Exhaust indecision

craigtlumsden

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have had my bike for a year, it is perfect stock. BUT I want to put on an exhaust, performance will be nothing it is simply to have it sing to me, if I was concerned with performance I would have bought an R6. So unlike most, I am unconcerned with how loud, I am considerate of others but when I get on the throttle I want that baby to turn heads 2 blocks away. I am looking for suggestions, I was thinking the closest I could get is Scorpion but I am not very knowledgeable on the exhausts available but extremely mechanically savvy. Anyone with experience with any of these applications I would love to hear from. I have read a lot and people seem concerned with noise, but this is definately not a concern of mine, ALTHOUGH I dont want to be ridiculous and sound terrible so keep in mind that I am aiming for a crisp clean throaty sound. HELP:)

Well I am a tad bias, but I like my Two Bros Carbons! There are on the verge of being "too loud" and I might get the db killer inserts to save my ears. Trust me, they will (and do) turn heads. Riding through downtown in between the buildings...it's noticably loud!

They have a sweet throaty rumble to them when idling and when rolling off the throttle.

I have a full write up here if you're interested: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/3068-two-brothers-carbon-fibre-exhaust-boneman.html

They (and most) aftermarket exhausts are not that hard to install. The Two Bros came with instructions and all the parts needed (nuts, bolts, wire splices, new FE kit w/ new signal lights, etc.). It is not a hard mod to perform. I went a little more indepth with my installation in regards to incorporating my existing FE kit and additional wiring and lighting.

I wont lie, they are not cheap. Probably the most expensive choice of aftermarket exhaust for the FZ6. But with TB, you do get what you pay for. IMHO, the look and sound is worth every penny.

There are many, many other choices of aftermarket exhausts out there for the FZ6:

Devil
Leo Vince
Akrapovic
Laser

Just do some Searching on this forum and Google to find more.

Last edited:
:rockon:

My Leo's could be heard !!!! loud with baffles in and f'kin loud with them out !!!

I'd go for either Two brothers or the Leos mate .... I personnaly think the Two Bro's look more pleasing to the eye but the leos sound swwweeeeeeettttttttttt :thumbup:

if design has anything to do with it then i would go with devil if you can believe it or not. I have been acquiring designs from the major companies so that i can make my own and from the looks of it the Devil has the best designed mid-pipe. It splits off further up and looks like it will allow a more even flow between the pipes...You can see by my beautiful arrows how the flow of exhaust would be with each design...

Devil.jpg

scorpions.jpg

i have the carbon scorps and it turns head. Some time ago, there was a thread on who wears ear plugs and who does'nt. Well i was like ear plugs for what, well i now wear them and i understand why. As far as installation, i am far from a mechanic, far far, but i rread the directions, looked at the stock exhaust, and about 2 to 2 1/2 hours later they where on. the funny part was, they are just straight pipes, i did not do the mid pipe at that time, and after i put the mid pipe on, "WOW". Thats all i could say. Hope that helped. By the way, i bought them on E-BAY for $425 shipped to my house.

I have the scorpions and I think they sound very nice, especially for the price. The cans are built very well in my opinion, but I am not soo impressed with the pipe clamps. I will probalby take mine off and replace them with some better ones. They just seem to have to be tighetened down far to much and I still have a very small leak where the pipe connects to the cat pipe. There is more flow out of the left hand silencer, but I am thinking about making some of my own baffles to quiet it just a bit so it doesn't get annoying on long highway rides because I will be commuting with it. This should even out the back pressure between the cans a little more as well.

It is entirely up to you which ones you get, and I am sure that when you finally decide, you will be happy as long as you listen to as many clips as possible of the different exhausts, or try to find memebers on here with aftermarket exhausts close enough to you that you may arrange a meetup and listen to them.

In my opinion, for the price compared to the price of the bike, scorpions have me more than satisfied, and I was originally dead set on the carbon two bros until I talked myself out of it because of the price.

Good luck and I am sure your bike will turn heads!

EDIT: for clarification, I have the Stainless Steel Scorpion oval cans

Last edited:
I installed my new carbon fiber Scorpions last week and I'm very pleased with them, both for quality of manufacture and quality of sound, all at a very reasonable price. They look damn good, too.

Might be tough to find Devils for awhile. This was on exotic sportbike's web page. They do sound GREAT.

"We will update this page once Devil Exhausts become available again. We apologize for the inconvenience and we thank you for your understanding.

Devil Exhaust is manufactured in France by DEVIL S.A.S. They were formerly imported into the United States by Devil Bikes LLC until 2007. Due to a conflict, DEVIL S.A.S. no longer sells to Devil Bikes LLC. There are currently no U.S. Importers for DEVIL S.A.S. and therefore we are unable to carry them at the moment.

Exotic Sportbike is NOT associated with DEVIL S.A.S., or any of its subsidiaries. DEVIL S.A.S. design and logos are registered trademarks of DEVIL S.A.S. All pictures and references to the Devil Exhaust name, or any motorcycle aftermarket part manufacturers, and the exhaust names and shapes are used for reference only. Exotic Sportbike no longer sell any parts manufactured by DEVIL S.A.S. Exotic Sportbike only sells aftermarket parts and accessories for motorcycles."

strange, i have been in contact with Devil for the past few days and they haven't mentioned anything. I have been gathering information on their design under the guise of wanting to purchase.

Last year when I was stationed in Yuma, AZ a friend of mine suggested scorpion and it seems that I looked only for that because it was all I knew, as far as I can tell they have a great sound to them but even at 23 years old I have an appreciation for something that looks like it grew there and Scorpion seems a little out of place. How it looks has great value to me as well. Also I looked at two brothers and noticed that the CF is 200 bucks more than alum.. WHY? are a couple of ounces really worth hundreds of dollars?

BTW, seriously you guys are great, it is awesome to be able to get advice from knowledgeable people that enthuse over the same bike that I do. You are all great! Thanks for the help.

I am in the same frame of mind as Craig with more questions. Do I have to install a power comander to keep the bike running as smooth as stock? Will the cat. elim. pipe help performance? And from you guys with some miles on your aftermarket exhaust, how is the quality of your bikes pipes?

My vote is Two Brothers. I am with Boneman on them being loud though! They are sometimes TOO loud for comfort. Here is my install thread.

I must say that I find it amusingly peculiar when folks comment about sportbike aftermarket pipes as being too loud. But that's because I come from a cruiser background, and my Cobra pipes on my Vulcan have a beautiful, "just-right" throaty grumble that will turn heads but won't blow out your eardrums! ;) The stock FZ6 is "silent" compared to what I'm used to!

I must say that I find it amusingly peculiar when folks comment about sportbike aftermarket pipes as being too loud. But that's because I come from a cruiser background, and my Cobra pipes on my Vulcan have a beautiful, "just-right" throaty grumble that will turn heads but won't blow out your eardrums! ;) The stock FZ6 is "silent" compared to what I'm used to!

Different sounds and way different frequencies. The cruiser exhaust is driven by coffee cans for pistons where the sportbike uses 4 of these little dinky pistons that make a high frequency sound that can literally hurt under the right circumstances. Clearing 100dbA is nothing for an I4.

Different sounds and way different frequencies. The cruiser exhaust is driven by coffee cans for pistons where the sportbike uses 4 of these little dinky pistons that make a high frequency sound that can literally hurt under the right circumstances. Clearing 100dbA is nothing for an I4.

That is for sure. The one time I rode with my db Killers out in the Arkos, I stopped about 5 miles later and stuck them back in. It felt like my helmet was pulsating on my head at certain rpms.

Also I looked at two brothers and noticed that the CF is 200 bucks more than alum.. WHY? are a couple of ounces really worth hundreds of dollars?

Yes. CF is more expensive than Alum.

There is also different manufacturing processes required for making the CF cans as opposed to the Alum or Ti ones.

I am in the same frame of mind as Craig with more questions. Do I have to install a power comander to keep the bike running as smooth as stock? Will the cat. elim. pipe help performance? And from you guys with some miles on your aftermarket exhaust, how is the quality of your bikes pipes?

No, you don't need a PC III if you are just putting on aftermarket pipes. Do some searching around on the forum for more info and details as this has been discussed many times.

You might get a tad more performace without a cat, but then I would add in a PC III.

Quality of my TB CF's are top notch. Got a few hundred Km on them and they still look brand new.

Last edited:
No, you don't need a PC III if you are just putting on aftermarket pipes. Do some searching around on the forum for more info and details as this has been discussed many times.

You might get a tad more performace without a cat, but then I would add in a PC III.

True, you can put the pipes on and not make any other changes however, the bikes are set up from the factory to meet air quality standards which means they are traditionally lean as represented by numerous dyno runs available on line. By using a controller you can tailor the system to offer the maximum gain which will make a difference that is often significant.

hi mate
i own an fz6 naked 2006 model,i fitted scorps on mine,they sound sweet,take out the db killer and listen to them howl,pop and bang,cops in uk can get a bit pissie about this so i keep db killers under the seat,i cant fault the scorps a bit fiddly to fit,but take your time and they will go on ok
hope this helps

Back