Does anyone know if this is legal in CA?

polydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a rubber "mohawk" glued to my helmet as pictured below. I was told by a cop that its illegal because its not "dot" approved. Now I don't see how this could possibly pose a problem its not rigid its flexible rubber mounted with 3m adhesive. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if it is illegal because it is not DOT approved. It might be illegal if you or the officer are being asshats. Asshats are definitely not DOT approved in California but an asshat lawyer could always argue that point even if it's a flexible rubbery soft point. Lol! :BLAA:

That's really funny. I can't imagine a LEO bothering you for that....:spank:

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Only thing I could think of is that it could come off your helmet and become debris. That's a pretty big stretch. If the cop isn't trying to write you up for it, I'd just nod my head and say "okay, I'll take it off" and then ride away (and not remove it). Otherwise I'd ask him to explain why it invalidates your otherwise DOT approved helmet.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
arai allow stickers and painting of their helmets. I have a gopro stuck to the stop of mine. No idea about CA law though :/

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
images
images

Katie and I have our hats:thumbup:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I'd like to know what exact vehicle code violation it is.

This a cop making up laws (or, as MG says, you or he being an AH). I suggest calling the dep't and ask for what vehicle code violation that constitututes. Did you get name or badge of officer?

Last edited:

polydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I was being an asshat in the sense that I got pulled over for speeding you are correct there, but was in no way being disrespectful to them. So yeah i have the officer's name and info. He was very cool, considering he could've taken my bike and license, but wrote me up for only going 90. when i apparently passed their gun at 105. (Wearing earplugs seems to add 50hp on the butt dyno) I know stupid riding, my fault. So he wasn't being an "asshat" per se except when he tried to tell me the rubber 'hawk wasn't DOT approved and affected the structure of the helmet. I'm gonna go to the police station and ask to personally see the law regarding this, as I do not believe there is any way a rubber strip down the midldle of my helmet could be illegal...

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't get pulled for speeding again and my guess is they won't bother you about the helmet. Then again, it is West Coast and they pretty much do things their own way on your side of the continent.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ point up there - if that is in some way a violation (Mohawk) how about the video camera & mount?

I mean, common sense says if you tumble, that added hardware may/may not cause your neck some grief. All depends how you hit. That being said, your friendly officer who cut you some slack should be all over helmet cam riders! Granted that hardware will go flying but could it cause some issues for some? I'll wait for the government study! :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Part of attaching a Mohawk or Micky Mouse Ears or whatever else onto your helmet is to attract attention, making yourself more visible is always the way I viewed for having these accessories. Like others have mentioned, I don't know how this would be any different than attaching a camera.

polydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Part of attaching a Mohawk or Micky Mouse Ears or whatever else onto your helmet is to attract attention, making yourself more visible is always the way I viewed for having these accessories. Like others have mentioned, I don't know how this would be any different than attaching a camera.

Exactly, many more cagers notice me with the mohawk on the helmet and therefore being more visible.

D

Dave.TX

Exactly, many more cagers notice me with the mohawk on the helmet and therefore being more visible.

You haven't had the cager who looks at you while they change lanes into the one you are currently occupying, have you? It happens to everyone.

MG was hilarious with his comments! I think mohawks on helmets ARE for asshats, but that's just me. It screams squid, juvenile, etc. But then I'm old.

Nothing I see here prohibits attachments to your helmet: CA Codes (veh:27800-27803)

Wasn't that easier than going down to your local police station and trying to prove the asshat cop who let you off with a reduced fine said something about your precious mohawk that you didn't like and was untrue?

Hey, you were probably going 90mph. Japanese bikes are pretty optimistic especially if you go down a tooth up front. My FZ6 speedo was spot on as soon as I went up a tooth to 17, stock rear sprocket.

If I remember correctly OSHA standards prohibit any stickers on safety helmets as the glue used can affect the plastic, making it soft or crack. Wonder if the US DOT has any regulations against applying anything with glue or decals to motorcycle helmets... Who cares! Don't be going triple digits and you prolly won't get pulled over.

polydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
i've had just about every situation imaginable happen with cagers actually. Yes i agree mohawks are for "asshats" but i've never seen anyone with the same one and i've actually got a ton of compliments and inquiries from motorcyclists everywhere. And i'm aware going triple digits will get you pulled over but i bet the majority of people on here have pushed triple digits on a wide open freeway at least once. Thank you for the california law link, yes that was easier than going to the police station.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
You haven't had the cager who looks at you while they change lanes into the one you are currently occupying, have you? It happens to everyone.

MG was hilarious with his comments! I think mohawks on helmets ARE for asshats, but that's just me. It screams squid, juvenile, etc. But then I'm old.

Nothing I see here prohibits attachments to your helmet: CA Codes (veh:27800-27803)

Wasn't that easier than going down to your local police station and trying to prove the asshat cop who let you off with a reduced fine said something about your precious mohawk that you didn't like and was untrue?

Hey, you were probably going 90mph. Japanese bikes are pretty optimistic especially if you go down a tooth up front. My FZ6 speedo was spot on as soon as I went up a tooth to 17, stock rear sprocket.

If I remember correctly OSHA standards prohibit any stickers on safety helmets as the glue used can affect the plastic, making it soft or crack. Wonder if the US DOT has any regulations against applying anything with glue or decals to motorcycle helmets... Who cares! Don't be going triple digits and you prolly won't get pulled over.

:Im With Stupid:

D

Dave.TX

What? I have NEVER gone over any posted speed limit ever. Just because I heard my bikes' top speed is 165mph doesn't mean I've tried it. I let off once it hit 155mph. That was at Bonneville Salt Flats, if I remember correctly. It got very windy at that speed. Since my speedo is only 2mph off I was actually only going 153mph. No land speed record there.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"Cager"??? What is this, a Harley forum?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This may be a stretch, but I remember back in the 70s and 80s when most helmets were made of some form of plastic, painting them weakened the material. Maybe the LEO was referring to the glue holding your Mohawk. Just my 2c worth.

polydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
What? I have NEVER gone over any posted speed limit ever. Just because I heard my bikes' top speed is 165mph doesn't mean I've tried it. I let off once it hit 155mph. That was at Bonneville Salt Flats, if I remember correctly. It got very windy at that speed. Since my speedo is only 2mph off I was actually only going 153mph. No land speed record there.

Well I guess let each man live his life as he pleases.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a rubber "mohawk" glued to my helmet as pictured below. I was told by a cop that its illegal because its not "dot" approved. Now I don't see how this could possibly pose a problem its not rigid its flexible rubber mounted with 3m adhesive. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Nothing wrong with having a bit of harmless fun and vanity with that bit of decoration on your helmet. I understand a lot of people spend hundreds of dollars on new exhausts just to make their bike sound better and don't get labeled a squid. :BLAA:

Searching about, it seems getting pulled over for helmet "protrusions" or "projections," such as cameras or communication devices, that violate the DOT standard, isn't a rare thing. Quoting the DOT:

"S5.5 Projections: A helmet shall not have any rigid projections inside its shell. Rigid projections outside any helmet's shell shall be limited to those required for operation of essential accessories, and shall not protrude more than 0.20 inch (5 mm)."

That rubber mohawk isn't rigid so I don't see the justification for that cop's warning. Cameras and comms devices would be a different matter.

Some good links, that contain more good links, on the subject:

Fighting Traffic Tickets

Attention South Carolina Motorcyclists: Know the DOT Helmet Rules | Law Office of Kenneth E. Berger

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 218, FMVSS 218, NHTSA, Bikers Rights