Forum says touring tire; mechanic says sport tire?

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Definately go the sports tourers & might I suggest the Metzeler Z8 ;) ;) Amazing tyre & I swear by them for any type of application :thumbup:

Ohh & I suggest a new mechanic too :BLAA:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The BEST tyre for your bike, or any road bike has been PROVEN to be the Metzeler Z8 Interact.

Better dry weather performance, and SIGNIFICANTLY better wet weather performance.

There is simply no other tyre I would use or recommend.

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't been able to wear out a PRII on the back as I pick up road crap and puncture the tire. I do still have the front PRII up front with 10,500 miles on it, maybe half worn.. The PRIIs worked fine in the rain for me (and it rains very heavy here in Florida in the wet season).

I currently have a PRIII on the back and its performed well so far (I really can't tell any difference between the II and the III).

The only thing I don't care for with the PRIII is all the little rain grooves (which of course helps in the rain). The reason being, its a bitch checking the tire (I had a very slow leak-turned out to be the internals to the valve stem) with all those grooves, the PRII, piece of cake checking it.

Once I wear out, or pick up crap, in the rear of this PR III, I'll likely go back to the PRII..

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Wow people really love tires here. It's almost like oil. I believe any new tire from any company will perform almost equally. Most people seem to pick one tire and stay with it so they can never really compare.

I just went from a BT-023 to a PR2 and feel very little difference in handling and no difference in traction. I'm willing to bet Metzler, Conti, Dunlop, Avon and Pirelli would do the job just as well.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are not planning on riding in the rain, you can save yourself some money and go with PR2's. They are the same tire as PR3's without the extra siping (which only helps in wet conditions).

I have PR2's on mine and even in the rain, they feel very stable.

Very smart man! I use the PR2 on many different bikes and have ridden in downpours with almost worn out tires and no troubles at all. Just ordered a set of PR2 for my KTM.
I did a track day on my 150 hp FZ1 (that sucker was tuned to GO!) on new PR2's with no problems at all. Great tire.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow people really love tires here. It's almost like oil. I believe any new tire from any company will perform almost equally. Most people seem to pick one tire and stay with it so they can never really compare.

I just went from a BT-023 to a PR2 and feel very little difference in handling and no difference in traction. I'm willing to bet Metzler, Conti, Dunlop, Avon and Pirelli would do the job just as well.

I had Bridgestones on my FJR from the factory new. If I got 5,000 miles out of them it was alot.

Yes, the FZ6 is considerably lighter, not as much torque, but between 600cc's and the Pirelli PRII (and III), its REALLY, REALLY NICE, getting 2-3 times the mileage out of them. My local shop doesn't see me nearly as much any more...:)

+1 on any new new tire performing better than an old worn out one BUT, I want something that suits my needs (for me, a long mileage, sport touring tire). I refuse to purchase any brand x tire to save a couple of $'s, won't happen..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the first time I kept the front and threw a new rear tire on; front retained 50% tread compared to the rear. What I found is its just not as solid as having two new tires at once. Specifically low speed sharp turns (30mph) under light braking it feels like it pushes out/twitches occasionally. Its loosing tread fast so it will be replaced shortly. But it will likely be the last time I don't do them both at once.

Currently the front has BT016 Pro and the rear an S20. These tires have awesome grip but don't last long.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on any new new tire performing better than an old worn out one BUT, I want something that suits my needs (for me, a long mileage, sport touring tire). I refuse to purchase any brand x tire to save a couple of $'s, won't happen..

Big +1 to your +1! Going from old / squared off / dried up tries to new ones will always make for a huge improvement, but my last set (on FZ1) was Pilot Powers.. which lasted all of 4k miles (rear was completely shot at 4k). My PR2s now have more than 8k miles on them now and they look half worn at most. I don't feel any loss of stickiness either.
So it's not fair to say that all tires are the same.

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site

Went with the PR2s yesterday, going out for a ride this morning. Just the ride home, I could tell the difference from the old squared rear stocker. Great advice on getting a tire for needs. Talked to tech at shop and he convinced me to save a few $$ over the PR3s since it hardly rains in AZ.:Sport: