Electronic Flasher Relays-Great Price!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of members seem to be doing the LED directionals and one question seems to always surface. Where should I put the resistors?
Even thought the directional signal duty cycle is momentary you still save current and they are more reliable than a filament lamp. With resistors that are added to emulate the incandescent bulbs current draw you lose the power saving advantage and have to worry where hot resistors are going to live and not get shorted out.

I've recently sourced a great place to purchase the electronic relays which eliminate having to use those resistors and will work with all OEM bulbs as well as LED and Bulb combo and LED only setups.
Most electronic flashers are $19-$20. These are $8.95! a Great price!

There are two types (motorcycle) listed that will work with most any bike with a 2 wire flasher. In fact I use a Yamaha Flasher in my Suzuki. It's just a matter of two wires.

Here's an example of a flasher I'm using in a project but it doesn't have the Yamaha plug. Instead it has 2 wires. The important part is the direction. on this unit the Grey wire goes to the 12 VDC coming from the switch and the black wire goes to the lights.
Canon.jpg

They have a flasher with a plug that looks like the Yamaha plug. LF1-S-FLAT: Universal Motorcycle Flasher. It has a red and black wire with plug.
timthumb.php

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...versal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/787/842/

Last edited:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, Cliff to the electrical-rescue again! I'm going to be swapping my stock signals out for some Rizomas soon, so this little bit of kit will come in quite handy!

To make sure I'm understanding it correctly, Cliff, this just replaces the flasher relay that was originally mounted on the outside of the frame (under the fairing)? Mine's neatly tucked inside the frame since my Buell conversion, but since I've got her torn all apart, it would be a good time to swap it out.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, Cliff to the electrical-rescue again! I'm going to be swapping my stock signals out for some Rizomas soon, so this little bit of kit will come in quite handy!

To make sure I'm understanding it correctly, Cliff, this just replaces the flasher relay that was originally mounted on the outside of the frame (under the fairing)? Mine's neatly tucked inside the frame since my Buell conversion, but since I've got her torn all apart, it would be a good time to swap it out.

Yes these are a great deal. I'm building a wig wag circuit and could have used a left over OEM flasher but got this one instead so I don't have to use ballast load. I did experiment with ballast load and I would have to come up with many resistors to share the heat or build a safe box to keep them in.

The electronic flasher runs great just off the coil load on the relay it's controlling. Dead steady rate regardless of load. The electronic flasher is outstanding! :rockon:
I think shipping is $2.99 anywhere in the US! They were fast getting it to me.

Additionally: Some of the LEDs use series resistors in the set up and I think Rizoma may be one. These resistors should not be confused with the load resistors and should be used per the manufacturer recommendation. They are used to drop voltage and are not load resistors. The load resistors are mounted across the line. The Series resistors are in line in series. :D

Last edited:

microage97

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup just ordered the flasher and the 2 wheels flush mount blinkers. I got a lot of mods to do, but have really even put 1 mile on yet. Just got the 09 FZ6 a couple weeks ago brand new for 5,500.00 delivered to my garage.

Dave

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great Find!! After putting this on you would still need to put in a 3-to-2 for the Blinker, running light, and common, correct???

When you say 3 to 2 are you talking about switching over to LEDs and keeping your running lights and flashing the running light as a directional?

The electronic flasher is just for a fixed flash rate with variable loads.

If that's what you're talking about here's a schematic I did to do that..:D

cult67

Reaction score
Visit site
When you say 3 to 2 are you talking about switching over to LEDs and keeping your running lights and flashing the running light as a directional?

The electronic flasher is just for a fixed flash rate with variable loads.

If that's what you're talking about here's a schematic I did to do that..:D

Can we use the relay you used in your Power/Accessory Relay to accomplish this? Or do you have a better choice in this regard?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can we use the relay you used in your Power/Accessory Relay to accomplish this? Or do you have a better choice in this regard?

That's a totally different mod. to deliver switched power accessories.

The electronic flasher relay is for your blinkers and 4way emergency lights. When you change to LED the flash rate changes or sometime won't flash so changing to an electronic type fixes that.

cult67

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a totally different mod. to deliver switched power accessories.

The electronic flasher relay is for your blinkers and 4way emergency lights. When you change to LED the flash rate changes or sometime won't flash so changing to an electronic type fixes that.

I was referring to the relay in your drawing to use an LED as a signal light and running light.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was referring to the relay in your drawing to use an LED as a signal light and running light.

The schematic I just posted is for running a single LED blinker as a running light and blinker.
What it does is allows the running light voltage to light the LED. When the directional signal is applied it powers the relay coil on and off and the steady running light LED becomes a blinker.

Years ago I was thinking of a way to do this for my FZ6 and had it in my head. I scribbled it on a napkin. Later I found the same circuit called a Magic relay and you can buy a set of them for cheaper (I think) than I could ever make them. Not long ago someone had the same question and I whipped up a schematic. Some people like to build and mod. so I like to share stupid little circuits like this in case someone wants to make it them selves. :D

Here's the link to the Magic Relay. They also have electronic flasher relays for over twice the price of the web site I originally posted. Custom LED Magic Blinker Relay - Convert 2 wire LED blinker to 3 wire

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So where do you plug this in at? Pics? Mine is on it's way.

Dave

Your OEM flasher relay is inside on the left side of your front plastics. I was able to reach in and swap mine but you may want to remove the inner plastics to get to it. The flasher relay is mounted in a rubber mount and it has two wires.

06fiz600

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a ton Motogiro!!
Just ordered one for mine after installing LED running POD lights with flush mounts.
The advice I find on here is priceless :rockon:

DeusEx

Reaction score
Visit site
I also changed the OEM blinkers with LED, but I didn't mind about the higher flashing rate..
On the contrary, it makes turning more noticeable from other drivers.
Is there any other reason to install a flasher, other than to decrease the flashing rate?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I also changed the OEM blinkers with LED, but I didn't mind about the higher flashing rate..
On the contrary, it makes turning more noticeable from other drivers.
Is there any other reason to install a flasher, other than to decrease the flashing rate?

Sometimes a bike owner will change only the front or the back of the bike to LED. Sometimes front and back are changed to LED. There is a variable load on the OEM flasher relay and because it uses heat developed from the load, variable loads vary how quickly the threshold is developed. Sometimes after changing to LEDs, when you use the 4 way/emergency flasher it fails completely and will not flash or flashes once and stops.
The electronic flasher uses an integrated circuit timer that flashes at a specific rate regardless of load.

Also: Some areas require a specific flash rate and the police will issue a ticket for incorrect flash rate.