Final Impact Winter project; playing w/trigger

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One thing I didn't answer was that it's an all nothing deal. You must have the piggyback fuel controller as the data logger does not stand alone.

KB2WYL

CQ CQ, DE KB2WYL
Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I thought, which would mean I would need a PC logger, or a complete setup actually since the PCFC doesn't take piggybacks. I checked out the threads, although most of the files seem to not be there now. Would have liked to check out a few, shoot, may have already, when I downloaded all of mine was after those threads...

I'll start a new one when I get to that point. Going down to Bay area weekend before Easter. I know there is a shop down there that does the Unleashed tunes. I do not like them, at all, as a company, after being not answered 3 times in a row. But that doesn't mean that there's not a very respectable, experienced, person down at that shop who has done a few FZ6 in their day and knows what is going on. I'm definitely going to check into it, if not for any other reason than that I still have not found ANY write ups on "I did the trigger and then had the restrictions removed". Shoot, I haven't even found anyone writing about having the restrictions removed alone....Would be nice to have a real, in depth, review of what it's all about. I get that there's always the next bike out there and people move on, but I think the FZ6 is such a good all around bike, one you can start on, and one you can even get in trouble on later. I think that for years to come people will be coming back to all this info, and it's really fun to be a part of what seems like just a small group of guys still experimenting with it (at least publishing their results). Plus, if it was done, I'd bet by comparison we could gleam some more info with all the work you have done, Randy, and info you have collected already (dumps, etc.)

Anyway...

Yeah the new trigger is on the way. Will be interesting to see if it's actually 6.5 degrees. I hope it is, would open this up to a lot of guys scared at the thought of machining, and/or too much of an increase :)

Loren

KB2WYL

CQ CQ, DE KB2WYL
Reaction score
Visit site
Had to come back to this thread....So, for anyone searching the Forum in the Future:

FZ6R Timing is 1.5 degrees advanced of our FZ6 (S1 + S2)

FZ6R timing rotor (trigger wheel) has a slightly different part number than FZ6

But.....

Indeed, as suspected, both Part numbers are the same. Although they are listed as different part numbers in the catalog, they even have the same part number stamped on them.

Now we know for certain.

Loren

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I knew I verified that w/ guys on 600cc.org.... PN lookup did not support those findings....

Bolt on placebo effect! :(

On that note this past weekend I noticed why one of my experiments didn't work. The bikes ecu ignores speed sensor when in neutral. It also appears to ignore it when the crank is stopped (no cps input) and it believes it is in gear. In short, the only valid input is when the cps and speed sensor agree with each other via a valid divisible ratio like those of the gear box.... hence the reason it ignored my **fabricated** speed inputs as they did not match cps.....

I really need an electronic transmission! :Flip:

Diexgo

Reaction score
yamahafz6.foroargentina.net
Hello boys, i have been reading all what you said and is a great job, and so much information available for the rest o us. Have some question, some doubts, maybe i'm missing something. I have recently read about "Flash Tune" (https://ftecu.com) and "Piasini Serial Suite" (I think is what ECU Unsleashed use), and what i understand is with any of these tools, someone can play with the ECU settings of an FZ6 (and other models too). Maybe it costs too much if you send them the ECU, and they do the settings, but i have seen some of these kits at reasonable costs:

Newest Serial Suite Piasini Engineering V4.3 Master Version

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/Newe...ster-Version-With-USB-Dongle/32709020219.html

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/2016...sini-V4-1-Activated-JTAG-BDM/32718531658.html

Serial Suite Piasini Engineering V4.1 MASTER

I repeat, i don't know if someting is out of my consideration. It says it can manage Mitsubishi ECUs, and i think is what FZ6 uses. If this is true, we can play with all these parameters (eliminate factory restrictions, improve throttle response, change ignition maps, eliminate timing retard and more) without modify hardware like timing trigger wheel.

Am i right ?. :confused:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello boys, i have been reading all what you said and is a great job, and so much information available for the rest o us. Have some question, some doubts, maybe i'm missing something. I have recently read about "Flash Tune" (https://ftecu.com) and "Piasini Serial Suite" (I think is what ECU Unsleashed use), and what i understand is with any of these tools, someone can play with the ECU settings of an FZ6 (and other models too). Maybe it costs too much if you send them the ECU, and they do the settings, but i have seen some of these kits at reasonable costs:

Newest Serial Suite Piasini Engineering V4.3 Master Version

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/Newe...ster-Version-With-USB-Dongle/32709020219.html

https://es.aliexpress.com/item/2016...sini-V4-1-Activated-JTAG-BDM/32718531658.html

Serial Suite Piasini Engineering V4.1 MASTER

I repeat, i don't know if someting is out of my consideration. It says it can manage Mitsubishi ECUs, and i think is what FZ6 uses. If this is true, we can play with all these parameters (eliminate factory restrictions, improve throttle response, change ignition maps, eliminate timing retard and more) without modify hardware like timing trigger wheel.

Am i right ?. :confused:

10 mo late.
Yes. But its not a walk in the park to decode the maps and modify the values writing back the proper checksum.

That said, there is a lot of guess work when you don't know the intent of the original engineers who wrote the maps.

weehe

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a new trigger wheel coming in the mail so I can do this. My only current question is what are you saying needs to be welded?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a new trigger wheel coming in the mail so I can do this. My only current question is what are you saying needs to be welded?

I'm making up a value here but if the original cut out is 5mm wide and you open it up to 7mm to rotate it, thats 2mm that are no longer acting as support to lock it in place. In short what you remove from one side should be added back to the other side so it can't move.

That said I know some have opened it up and left it and there were no problems.

weehe

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm making up a value here but if the original cut out is 5mm wide and you open it up to 7mm to rotate it, thats 2mm that are no longer acting as support to lock it in place. In short what you remove from one side should be added back to the other side so it can't move.

That said I know some have opened it up and left it and there were no problems.

I thought this was going to be straight forward, but I'm not really following what actually needs to be filed. Based on the picture in IJet's post (https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6...r6-cams-head-gasket-headers-here-we-go-3.html) he filed the left portion of the tab when the tab is pointing up. But based on your picture of the back of the wheel (tab facing down) you are saying to file the right side of the tab. Additionally, you say to confirm total rotational measurement by rotating CW. This would not match your picture, but would match IJet's picture.

However, several posts say to file the cutout. So not sure if that also needs to be filed.

Also, in several posts I see:
NOTE: the OEM Locator Tab is 0.0197" wide uncut. File the leading edge to obtain final thickness.
4 deg adv: 0.197" - 0.036" = 0.161" final width 5 deg adv: 0.197" - 0.045" = 0.152" final width!
!
I'm pretty sure the 0.0197" is a typo and it should be 0.197". My tab measures 0.194", so while it is close I can't match the measurement exactly to yours (I understand it is a negligible difference). The rest of my measurements match what you have. I'm aiming for 6* advance, so starting with 0.194" my calculations say final measurement of the tab will be 0.140".

I was hoping to not need to open the bike to figure out how this works, but looks like I might need to to better understand how the wheel fits on there.

weehe

Reaction score
Visit site
I went ahead and filed down the new wheel to 0.140" the same way IJet did. Only got to ride it around the block, but no issues. I only run 93, so that is why I went for 6°. Hoping for a longer ride tomorrow to see if I can feel a difference.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought this was going to be straight forward, but I'm not really following what actually needs to be filed. Based on the picture in IJet's post (https://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6...r6-cams-head-gasket-headers-here-we-go-3.html) he filed the left portion of the tab when the tab is pointing up. But based on your picture of the back of the wheel (tab facing down) you are saying to file the right side of the tab. Additionally, you say to confirm total rotational measurement by rotating CW. This would not match your picture, but would match IJet's picture.

However, several posts say to file the cutout. So not sure if that also needs to be filed.

Also, in several posts I see:

I'm pretty sure the 0.0197" is a typo and it should be 0.197". My tab measures 0.194", so while it is close I can't match the measurement exactly to yours (I understand it is a negligible difference). The rest of my measurements match what you have. I'm aiming for 6* advance, so starting with 0.194" my calculations say final measurement of the tab will be 0.140".

I was hoping to not need to open the bike to figure out how this works, but looks like I might need to to better understand how the wheel fits on there.

How to DIY in post #19 corrected single typo from "0.0197" to 0.197". Although it is pretty obvious it was a typo as all of the supporting math shows the correct #.

Seeing's there is no picture of the of the final check measurement performed on the engines crankshaft, I am not following you...
Did you check your final amount of rotation?
I went to that level of detail as most do not own an ignition timing gun capable of checking the advance on a waste spark I4, thus the only sanity that the amount filed is correct it the measure of rotation while in place on the cranks keyway.

I do see why it is difficult when are references are the back side of the item in question. The key take away is that to advance the ignition, filing has to allow it to rotate CW from its original position.

Good luck and if you do hear it ping, you best check the total rotation or risk destroying the engine. 6+° is a good bit of mechanical advance for this application.