EFI intake speed chip module on ebay.. is it garbage?

mr.nick705

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey!
I was browsing ebay for little upgrades for my FZ6 and I came across these two chips for the bike that are $20, and they claim that it will give you a gain of around 13hp. That seems a little outrageous to me, especially for that price. What do you guys think?
Here are the links:
-http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZ6-07-08-09-10-11-Performance-EFI-Intake-Speed-Chip-Module-Plug-N-Play-/400272471017?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d321933e9
-http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZ6-07-08-09-10-11-Performance-EFI-Intake-Speed-Chip-Module-Plug-N-Play-/300658375075?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4600a2b9a3#ht_1394wt_996

Thanks!

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
"The product seems generic and dosen't even change the performance. Buyer:
Member id jlapointe87 ( Feedback Score Of 18Yellow star icon for feedback score in between 10 to 49)
Feb-21-12 14:38 Feedback conversation
Honda RANCHER 420 ES Performance EFI Intake Speed Chip Module Plug N Play Kit (#400272471997)"

That was the only negative feedback he's gotten in the past year, out of 238 transactions. Looks kind of sketchy to me, but he's got 99.5% feedback which means it's almost guaranteed he will refund you your money if you aren't pleased.

The seller appears to be a trustworthy reputable seller, the product -- I'm not so sure of. With eBay buyer protection you can just return it so I'd say if you want to, screw it - just do it.

Worst case scenario it makes your bike run like garbage, you uninstall it, and return it.

Worth a shot? That's your call. Seller looks solid to me though.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
It makes you wonder why yamaha wouldn't use these if it was such a cost effective way to gain power.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
All those chips are the same they trick the ecu into think there is colder intake temps therefore adding more fuel...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hell it's only $20 bucks. It one and let us know.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The logistics of telling the ECU the engines Intake Air Temp is something different than it is isn't going to net you 7hp on a good day let alone 13+.

The ECM/ECU is still going to inject fuel within the design limits. Likely outcome - poor MPG, plugged CAT, dirty oil sooner, or on the lean side is an engine that detonates and wants higher octane fuel.

There's more to it than that and most of the folks who bought likely know little of what they've done otherwise every shop in the nation would ne selling them.

I say nadda - save your $$$$

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
It makes you wonder why yamaha wouldn't use these if it was such a cost effective way to gain power.

my car will gain 92 crank TQ with just a re-flash, and that's a two liter starting with 200hp and yes people have dyno'd and done the math for driveline loss and its pretty much always around a 90 hp gain. yes its a turbo, but a lot of N/A cars can be chipped and have all kinds of benefits including better mileage, more HP, and more TQ. that being said everything i have had chipped , it usually costs around $500, i doubt someone is selling the same thing for $20, im going with chevyfazer on this one and saying it is just feeding the ECU false data to change something which could potentially harm your bike in the long run, not changing fuel maps and spark maps based on the data input from all the sensors actual readings

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to say basically what the other members have said. I don't see where those numbers come from and I would imagine you'd see it on a dyno on Youtube if it were legit.

If I marketed something that cheap that made those numbers I'd show it on a dyno right away...:rolleyes:

Qwibby

Scarlet
Reaction score
Visit site
All those chips are the same they trick the ecu into think there is colder intake temps therefore adding more fuel...

Amen! Waste of money!

Coming from a huge background in modifying cars and driving/building a 400 hp turbo cavalier I know my ****, this thing is just going to trick your ecu and MAY gain you 1-2 hp. On hot days all its going to do is run super rich and clog your cat, save your money

mr.nick705

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,
thanks for all the responses! honestly I think I'd rather be safe than sorry considering I don't have money to replace my bike if anything major was to happen to it lol.
maybe someone else will be brave enough to try one and post the findings, id like to see the results.
Cheers, Nick

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to fully tweak your ECU contact ECUnleashed. They can reflash your ECU. No need for Power Commanders, etc.

Last edited:

birdman2389

Reaction score
Visit site
Like previously stated... this advances the timing by a little bit, tricking the ecu to think the bike is always cold. Use the money for a 15t front sprocket.

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
rubbish, it will do something but at what expense, it is as has been said just a computer trickster, it will tell the computer that it is colder and will inject more fuel. This was something i was looking at making back as a apprentice after doing fuel injection. You can do the same thing with your air flow meter or tps, dont waste you money or time.