Does this sound like a decent deal?

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm here looking for a little advice. I'm fresh off of a totaled out yzf600r and looking for my next bike. Think I've pretty much narrowed it down to a FZ6 or FZ1. One of the ones I'm looking at is an 08 FZ6 with 31k miles for $2500. Owner says its been dropped at a stop and fairing is scratched but not bad. I'm looking at setting it up as a street fighter anyway so that doesn't concern me.

Looks to be pretty much stock from the pictures. I would doubt that the valves have been checked, but I can do that myself. What do you guys think about that price? It's below the KBB and NADA minimums but I would guess it needs a few things to freshen it up. Brake pads and fluid flush, would probably install ss lines also. Respring and change oil in front forks, probably seals and such also. New clutch and throttle cables. Rear brake pads and fluid flush, oil change, coolant flush, spark plugs. That's the minimum I would do on a used bike regardless of what the previous owner said about maintenance. Extras I would do, I already mentioned fightering it, FZ1 bars, new rear shock, corbin seat, full exhaust and fuel map. That's all as I get the money though. Are there any other issues or things to look for? Should I plan to change/regrease the steering head bearings also? I haven't seen it in person yet, but I will bring a multimeter to check the system voltage, a laser thermometer and check the header temps and some tools and compression guage to check that (if owner permits, that's somewhat invasive).

Theres also an 09 FZ6 with 7.5k miles with some tasteful mods for $4k. That's my upper limit and after title/registration/taxes wouldn't leave me with much left to do things I wanted to. or should I go with the 06 FZ1 with 18k for $4k?!?!?!?

Another weird thing, I called my insurance company to get some quotes, they quoted me $307/yr on the FZ6, and $275/yr on the FZ1. Does that make sense to anybody? I even had her check it twice.

Thanks for any advice/replies.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm here looking for a little advice. I'm fresh off of a totaled out yzf600r and looking for my next bike. Think I've pretty much narrowed it down to a FZ6 or FZ1. One of the ones I'm looking at is an 08 FZ6 with 31k miles for $2500. Owner says its been dropped at a stop and fairing is scratched but not bad. I'm looking at setting it up as a street fighter anyway so that doesn't concern me.

Looks to be pretty much stock from the pictures. I would doubt that the valves have been checked, but I can do that myself. What do you guys think about that price? It's below the KBB and NADA minimums but I would guess it needs a few things to freshen it up. Brake pads and fluid flush, would probably install ss lines also. Respring and change oil in front forks, probably seals and such also. New clutch and throttle cables. Rear brake pads and fluid flush, oil change, coolant flush, spark plugs. That's the minimum I would do on a used bike regardless of what the previous owner said about maintenance. Extras I would do, I already mentioned fightering it, FZ1 bars, new rear shock, corbin seat, full exhaust and fuel map. That's all as I get the money though. Are there any other issues or things to look for? Should I plan to change/regrease the steering head bearings also? I haven't seen it in person yet, but I will bring a multimeter to check the system voltage, a laser thermometer and check the header temps and some tools and compression guage to check that (if owner permits, that's somewhat invasive).

Theres also an 09 FZ6 with 7.5k miles with some tasteful mods for $4k. That's my upper limit and after title/registration/taxes wouldn't leave me with much left to do things I wanted to. or should I go with the 06 FZ1 with 18k for $4k?!?!?!?

Another weird thing, I called my insurance company to get some quotes, they quoted me $307/yr on the FZ6, and $275/yr on the FZ1. Does that make sense to anybody? I even had her check it twice.

Thanks for any advice/replies.

I'm not sure about FZ1, as they have stages 1-4 depending on the year it was manufactured/released.
On the other hand, for the other FZ6, I'm more towards 09 and 08. 09 sounds much better because of less miles on it. Lately I've learned modded bike doesn't mean the previous owner may have abused it a lot.

Soupnutz

Reaction score
Visit site
So I decided on the 08 fz6. Seems like a good bike so far, just needs a good deep cleaning. The clutch was ridiculously tight at first so I lubed the cable and spring mechanism. I can't take the stock exhaust though, sounds like a scooter, so I have a delkevic cf on order as well as a cat delete pipe and ais blockoff plate.

It is a comfortable motorcycle. Seems a little faster than the yzf. Next order of business will be to change the spark plugs, adjust the tps, and sync the throttle bodies.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
So I decided on the 08 fz6. Seems like a good bike so far, just needs a good deep cleaning. The clutch was ridiculously tight at first so I lubed the cable and spring mechanism. I can't take the stock exhaust though, sounds like a scooter, so I have a delkevic cf on order as well as a cat delete pipe and ais blockoff plate.

It is a comfortable motorcycle. Seems a little faster than the yzf. Next order of business will be to change the spark plugs, adjust the tps, and sync the throttle bodies.

Congratulations on your new buy.
:cheers:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrads!
Get all the fluids in check and if the cables are free once lubed and ridden, I'd leave them and go for the shakedown and see if anything odd comes up that takes $$$.
FZ1 bars are a nice quick swap, there is a nub to grind off and a hole to drill. Order from Ronayers or Boats.net etc - riderdiscount can save some money too.

There is a how to on the valve adjustment, its not that hard just time consuming. Also, when the plugs are out, verify the plug cap to wire is snug and doesn't spin freely. Some come loose.

Honestly bikes that have been sitting can have more issue than those which have miles. At your next fill up, bring a flashlight and look in the tank for rust. As for the head bearings, if snug, smooth, and feel OK I'd leave them for a later day. We have winters here so I'd do it then. Not sure that applies tho!