Few minor (fingers crossed) issues

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello guys,
The weather puts a smile on my face, as we went for the first ride of this year, Old US 18 and US 181; the roads are so empty, we sport/street bikers are just flying :D

Anyway, I have a few questions about our girlfriends. ;)

1. Vibrations in the rear view mirrors (OEM FZ09 handlebar mirrors, not stock), tires are like new/new (rear 6k PR4 and front 1k miles PR3); but the vibes are there before and after tire change, balancing them separately.
The bike is at 12k miles now, I see a little bit of oil consumption, and I did not change the spark plugs in past 9k miles, I had her.
Just started following http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...tion-cure-bad-vibrations-spark-plug-caps.html
and planning to get new sparks and get it fixed, any other options/solutions/problem?

2. At 40mph+ (which is steady enough) to get me to leave both my hands, the bike leans left; I thought the previous owner didn't do the tire balancing well, but I got it done, properly this time and still have this issue; When I rode Linus's bike, I felt a tiny bit(which might be wind on the freeway), but mine feels a bit more than regular(doesn't cause any problem though).

3. I found Linus's bike make a grinding sound when going from 10-15mph, with hard pull(2nd hear), similar happened with 3rd gear, at 20-25mph pull.
Scenario: I usually coast near the empty signal, waiting to turn green, as I hate to put my feet down. Sometimes, at 10 mph, I pull MY own bike from 2nd gear, with no issues, but when I did the same with his 2007 (4kmiles), I heard grinding sound from the gears. And also, his clutch is a bit harder than mine (It has been a year and I don't remember how mine was, when I got it). Can someone share their knowledge on this issue please.

Thanks in advance.IMG_1574.jpgIMG_1580.jpg

Last edited:

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
3. I found Linus's bike make a grinding sound when going from 10-15mph, with hard pull(2nd hear), similar happened with 3rd gear, at 20-25mph pull.
Scenario: I usually coast near the empty signal, waiting to turn green, as I hate to put my feet down. Sometimes, at 10 mph, I pull MY own bike from 2nd gear, with no issues, but when I did the same with his 2007 (4kmiles), I heard grinding sound from the gears. And also, his clutch is a bit harder than mine (It has been a year and I don't remember how mine was, when I got it). Can someone share their knowledge on this issue please.

This could be from an improperly tensioned chain, too tight or bad maintenance resulting in a sticky link could produce a grinding feel/noise. I had a horrible grinding noise in the first couple of gears that would dissapear at higher speeds. My chain was awful and stretched super loose in one section and was way too tight in another section.

You want 2" of play at the tightest spot, and I'd recommend if you change a chain do both sprockets at the same time. My chain was partially stretched wrong because I replaced it without touching either sprocket. They wear at the same time and start to only match each other.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of things can induce vibes.
First you need to Isolate road vibes from engine vibes. So is it speed related or RPM related?

Engine:
Plugs & wires per link above. Excessive plug gap is not in your favor...
Fuel brand can impact this.
Fuel cleaners can help. Try Techron 3 to 4 times a year.
Valve adjustment.
TB sync for low RPM driveability & roughness but will NOT correct issues over 3500RPM. Thats likely something else...
If above items do not correct issues, compression test could be a next step. TB sync and idle set with a real vacuum gauge will help you see if the actual engine vacuum fits in the OEM spec for RPM. If it doesn't a simple leak may be the cause, or improper TB sync or something more bad!

Drive train:
Tire balance will not make a bike lean. Rear tracking being off could be factor but it would have to be a lot.
Confirm bars triple and wheel all point straight ahead... I don't see head bearings impacting this either...

If the vibes are from the chassis:
Tire balance and roundness
Chain condition and alignment, plus the quality of lube. Actual petroleum based products IME offer smoother chain operation...

Now; if the lean and vibe are from the chassis; it could be you kill two birds with one shot by fixing the wheel alignment!

More detail please...

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
This could be from an improperly tensioned chain, too tight or bad maintenance resulting in a sticky link could produce a grinding feel/noise. I had a horrible grinding noise in the first couple of gears that would dissapear at higher speeds. My chain was awful and stretched super loose in one section and was way too tight in another section.

You want 2" of play at the tightest spot, and I'd recommend if you change a chain do both sprockets at the same time. My chain was partially stretched wrong because I replaced it without touching either sprocket. They wear at the same time and start to only match each other.

Thanks, I'll start from the chain tension.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of things can induce vibes.
First you need to Isolate road vibes from engine vibes. So is it speed related or RPM related?
above 65mph, the right side mirror shows 8 headlights of a car with 2 lights, where as left one shows a constant vibe, like a light trails photograpgy.

Engine:
Plugs & wires per link above. Excessive plug gap is not in your favor... Didn't check yet

Fuel brand can impact this.
Always shell or exxonn, except for on a long drive, Kangaroo Express: always unleaded, heard on this forum, regular is fine.

Fuel cleaners can help. Try Techron 3 to 4 times a year.
With every oil/filter change (3000-3500 miles) I use the bottle (for 10 Gal of fuel) bottle for a full tank gas.

Valve adjustment. - Didn't do yet
TB sync for low RPM driveability & roughness but will NOT correct issues over 3500RPM. Thats likely something else... - didn't do yet
If above items do not correct issues, compression test could be a next step. TB sync and idle set with a real vacuum gauge will help you see if the actual engine vacuum fits in the OEM spec for RPM. If it doesn't a simple leak may be the cause, or improper TB sync or something more bad!

Drive train:
Tire balance will not make a bike lean. Rear tracking being off could be factor but it would have to be a lot.
Confirm bars triple and wheel all point straight ahead... I don't see head bearings impacting this either...

If the vibes are from the chassis:
Tire balance and roundness

Chain condition and alignment, plus the quality of lube. Actual petroleum based products IME offer smoother chain operation...
Using actual chain lubricator(Dupont ChainSaver spray can).
And for alignment, I will wet the tires, and ride them in a straight line and see whether they are aligned or not(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1hgZ1eLmPE)..!

Now; if the lean and vibe are from the chassis; it could be you kill two birds with one shot by fixing the wheel alignment!

More detail please...[/QUOTE]

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That doesnt nail it down. So it could be engine or drive train. Try 65 in 2nd and 65 in 6th and then coast clutch in. Same result?

As for water wetting you tire, that doesnt seem to telling. Try a string from front to rear... Some have trouble others see what needs to seen and it works. Its not for everyone but it does work well. Its a Sticky How to string align...

If I were to guess, id bet you could intentionally shift the axle 2.0° and not detect it by a water trail. Try it and see.!!!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
That doesnt nail it down. So it could be engine or drive train. Try 65 in 2nd and 65 in 6th and then coast clutch in. Same result?

2nd gear has similar/tiny bit more vibrations than 60mph at 6th gear.
and no vibes at all at xx or xxx speed with clutch closed in.