Different noises for me

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
So, a few days ago, I finally got my fz home. I notice that when I turn the key on, I get a a somewhat high pitched whirr for a couple seconds and I assume this is the fuel pump.
The bike is so quiet that when riding, unless there is a lot of wind, I hear a high pitched noise then too. Would I be correct in assuming this is also the fuel pump?

Coming from air cooled engines, this sounds weird to me! I am sure nothing is wrong, bike starts well though my 78 starts faster, I assume this is the nature of a fuel injected bike. It is not like it cranks and cranks for 10 seconds though. I would say about 2-3 seconds and then it fires. My 78 fires in about half that time.

Again, totally different bikes and just new things to get used to.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes the noise your hearing when you first turn the key is the pump, completely normal, I'm not sure what other noise your hearing could be, perhaps the po did the air box mod but that is more of a growl not a whistle

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the modern fuel injected motorcycle... your bike is completely normal and fine.... and to boot, it is superior in every way to that 30+ year old Honda...:thumbup:

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if it is superior! The cb has a character the fz will never have. It is also MUCH easier to work on!:D
Performance-wise, then yes except for the comfort of 2up riding.The cb wins hands down there.
Glad to know the noises are probably normal. I have not looked under the tank yet though. Maybe this weekend.