Did you Mod Your FZ Forks, Why How did it ride b4 and Aft?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As the title says, how did the bike ride before and after the mod, what did you do exactly, what did it really fix for you?

Tell us your story about how the bike feels in the corners, braking, riding, etc . . .

Thanks! :thumbup:

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
As the title says, how did the bike ride before and after the mod, what did you do exactly, what did it really fix for you?

Tell us your story about how the bike feels in the corners, braking, riding, etc . . .

Thanks! :thumbup:

I've tried a variety of things on the cheap to improve the forks, since I'm saving up for a set of R6 forks.

Went to 10W fork oil, that helped a bit, switched to 15W and replaced my original springs with a much fresher set from an '09, took about 1" off the spacers to give me a little more bite at the front.

B4 - Way soft, floppy forks, lots of dive, very imprecise in corners

After - Actually has something resembling dampening, much firmer, much more stable in the corners and down fast choppy roads, just sticks better and feels more settled. I'd like to drop in some .95 RaceTech springs, that should help even more.

Now, if I could just do something with that useless rear shock.....

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!
I can't say I'm green to suspension setup so I will say this; while cornering through bumpy turns it seems the bike does some kind of for/aft rocking motion upsetting the trajectory established. Like the line I had changed from the slightest dip in the road as the bike straightened up due to an upset.

Is this what you people feel too?
Example is I hit i minor depression at the apex of the corner and the bike tends to almost straighten up as the rear kicks after the tire comes free of the sunken area.

This almost makes sense if the springs rates are not properly matched for and aft. But what I find odd is that I can't define if the "buck from the rear" is the due to the lack of rebound dampening???
Because of the amount of brake dive, it seems obvious the front dampening is to week. I need to check the sag and gain what I can from that I guess.

FYI I'm right at 205lbs with gear.

So as best I can tell Suspension oil 01 which is what our bikes have in them is 0Wt oil. And folks are going up from there between 5 and 15wt.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks!
I can't say I'm green to suspension setup so I will say this; while cornering through bumpy turns it seems the bike does some kind of for/aft rocking motion upsetting the trajectory established. Like the line I had changed from the slightest dip in the road as the bike straightened up due to an upset.

Is this what you people feel too?
Example is I hit i minor depression at the apex of the corner and the bike tends to almost straighten up as the rear kicks after the tire comes free of the sunken area.

This almost makes sense if the springs rates are not properly matched for and aft. But what I find odd is that I can't define if the "buck from the rear" is the due to the lack of rebound dampening???
Because of the amount of brake dive, it seems obvious the front dampening is to week. I need to check the sag and gain what I can from that I guess.

FYI I'm right at 205lbs with gear.

So as best I can tell Suspension oil 01 which is what our bikes have in them is 0Wt oil. And folks are going up from there between 5 and 15wt.

I took my '05 to GP Suspension in Oregon City and fixed the setup in one shot. I'm almost exactly the same weight in my gear as you are. (within 10 lbs)

Single rate fork springs, .9 Kg, and an Ohlins shock on the rear. The guys there are knowlegeable in setting up the damper rod forks we have. They changed the valving, and the oil, and the springs. The Ohlins on the back was the model that has remote adjustment for rebound and compression, as well as ride height.

No more fork dive. No more weaving in turns. No more topping or bottoming out on rough surfaces. :thumbup:

I would recommend getting the suspension work done, before you spend any money on any other mod on this bike.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Installed R6 forks/brakes with heavier fork oil. No looking back and probably the best mod that I did to the FZ6. :)

Still have my FZ6 forks sitting in the garage if anyone wants to buy them.