D3O Strain-Rate sensitive Armor

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd read about this stuff a year or so ago, its a high-tech "goo" that remains soft and pliable until it experiences a shock; then, the whole piece molecularly "locks up" and becomes a highly-protective hard plastic. FirstGear is making motorcycle jackets out of the stuff, so the armor is soft and comfortable until you need its protection. I was going to look into one of their jackets the next time I needed one.

Well, my new Motorcyclist reviewed the armor itself, which can be purchased for $108/set (back protector/shoulder pads/elbow pads). :thumbup:
I followed the link given in the mag but it took me to Touratech's Germany website, and they didn't have it.

A quick Googlez and found this:
D30 at Motorcycle Superstore, essentially the same price and I could just replace the pads in my current jacket.

Also found this demo video:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWdKlgrnLBw&feature=related]Hyod D3o, magic material - YouTube[/ame]

Just realized my current jacket is pretty worn anyway, will have to figure out which route to take, but I want to try this stuff!

Last edited:

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting stuff. I need a new back protector for my Joe Rocket jacket because when I'm on my bike leaning forward the back protector hits the back of my helmet. Can this material be trimmed for a custom fit?

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I have Sac Tec and I love it. Very easy to get in and out of my jackets. I will not ride without it.

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site
Non-Newtonian stuff, highly engineered for this purpose, has probably been in your hands before...Silly Putty has this same property (to a different degree, of course) if you want to play with the concept.

I used to create an arch from the stuff, mold it over my finger, and strike it with the handle-end of a butter knife to demonstrate the property.

Cool stuff, in my Icon vest, too, as I understand....