consequences when it DOES LET LOOSE... (crash, damge, injuries, plus a new tire anyway!)

:Sport:

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow.. that's really not good news... I'm glad i checked with you nice people on the forum.
Tire code : 9APM5206 (that means the tires were made in 2006 correct?)

My tires are made by Dunlop and they have 3700km's on them now. The previous owner put about 3500km on them.
Since it could be dangerous running with these tires any longer what kind of tires should I look into getting. Also can I just swap out the front tire since the back tire looks fine?

Yep, 5206 = 52nd week of 2006. That is the original Dunlop D252.

If the rear is the same vintage as the front, it should be replaced, too.

Look for a quality brand Sport Touring tire for all purpose riding if you aren't sure what to look for. Browse the tire threads here and the reviews on online shops. What you get may come down to your budget and what's available to you. From memory (always a dangerous thing) these get mentioned most often in the forums, with positive comments.

Metzeler Z8/Z6
Michelin Pilot Road 3/2
Bridgestone BT-023
Shinko 009
Dunlop Roadsmart
Pirelli Angel GT/ST

You'll be grinning when you feel how much better this bike behaves with new tires. Not many riders liked those D252s, even when new.

I also went with the BT-023s which seem to be in the middle of the pack price-wise. No regrets, here. Only a couple thousand miles on mine, :spank: , so I can't really comment on their long term tread life.

Edit: Found this nice price/performance chart and review site. Don't know who is behind it, but it reflects what you'll read on this forum.

http://www.allmotorcycletirereviews.com/Sport_Touring_Motorcycle_Tire_Reviews.htm

Last edited:

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
How far did they go if you don't mind me asking. Rear mainly, but both!!!

Agreed, looks like a cut to me and I'd park it!

I managed 6K from the rear and I think it was around 9K on the front. Even now with the Tiger I only get 6-7K from the rear and not a lot more from the front so I must be hard on tires but I have fun.:D

Jerry

curtis0432

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about getting the Shinko 009, It looks like I get get them for 230 shipped to my door? is that an OK price? Ive done a bit of research online and Im wondering if replacing the tires yourself is something worth doing?
When getting work done at a shop is it best to buy tires online and have them install them for you or just buy them there?
Anyone have any recommendations for shops in the Calgary Alberta area?

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking about getting the Shinko 009, It looks like I get get them for 230 shipped to my door? is that an OK price? Ive done a bit of research online and Im wondering if replacing the tires yourself is something worth doing?
When getting work done at a shop is it best to buy tires online and have them install them for you or just buy them there?
Anyone have any recommendations for shops in the Calgary Alberta area?
I have just over 11k miles on a set of the 009's. The front still looks good, but the rear will need to be replaced soon. It's a great tire for commuting, I'm not a real aggressive rider tho. I would opt for a different tire for the track. That price seems about right, here in the states you can get them for around $180 shipped.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I managed 6K from the rear and I think it was around 9K on the front. Even now with the Tiger I only get 6-7K from the rear and not a lot more from the front so I must be hard on tires but I have fun.:D

Jerry

I can relate!!!
This past weekend has hammered the rear pretty good (running BattleAxe S20's), and the rear has about 2800 (2???) miles on it, center not likely to see 3500 at its current rate of decay. Think I might throw a BT023 on the back as the front S20 has about 700 miles on it. S20's sticks like stink to a Porcupine, just doesn't live long.

Thanks Jerry!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I downloaded this tire picture so that I could zoom in on it and it definitely has signed of dried out rubber if you look at the grooves. The tire probably impacted something on the roadway that didn't actually cut it but caused separation because of lack of elasticity.
Those tires are done!!!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I downloaded this tire picture so that I could zoom in on it and it definitely has signed of dried out rubber if you look at the grooves. The tire probably impacted something on the roadway that didn't actually cut it but caused separation because of lack of elasticity.
Those tires are done!!!

FUBAR the Tire; may it rest in peace before Curtis!

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Michelin Pilot Road 2 is what I'm running. I only have @ 2000 miles on them so they still look fairly new. But they have been a great tire so far. Rain and dry. They have been handling great and sticking like glue in the corners.

bundziur

Reaction score
Visit site
hey, rather than starting a new thread on the same subject, i thought i'd hijack this one! not a nice start i reckon, this being my first post and all.

this is my front tyre with the worst of the cracks visible - is this safe to ride on? The cracks do not reach the structural part of the tyre, they're only up to ca. 3mm deep.

Keep it or change it?

thanks!