Visit site
Coming to a highway near you!!

Here is the route I have right now:

Initial Route

Route edited as of March 12 11pm

Updated March 13
First stretch to LA
Second Stretch to back home

I'd love it if you guys could recommend some EPIC riding roads. I'm into jaw dropping landscapes and twisty roads. I don't mind having one and not the other and changing back and forth between the two. Also, I don't mind zig zagging and adding a bit of distance if it means better trip and roads. Also like out of the way attractions just not overly touristy.

Any route planning help would be appreciated. And I should be bringing along camping gear so random and crazy places are places I want to go. Into the wild!! Adventure touring on the FZ....in addition to the traditional sport touring of course!!

Cheers~

(expect to be on the road sometime in August)

(note: I canned the east coast because of the logistics....added so much time without much gain....and a ton of riding through the prairies....and the reason I was going to east coast in the first place was cancelled)

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks man. updated route to compensate.

but i dont think i want to stay along the pacific shore there the whole way up. im sure theres great roads inland a bit.

Last edited:

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with you there, there are great roads all over :) I just happen to hate interstates and avoid whenever possible. They are good for making time though...

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i just picked whatever googles default was to give an idea of my general route for geographical representation. but ya i agree with you. ill only ever take the primary main highways if ive fallen behind schedule.

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
I would also include the run up to Mt. St. Helens up to Johnston ridge is a lot of fun the back side going up to Windy Ridge is also nice and is much twistier but the road can be in quite poor condtion so care is required. I can also tell you the North Cascades Hwy is one not to miss some of the views are really quite nice and the road is also a lot of fun. depending on when you come through Washington I would love to do some riding with you

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps you could ride the coast of Ca south of Monterey to Morro Bay. Not many towns and mighty nice views.

Problem with riding along the coast in summer can be fog so you will need to bring some warm gear. On the flip side is Death Valley and Vegas is heat. I mean really hot 110-120 degrees plus. Bring some sort of hydration system such as a Camelback, it's best to drink while riding and not just at stops.

I would consider riding up Utah in the mountains (your stretch of Nevada is real boring). Utah has some great National parks like Zion, Bryce and ride the Grand Staircase up to Torrey, Utah.Woohoo!

North - South riding in the west is dull as most mountain ranges run that way. Anytime you can ride across west -east will be more fun. If you have time try to ride more secondary roads than interstates which tend to run through the flat areas.

markustyson

Reaction score
Visit site
I would recommend you take this interior BC route. It is far superior, plus, you get to go through wine country. I've done this a route a couple of times and it is amazing.

Salmon Arm to Hope

Also, is there a reason you want to go into Vancouver? After Abbotsford, you will hit a lot of traffic and not much scenery. I would make a B-line to a one of the border crossings soon rather than later. Vancouver is a nice city to visit, but driving you bike through it is another story.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
k ill adapt route when i get a chance. great info so far people. thanks.

and ya it would be great to link up with people along the way.

there is a SMALL possibility of my doing this in first week of may. more likely still in august tho.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Google street view take a lot of time but can really help you plan a route from a distance.

So are you going to include me on your NorCal segment or what? I can assure you I know 1 or 2 good roads :D

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Google street view take a lot of time but can really help you plan a route from a distance.

So are you going to include me on your NorCal segment or what? I can assure you I know 1 or 2 good roads :D

no I will be avoiding you like the plague.

here's what I got so far. obviously its all still very flexible. fleshing out the details a bit more now tho:

First stretch to LA
Second Stretch to back home

round trip mileage = 8,654km / 5,377mi

Last edited:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the riding north of San Francisco and west of Interstate 5 (I-5, "the 5") all the way to the Oregon boarder is not to be missed.

there is a map in the thread below...obviously you'd just be doing some of this:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/touring-traveling/18895-4-days-motocamping-bliss-norcal.html

Here is a truly epic sample:

MAP

oooooh very handy maps thanks.

updated route back

NorCALs starting to look really good. SoCal is a bit lacking. and north of california ithink there is def room for improvement tho its looking ok i think.

and @ krid for sure man.

Last edited: