Dodged a bullet tonight

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorta OT, as I was in my Saab, not on my bike.
Driving to Tooele UT for Reserves tonight, and the loop interstate merged into the main interstate, but it was under construction and the two left lanes were closed off. Both streams of traffic were going full speed and then suddenly came to a full stop. I just stopped before hitting the car in front of me, with about 10' to spare, and immediately checked my rear-view mirror...
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
There wasn't any way that humongous pickup was going to stop in time, I checked my passenger-side mirror, and immediately changed lanes to the right. So glad it was clear.
The large truck hit the car I had stopped behind, although he had most of his speed bled off by then.
Holy crap, I still can't calm down... :(

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, nice reaction! It's all that time on the bike :D
I've had similar experiences where i've looked up, slammed the brakes, ABS fully kicked on and tires screeching, and stop about 3' away from the car in front...happily it was my friend but anyways... always looked right up at the mirror to make sure i'm not going to get slammed, but never have anyone behind me for whatever reason. Glad to see there are some decent, AWARE drivers out there (yes that was aimed towards you middle aged woman in a SUV on your cell phone!)

Glad you made it out, scary stuff :eek:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm.. yeah the pickup truck is the arch enemy of the motorcyclist. All the stupidity of the SUV driver with the added bloated EGO. Sorry to offend any of you who may drive one, but I am just saying... see a pickup truck be very careful. you have been warned

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The question is though.....were you in ATGATT??

And don't give me that "oh it was in my car" excuse. That's poppyc0ck!

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm.. yeah the pickup truck is the arch enemy of the motorcyclist. All the stupidity of the SUV driver with the added bloated EGO. Sorry to offend any of you who may drive one, but I am just saying... see a pickup truck be very careful. you have been warned

The problem with pickup trucks isn't just the drivers, but with the poor weight distribution, the rear tires tend to lock up under heavy braking even with proper ABS. This gives pickups really horrible braking distances.

Always check your rear view after sudden stops guys, especially while on your bikes.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure where your hazard light switch is, but in my 08 xb it is right next to the shifter, the second I see traffic coming to a quick stop or slow down. i hit that the same time I hit my brakes, knock on wood has saved me more than once....

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The problem with pickup trucks isn't just the drivers, but with the poor weight distribution, the rear tires tend to lock up under heavy braking even with proper ABS. This gives pickups really horrible braking distances.

Always check your rear view after sudden stops guys, especially while on your bikes.

I agree... most of my life I have owned various pickups (for business)... I had Fords and a couple GMs.... all were notorious for long stopping distances... And when carrying a load, you really need to keep a serious distance from the vehicle in front...

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Sorta OT, as I was in my Saab, not on my bike.
Driving to Tooele UT for Reserves tonight, and the loop interstate merged into the main interstate, but it was under construction and the two left lanes were closed off. Both streams of traffic were going full speed and then suddenly came to a full stop. I just stopped before hitting the car in front of me, with about 10' to spare, and immediately checked my rear-view mirror...
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
There wasn't any way that humongous pickup was going to stop in time, I checked my passenger-side mirror, and immediately changed lanes to the right. So glad it was clear.
The large truck hit the car I had stopped behind, although he had most of his speed bled off by then.
Holy crap, I still can't calm down... :(

Riding improves your driving... a prime example. :) Glad you came out okay.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Good job avoiding a possible broken neck but I have a truck and have noticed that the main problem is people who get one and think they can drive it like a car....big problems arise from that

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Dave in Houston

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice driving!

I drive a Saab, too, by the way. Mine is a Viggen modified by Nick Taliaferro to make about 400 horsepower at the wheels.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good work dude! I always look behind me now when I have to slam on the brakes, due to my moto-tendencies.

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Hmmm... I have THREE pickups. I have a arch enemy? :sinister::sinister::sinister: (Insert evil laugh here)

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm... I have THREE pickups. I have a arch enemy? :sinister::sinister::sinister: (Insert evil laugh here)

I regret saying that. so for the record, not all people in pickups are as was stated. no offense intended. I hope none was taken

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure where your hazard light switch is, but in my 08 xb it is right next to the shifter, the second I see traffic coming to a quick stop or slow down. i hit that the same time I hit my brakes, knock on wood has saved me more than once....

I hit my hazard lights as well every time I have to stop quick no matter what vehicle I happen to be driving...has definitely saved me more than once. Drivers are paying less and less attention to the roads...you cannot be too cautious...especially on 2 wheels.

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I regret saying that. so for the record, not all people in pickups are as was stated. no offense intended. I hope none was taken

None taken! I was just having some fun, I watch out for those jacked up lifted big tires testicles hanging from the hitch beer cans in the back mullet wearing rebel flag in the back window dead animal hanging out the tailgate super hygenic rifle in the gunrack country blaring from the cracked speakers huge home made bumper (deer catcher) dual whips for the CB with Coors hats on mirror shade aviator glasses plaid button up no sleeves massive belt buckle cowboy boot wearing fellas too!

Dont tell anyone, but I actually saw that truck two days ago here in Mt.:rof: