Do You Own the Right Motorcycle?

See post below. Then answer. Question is in red halfway down the post.

• Total voters

markersniffen

Reaction score
www.marksniffen.com
Bought my '04 FZ6 in June--it was the first bike I owned, first time I rode was a month before in May when I took the MSF course. Did a lot of research, and couldn't be happier with my choice. The lack of low end might get me someday, but not now. I am just starting to explore the 10,000rpm range so I've got some time. :rockon:

I was struggling with the thought of converting an older bike like the Yamaha xs650 to a scrambler-esque bike (Yamaha XS650 scrambler - ADVrider) I love the idea getting hands on with upgrading/converting a bike...and at the same time have never ridden a dirt bike. Figured I could learn a lot about how they work and get a chance to get off the pavement and enjoy that world a bit. It also seems it might be a cheaper route than getting a Beamer, Triumph, KTM or the like. Which I like. :rolleyes:

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
To me my FZ6 is like that perfect girlfriend who is cute and does everything right and you dont really have any complaints but you still lust after the hot stripper :).. One day the FZ will be replaced by this hot stripper :)
2010_Kawasaki_Z1000_DSC_4126-2.jpg

LOL well said! I got myself a hot stripper this summer:

DSCF3138-2.png

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
There is no motorcyclist in the world that is 100% happy with any one bike at any given time and is always looking and Jones-ing for another/additional bike just because. for me i have two at my disposal my dads BMW R1150r and my FZ and both of us are always looking for/at something from FZ1s:Flash: to Guzzis:eek: and even though I'm ashamed to say it even a couple of Harleys:spank: caught our eyes. But that said I'm super impressed with my bike and its is the best bike i could have bought for what i do with it.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
(yes i know, but im going back to the VERY beginning)
i disagree with the ktm, I have taken the fz down a few logging roads (stupid idea) she handled it fairly well, lacked some ground clearance but i kept with the dirtbikes until we got to the campsite, and the street tires didnt do too bad on the packed dirt and sticks.
I think the only thing about the fz that i would change is to give it clip-ons....
and yes we all need an r1

D

Dave.TX

I like the FZ6, did my research before buying it as my first motorcycle. I want an adventure/touring bike now. Looking mostly at the Triumph Tiger XC. The FZ6 is great for what it is but I'd like the option of going off road. Also, with the FZ6, on long days my lower back is killing me. It has to do with 2 herniated discs. I would like the more upright position of the Triumph and it also has more leg room (I'm 6'4") as I feel cramped on the FZ6 after a half day of riding. It's been modified for touring, somewhat, and I like how it's set up now. Since I purchased it a few months ago and making payments I won't be getting another bike anytime soon. I may keep it though for the fun it provides in the twisites...

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
For now the FZ6 is the perfect motorcycle but I can see myself upgrading in a few years to either an FZ8, Triumph Street Triple or a BMW F700GS.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
While I am currently very happy with my bikes, I found that I am not very picky when it comes to motorcycles... you could swap both my bikes with 2 other bikes and I'd probably be just as happy (as long as one is a street bike and the other a track bike ) :)

I guess what you really love is riding. Anyway what you said is how I feel. I love my bike, but I don't have to have an fz6.

On the other hand, I would have a hard time explaining to myself why I should get rid of a bike that does everything I need it to. The longer I live the more I admire people that wear socks with sandals.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have my FZ anymore, sold it this year, but like you said, it was a great jack of all trades kind of bike. I bought an '09 speed triple and love it even more. It certainly isn't something I'd want to take on a 5+ hour trip (did 7 straight on my FZ), as it doesn't have a windscreen, but for that I'd like to get some sort of crossover bike, like a Tiger 1200XC.

On a sidenote, my roommate (who I sold my FZ to), wrecked it after a month or so of owning it. Went into a ditch at about 15 mph, because he is an idiot. He didn't get hurt, but he broke some farings. :( My poor pretty blue bike

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have some buyers remorse for not getting a Ninja 300 coming from my Ninja 250 as the main reason I was changing was because carburetors are stupid...but I do really like my FZ6 but since it's primarily a commuter, I'm sad that I didn't up performance AND fuel economy like I would with the 300.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
the only thing I can even barely quarrel about is the power, and it wasnt even a problem until I bought a R1, until I bought the R1 the FZ was the second fastest thing I had ever driven, then the R1 showed me how I could scare the living sh!t out of myself with the biggest grin on my face ever.
If I could somehow combine the reliability, docileness and ergonomics of the fz with the raw and unleashed power and torque of the R1 on the mid/top end, I would never foreseeability buy another bike again.
I feel like my fz handles about the same as my R1....I can contribute the R6 forks to a portion of that but I still feel as comfortable on the FZ in the corners as the R1.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the only thing I can even barely quarrel about is the power, and it wasnt even a problem until I bought a R1, until I bought the R1 the FZ was the second fastest thing I had ever driven, then the R1 showed me how I could scare the living sh!t out of myself with the biggest grin on my face ever.
If I could somehow combine the reliability, docileness and ergonomics of the fz with the raw and unleashed power and torque of the R1 on the mid/top end, I would never foreseeability buy another bike again.
I feel like my fz handles about the same as my R1....I can contribute the R6 forks to a portion of that but I still feel as comfortable on the FZ in the corners as the R1.
Wouldn't it feel similar due to the 600 *potentially* weighing less?

Sounds like you'd like an FZ1
+1, beat me to it. Though question, do the FZ1 and the R1 share the same motor and if so, is the FZ1 gimped like the FZ6 is of its pure sport counterpart?

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
The fz6 is good for my current needs and budget(insurance lol). But I would really love to get a ss. Sticking with under tail exhaust so cbr600rr, certain years zx6r, Daytona 975r, r1. Etc.

Panther1911

Reaction score
Visit site
I really wanted a Harley. I started leaning towards wanting a sport bike and then was talked into looking into the FZ6.

Started shopping for FZ6's and R6's/CBR600RR's.

Ended up finding a a really clean FZ6, I ended up buying.

I don't regret the FZ6 at all, i really like it, but i know that I want to get a new bike in the next year or two.

Unsure if I want a 1000cc sport touring bike, a 1000cc sport bike, or a Harley.

ETA: mostly happy with the performance and handling of the FZ6, love the fuel mileage on it. But for the riding I do, I think a Harley would be cool, plus look and sound better.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I really wanted a Harley. I started leaning towards wanting a sport bike and then was talked into looking into the FZ6.

Started shopping for FZ6's and R6's/CBR600RR's.

Ended up finding a a really clean FZ6, I ended up buying.

I don't regret the FZ6 at all, i really like it, but i know that I want to get a new bike in the next year or two.

Unsure if I want a 1000cc sport touring bike, a 1000cc sport bike, or a Harley.

ETA: mostly happy with the performance and handling of the FZ6, love the fuel mileage on it. But for the riding I do, I think a Harley would be cool, plus look and sound better.

You just typed my my thought word to word.
But i'm sure i would go for HD v-rod as my next bike.
I'm happy with my 08FZ6 only 1 trip to gas station since purchase, so don't know the mpg yet. Hopefully, with no rain this weekend, i might complete a tank full of fuel on a loooooong drive. I know i won't cross 40mpg :D with my 0-40 under 3 seconds at intersections and 7-9k rpm whenever possible.:eek:

Panther1911

Reaction score
Visit site
You just typed my my thought word to word.
But i'm sure i would go for HD v-rod as my next bike.
I'm happy with my 08FZ6 only 1 trip to gas station since purchase, so don't know the mpg yet. Hopefully, with no rain this weekend, i might complete a tank full of fuel on a loooooong drive. I know i won't cross 40mpg :D with my 0-40 under 3 seconds at intersections and 7-9k rpm whenever possible.:eek:

i dont necessarily baby mine, but i dont get on it too hard either....i get 48mpg