Damaged Seat lock - Screwup

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Went to do some work this morning and i could not turn the seat lock to get the seat off. if i compare the lock depth with the helmet lock it appears to not be going in far enough to turn.

I drowned it in WD40 and wiggled for all i was worth but still nothing. Then i thought of removing the lock (bad idea) seems the nuts for the retaining bolts are not fixed so they are now loose under the seat i cannot remove.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome (including...in future do not undo bolts you do not know where they are secured)

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
I don't have a helmet lock on my bike (it's an 04), but I did have the same problem with my seat lock about a week ago. I put the key in the lock and it wouldn't turn and the seat wouldn't budge. To get it loose I put the key in, started to turn it, and placed pressure on the portion of the seat where the lock engages under the seat. The lock finally turned and I was able to remove the seat. Maybe this will work for you.

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the problem i have seen with mine is that when putting the tank rearward, it rests on the area that the seat slides into. and if the tank is too full, or to much pressure is applied the little "pin" will bend down and will make the seat pretty much impossible to reattach. But if the seat is reattached it will make it near impossible to get it back off. What i had to do was push down really hard with one hand on the rear of the seat towards the tail light where the seat locks in, then turn the key with the other hand. When you get the seat off check to see if the pin is pushed in a little...

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried this for a while. Really seems like the key is not going in far enough, like something is in the lock stopping it going in. Guess what i'm now hoping for is a ay of getting the seat off without the lock being moved. I fear that will mean going in through the underside over the back wheel

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
oh, i know my key only goes in so far too.... you said you tried pushing down on the seat real hard right? like right where the seat actually clicks in? that always did it for me

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i managed to get the lock secured again but no luck pushing down on seat. i'll get my son to sit on it later and see if that helps. mny tks

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how is it that criminals can steal an entire bike in 30 seconds with no key, and us honest folks cant figure out how to just get the seat off with a key! hehe... let me know what you figure out.

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always have problems gettting my seat off, its due to my mods that I've done. Now I have to push really REALLY hard on the seat just above where the key goes in. I hope you get it all figured out soon.

Could it be frozen? You said you were leaving for work so I think morning time and cold.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
how is it that criminals can steal an entire bike in 30 seconds with no key, and us honest folks cant figure out how to just get the seat off with a key! hehe... let me know what you figure out.
LMAO at that one, Jordan I have no suggestions that have not been mentioned.

Nelly

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly, tks for the post and the smile. will be trying again on Sunday so will let you know how i get on.

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I've just done an examination on my bike, and to me the most likely is one of 2:

1. The cable pulling the pin out is jammed.
2. You got something under your seat that presses the seat lock against the pin.

The wire is connected directly to the lock, and directly to the pin in the other end, so if the cable is jammed, the only option I see is to remove the exhourst and drill your way into the "under-seat" compartment.

On the other hand, the most likely reason is that the pin is jammed by the seat, so to unjam it you would have to press the seat above the bracket where the pin goes through. The bracket is located 7cm rear of the "bump". the bracket is mounted in the centre (sideways direction) so if you can apply pressure (a lot) in this spot it should release.

I could post a picture of the bracket if it would be helpful?

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help. I finally had to accept defeat when i had the fuse blow that supports the horn and i still had not got the seat off so put it into the shop. Turns out when i took out the stock exhaust that used to provide some protection to the under seat, water and crap got in and rusted/seized the lock. The shop fabricated a plate to provide more protection to all sorted but any others (who ride through the winter) who have OEM cans might want to check to see how theirs is.