Error Code 1 on 2004 FZ6

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that's when the ECU isn't receiving a signal.

I'd disconnect the battery (perhaps charge it?) and go from there.

edit:

found info

Fault code: Er-1
Diagnostic Code: --
Symptom: No signals are received from the ECU.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open or short circuit in wiring sub lead.
Malfunction in meter.
Malfunction in ECU.

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at manual it says Er-1 is an "Internal Malfunction" of the ECU, so if charging battery/resetting ECU doesn't work. You might have to swap it out. Hope it works out.

I think that's when the ECU isn't receiving a signal.

I'd disconnect the battery (perhaps charge it?) and go from there.

edit:

found info

Fault code: Er-1
Diagnostic Code: --
Symptom: No signals are received from the ECU.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open or short circuit in wiring sub lead.
Malfunction in meter.
Malfunction in ECU.

DavisFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I try not to dig up old threads but I got the same error on my 2006.

I haven't started it up all winter and 1st time I turned the key in the ignition I got that error. It also makes a clicking sound in the rear tail below the back of the seat.

I was able to jump start it with cables from my car but after running for 15-20 minutes I put it back together and accidently shut it off and it was 100% dead, same error code.

I tried a small little batter charger but when I hook it up it's says Def. Battery (I'm guessig defective battery).

I'm hoping this is just a dead/bad battery but worried that the error code says ECU.

Anyone else have this after winter?

soupflakes

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had that happen about a month ago on my FZ6, same year. I went to work and it was 16 degrees. When I got done and tried to start the bike it cranked slowly and threw that code. Put the bike inside, let it warm up, and it started right up. Turned out it was just a weak battery (and the fact it was so cold). I would say, if your battery isn't holding a charge, then yeah, it's just the battery. You'll probably put a new one in and be just fine.

DavisFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah thats what I figured it it. Don't know why they don't have a dead battery code instead of throwing an ECU code. Just made me worried a bit more. Now to hunt down a battery in Italy. Everything is closed on Sundays so will need to try and find time during the week.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you jump start your bike from a car, make sure the engine on the car is not running. The alternator on the car can toast the regulator rectifier on your bike.

It's very common to see error code 1 when the battery dumps on the FZ6.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you think it's the battery, and you think it doesn't have enough charge to turn over, but you still have power, try push starting the bike. Make sure you are in neutral, ignition and start button in the on position and start rolling the bike fast as you can with somebody pushing you are at least rolling downhill and then pop the clutch in first gear.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As the battery losses voltage while cranking the ECM is still doing a bunch of digital processing of all the data, inputs, outputs, etc but the instruction set never completes for all of the inputs <for example) and may record an error. When this happens "the error observed" could be a false failure but it doesn't know the full extent as it never completed diagnostic testing.
The ECM was shutdown due to low voltage from the drain imposed by the starter cranking. When the starter disconnects the system voltage climbs and the ECM returns to diagnostic processing finding nothing wrong. From this it displays the lowest code stored which is 1. Well that's what I got out reading the manual.

soupflakes

Reaction score
Visit site
try push starting the bike. Make sure you are in neutral, ignition and start button in the on position and start rolling the bike fast as you can with somebody pushing you are at least rolling downhill and then pop the clutch in first gear.

Doesn't work when it's 16 degrees out, your tire is rock hard, and the ground is wet and slippery, tire just slides, lol! :)

DavisFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry I should have followed up, went out of town, it was the battery.

I did try push starting it but like soupflakes said, cold weather=tire just skids. Tried 1st and 2nd gear, I've had better luck in 2nd with some other bikes.