Flat tire this morning

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I was going for an early morning ride so I opened the shed, mounted the bike, retracted the kick-stand and started to roll the bike back wards only to find it tough to move. A quick look back revealed a completely flat rear tire. Arrrggghh!!

I put it on the center stand and started looking for the reason for the flat. I used my bicycle floor pump to re-inflate it. It seemed to be holding just fine. Found a few cuts and suspicious holes but none made bubbles when saliva was applied. After an hour it was still at the same pressure. So, I added more air, removed the wheel and dunked it in a tub of water. Tiny air bubbles revealed the source of the leak.

So, I finally got a chance to use my Dyna-Plug, Welcome to Dynaplug.com! Home of The World's Best Tire Repair Tool! , and it sucked. I had to resort to a rubber mallet to get it through the tire casing. The brass tip came off and the sticky rope came out. I tried another and it went in as advertised but leaked air. Another plug was added as they say you can use up to 4 per hole but it continued to leak, a lot.

I pulled out my old Wal-Mart sticky rope kit. Reamed the hole, applied glue to the rope, inserted with the tool and retracted. Inflated the tire and the sticky rope stayed in the hole and appeared to be stopping the leak. Inflated the tire and waited some more; all good.

At this point the patch seems good enough to get me to the shop for a set of Michelin Pilot Road CT2 tires. At 7k my stock Dunlop tread seems pretty far gone. I was surprised the were not longer lasting.

Oh well, better to have this happen at home than on the road.

Tim

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry man. Flats suck, (and are very expensive if you replace the tire everytime you have a flat like I do).
I recently took out a motorcycle roadsice assistance plan. While it won't prevent flats it does give me peace of mind.
(Glad your flat happened at home)
Safe riding.