Crap. My first drop.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:( I was heading to the gym on base after work today. Stopped at a stop sign, made a right-hand turn, and stalled the engine. There was a drainage gutter across the intersection, and the combination of my sharp turn, the gutter, stalling the engine, and riding on tires less than 24 hours old, she tipped to the right and I couldn't really catch her (it was a controlled fall...).
Damage: the frame slider took the majority of it (yay!), scratched the RH mirror very lightly, chipped the point of the front fairing, and a small scratch on that trim piece beneath the rear seat. Didn't touch my Throttlemeister bar end (yay!). I quickly lifted it back up (glad someone just recently resurrected the "lift your bike" thread, no problem), cursed, and headed to the gym.
Noticed my left leg was hurting, and looking down saw a few red spots on my white pants. Got to the gym, and saw that the top of my sock was soaked red; that little square thing linking the foot shifter to the shaft into the crankcase really dug a hole in my leg (oddly, that was the top leg of the tipover). I walked into the gym (Hill AFB's brand-new multi-million dollar project), asked for a first-aid kit, and all they had was ONE 1"-standard bandage, and TWO small square bandages about 3/8" square! This, one week after an LSET/UCI inspection that they'd been preparing for, for nine months?!?! Egad.
Anyway, rode home, cleaned up, and finally got the bleeding to stop after elevating my leg for a bit. It's hurting, and I'm sure it'll be pretty sore tomorrow.

Crap. This 48-yr klutz bought a new bike over a year ago, never been on so much as a dirt bike, and never scratched her. Guess it was my time... :(

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that... If it makes you feel any better, everyone eventually drops their bike at least once... Good that it was only minor damage.. Sounds like your pride suffered more than the bike did...;)

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped my first two bikes. Sometimes it just happens. The second one, my ZZR600 pinned my foot to the ground. Had to have someone help get it off of me! It was kind of funny in retrospect. I put framesliders on my FZ6 just in case. Glad to hear you had yours on, too! Hope you heal up quickly.:)

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was controlled so you kept damage to a minimum, more importantly you are not seriously hurt. YAY framesliders :)

Take care, get out and ride as soon as your leg feels better ;)

Deb

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thank goodness for frame sliders, that insured minimal damage otherwise your tank could have taken the hit, ouch.

W

wrightme43

Glad your ok man. Bummer on the leg, but it will heal, just keep it clean.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're ok. Could have been worse. We all do it (or WILL do it). I dropped my GSXR in the garage last year. Yeah. You heard me - in the garage. I managed to pin my hand underneath it trying to save it which was a bit funny in retrospect. Too proud to yell for help I just grit my teeth and pulled the hand out. Bled a little but pride was intact. Also strained a leg muscle trying to save it and was limping for about 6 weeks. Leg muscle is only now back to the point where I can ride my bicycle hard without pain. That was about a year ago, pre FZ6. So far so good on FZ...

Hotei

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't feel bad. At least your first drop was while you were MOVING. LOL. Mine, on the other hand, just occurred last week but resulted in no damage to the bike but rather a very sore leg for me!

I play in a golf league on Monday's after work and last Monday rode to the golf course (a friend brought my clubs). I parked the bike at the end of the parking lot, away from Country Club Moms that might knock it over with their SUVs. I go, play my 9 holes and then come back to get my gear and change when I find that the stupid grounds keeper had turned on the sprinklers and one of them was spraying directly on the bike!!! Damn! All my gear was dry as it was in the topcase, but my helmet was hanging on the helmet lock (luckily, it was only wet on the outside). Anyway, pissed off, I lean the bike up, roll it forward to get it out of the sprinkler, and put it back on the sidestand so I can dry it off. I start drying away (I'm standing on the kickstand side of the bike) when the next thing I know I've got a bike in my lap!!! Apparently, when I'd moved it, I hadn't got the kickstand completely extended and while I was drying it moving from back to front, it rolled off the stand and into my lap. LMAO...luckily, I caught it, although I had a nice bruise on my knee from the passenger footpeg. Sheesh...I could see the headline..."Man squashed by own bike". :eek:

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
sry to hear that my friend... i did the same thing, controlled fall on the right side and same damage, e.g. chipped fairing, mirror etc. again sry to hear about that

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
My first drop early was Sunday morning this weekend, trying to walk it up my angled driveway so as not to start the motor and awaken the family. Got unbalanced while pushing it uphill, and over it flopped. As many have said, the framesliders got ground a bit and the rear brake pedal got bent, but no big deal. Main bummer was I couldn't lift it myself (was sort of wedged up against my car so leg lift wouldn't have worked even had I known about it at the time), so my ride had to be aborted.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad You and the Bike did not take much damage. I too have brand new tires and they are slippery for the first 100 miles or so. Good job on the frame sliders install ;)

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
The first bike I ever dropped was a brand new Suzuki S50. I did it while trying out one of Claud's bikes. He wasn't very happy.

Actually, I dropped it the EXACT same way you did, only it was a left turn for a little circle I was making.

I thought he wouldn't notice anything if I took some black tape (same stuff I use on my shins) and fixed the left turn-signal with it.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
glad that you and your bike made it out with only minor bumps and scrapes. Heal up and thankfully you had your sliders on.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
You popped your cherry! Sorry to hear that but not too bad, be careful on those tires. How did it stall? The one time I dropped mine was on myself and it never hit the ground so it doesn't count, right? I had to pick it up with my entire left leg under it, foot wedged under the peg, alone (thank god there were no witnesses), in the dark. Never touched the ground :D

christod1

Just a member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you weren't hurt to bad. I hope you heal soon. Don't worry about it too much. Nearly all of us have been there. I nearly dropped mine a couple of weeks ago at 0 km/h. Nearly broke my leg trying to keep her up...