Delkevic Exhaust

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ozfazer6,
you stated you "might do is shorten the Y pipe about an inch or so and get them to sit back a bit more" did you ever shorten the pipe?

I'm also thinking about pulling the trigger on a set. however, I also would like to sit the back more.

does anyone else have any opinion?

havent yet mate, had no time lately.

siebsey

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm, well the rain has killed any hope of making a video. That'll have to wait.

Here's what I did to install the delks:

1. Remove the seat.
  2. Using an allen wrench, remove the two allen screws holding the rear fairings on.
  3. Using a phillips head screw driver, remove the two screws underneath the passenger area. Be careful, these strip out. I drilled mine and have to find new ones.
  4. Remove the rear fairings by pulling straight out from the bike. There are two rubber grommets that hold each piece on. Set these in a safe place far from the work area.
  5. Disconnect the tail light connector. It should come off fairly easily, but don't force it.
  6. Using a 12mm socket, remove the two bolts holding on the tail section of the bike
  7. Remove the tail section of the bike and sit it with the fairings.
  8. Unbolt the bracket with the rubber flap and sit it aside. I believe this is an 8mm bolt, but don't quote me.
  9. Using the same 12mm socket, loosen the license plate bracket.
  10. Using a 10mm socket (I think), remove the two bolts holding the license plate bracket.
  11. An important point--find some penetrating lubricant and spray the two allen bolts holding the exhaust on when you get to them. They can be a bugger to get out.
  12. Using a philips head screw driver, remove the screws holding on the cowling. These strip easily, too. You won't re-use the screws or the cowling.
  13. Using an allen socket, remove the two allen bolts holding the exhaust on. You don't have to remove the bracket from the bike. You will reuse the bracket, but not the allen bolts.
  14. Using a 12mm socket and an extension, loosen the exhaust clamp that sits just past the cat.
  15. Gingerly remove the exhaust from the bike by pulling straight back. Sit the exhaust aside.
  16. Unpack your delkevics and mock them up on the ground. Remove the white wrap from the steel clamps and wrap the silicone covers around them.
  17. Once you're satisfied, install the y-pipe but don't put any sealant around the existing exhaust pipes. It sets in 15 minutes and would be a pain to remove.
  18. Bolt the new bracket directly to the old bracket using the longer of the two bolts, but don't torque them down yet.
  19. Slip the clamps onto the cans and slip the cans on to the y-pipe.
  20. Once you're satisfied, use some solvent to clean the existing exhaust pipe, apply sealant, and slip the new y-pipe onto it. Don't tighten it just yet.
  21. Apply sealant to the y-pipe where the cans will slip on and slip the cans on.
  22. This is hard to explain, but you want the clamps to mock up like a d and a b. It will look like this d | b , where the line is the bracket. I bolted mine to the INSIDE of the right angle lobes sticking out from the bracket.
  23. Once you have everything fitting right, tighten the clamps, then adjust to make sure they're hanging right, tighten the bracket, and then the y-pipe clamp. Tighten the cans to the y-pipe.
  24. Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. I put the bracket with the rubber flap back on, but it does make the seat sit up a little higher, so if you're a stickler about the lines of the bike, you might not want to reinstall the bracket.
  25. You may want to invest in some aluminum tape because these are going to get hot. I bolstered the existing heat shielding because I didn't want to :eek: when I sit in traffic.

Questions? Holler at me and I'll try to help.

mountaincycle

Reaction score
Visit site
siebsey,
Looks nice? I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set of Delks. however, I'm concerned the may be too loud.
also, can the y-pipe be shorten to tuck the exhaust under the seat more?

Thx, M

siebsey

Reaction score
Visit site
siebsey,
Looks nice? I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set of Delks. however, I'm concerned the may be too loud.
also, can the y-pipe be shorten to tuck the exhaust under the seat more?

Thx, M

M--

I would imagine you could do it with a bandsaw, but the tube flares at a certain point which limits the amount of travel forward. I like the fact that they stick out a little because it keeps the noise out of my helmet (a little) and keeps my hind end somewhat cooler.

As far as noise goes, I don't have baffles. They're stunningly loud right now, but the cans do come with baffles, so I'll try to do a test with them in after this weekend. I get off work late tonight, but hopefully tomorrow it should be warmer and I'll bring the bike out for a little sound test.

BTW-- megs next generation tech wax works wonders on these things...

04FZSick

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I will do everyone a favor and take a vid when I get off work. I got about 6hrs left. This will be with the baffles in though. I honestly think they will be too loud with the baffles out lol.

As for shortening these things I think it may be more complicated than just cutting the y-pipe down. I believe doing that may alter the angle at which the cans sit. The way I have them sitting it really doesnt looke bad at all. Vid to come tonight :)

Last edited:

siebsey

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I will do everyone a favor and take a vid when I get off work. I got about 6hrs left. This will be with the baffles in though. I honestly think they will be too loud with the baffles out lol.

As for shortening these things I think it may be more complicated than just cutting the y-pipe down. I believe doing that may alter the angle as which the cans sit. The way I have them sitting it really doesnt looke bad at all. Vid to come tonight :)

If you could post how to get the baffles in, I'd appreciate it. I didn't look too hard and the directions are useless :banghead:.

I tend to agree with you, though. Without baffles, they're almost a race-only setup. I'll put it this way... this is the only time I've considered wearing earplugs on a motorcycle.

04FZSick

Reaction score
Visit site
If you could post how to get the baffles in, I'd appreciate it. I didn't look too hard and the directions are useless :banghead:.

I tend to agree with you, though. Without baffles, they're almost a race-only setup. I'll put it this way... this is the only time I've considered wearing earplugs on a motorcycle.

Yup I'll do a quick explanation on how I installed everything. Baffles required some slight motivation to get them in.

mountaincycle

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice gentlemen... :thumbup:

Yesterday, I ordered direct from Delkevic a set of stainless steel cans for $375.90 USD including shipping.

Tracking number states my cans will be delivered by Friday..:rockon:

I'll post some feedback next week...
M

siebsey

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice gentlemen... :thumbup:

Yesterday, I ordered direct from Delkevic a set of stainless steel cans for $375.90 USD including shipping.

Tracking number states my cans will be delivered by Friday..:rockon:

I'll post some feedback next week...
M

What's the word?!