Forum says touring tire; mechanic says sport tire?

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
My mechanic and I seem to be at odds over the type of tire I need on the back of a 2007 FZ6 w/ 12.5K miles on it.

The front tire is Dunlop SportMax (original OEM?) but not at the wear bars. The rear tire is a Metzler Roadtec Z6 with lots of wear on the sidewalls from the prior owner.

Reading in the forums here, though, I see folks deciding between the following "touring" tires:
  • Michelin Pilot Road 3
  • Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact
I don't plan on track days -- I just want to commute on twisty surface streets and sometimes, interstates. I also want to ride up to the mountains of north Georgia when my skills are better and do conservative twisties. I also don't plan on riding in rain unless I screw up planning a commute / ride.

I'm leaning toward the Michelin Pilot Road 3 -- should I be considering a sportier tire, or stick with my sport touring choice?

Thanks,
nthdegreeburns

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I think what you are leaning towards would work just fine :) I put PR2s on my bike this spring and really like them so far. Your mechanic just wants you to buy softer tires so they wear out faster so he can make money selling/mounting them for you more often :ban:

teej21012

Reaction score
Visit site
As someone who bought the PR3's, don't change your mind at all. The PR3 is an AMAZING tire for both touring and aggressive riding through twisties. If you do plan on riding in the rain, they added the siping technology so it whisks away water faster/more efficiently. I love mine. That first corner after you get them changed, they literally throw you into the turn and it is lovely.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Your mechanic just wants you to buy softer tires so they wear out faster so he can make money selling/mounting them for you more often :ban:

Heh -- I could see that from a dealer. This is just a guy working in his driveway fixing up old / new bikes. I think he's concerned that I'm gonna try and "play" on the bike and be on the wrong tires. Far from it -- I'm still building up courage to hit the interstates, let alone speed.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
As someone who bought the PR3's, don't change your mind at all. The PR3 is an AMAZING tire for both touring and aggressive riding through twisties. If you do plan on riding in the rain, they added the siping technology so it whisks away water faster/more efficiently. I love mine. That first corner after you get them changed, they literally throw you into the turn and it is lovely.

Would you recommend doing both tires at once, then? Since the Dunlop SportMax is as old as the bike, going by the DOT numbers?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If your 2007 bike is still on the original front it is at least 6 years old and I would match a new front to what ever you choose so you'll have fresh matching compounds and tire profile that is meant to work together. :)

I'm surprised your mekinick didn't suggest this!:rolleyes:

teej21012

Reaction score
Visit site
What Motogiro said (he so smart :D). Best to have a matching tire so the compounds work together and you keep the maintenance schedule the same (assuming one doesn't blow up).

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 to all of the above! Get a matching set of either z8s or pr2s or pr3s... and a new mechanic! :BLAA:

jb1390

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are not planning on riding in the rain, you can save yourself some money and go with PR2's. They are the same tire as PR3's without the extra siping (which only helps in wet conditions).

I have PR2's on mine and even in the rain, they feel very stable.

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are not planning on riding in the rain, you can save yourself some money and go with PR2's. They are the same tire as PR3's without the extra siping (which only helps in wet conditions).

This is perfect timing :thumbup:. Just did a thorough washing and ckeck of my ride yesterday and noticed I will need new tires soon (a week maybe :eek:). Since it hardly (if ever) rains in AZ, I'll spring for the PR2s. Thanks folks, your wisdom and knowledge are greatly appreciated.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
My bad - yup, the D252 is in the SportMax family.

Whew -- I was wondering why in the world I'd have a 2007 / 2008 non-OEM tire on the front after four (4) owners. LOL!

I'll check to see the price diff between the PR2 and PR3 series, based on other recommendations here.

Thx!

nthdegreeburns

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have PR2's on mine and even in the rain, they feel very stable.

+1! I have no experience with PR3s, but I've ridden in serious downpour on PR2s at highway speeds. They performed great.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i've been on track with a squared off set of BT021's on my fz6, I think they also used BT023's at the CSS for a while (until their sponsor changed)

they are good because they are hard wearing in the middle, but are sticky on the edges for canyon carving. They also don't need too much warming up, and are pretty sticky once hot. :thumbup:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I have also ridden in torrential downpours with PR2's, at speeds of 100+ MPH on the highway and have never felt even the slightest slip. I can only imagine the PR3's are even better, although I doubt you would be able to feel much of a difference.

The point is, any new tire is extremely capable in both dry and wet conditions. A lot of people are afraid of riding in the rain. Do you ever feel your car slide out or slip when it's raining? My guess is, unless you really try to break traction, you don't. Motorcycles are no different, just have to watch out for the painted stripes and metal potholes/ bridge gaps.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Pilot Road 3's for me! Just took OEM Dunlap Qualifiers off my CBR600RR and replaced with PR3's - why, because the OEM tires were bad in the rain, bad when it was cold and you could not trust them until they were warmed up. The PR3 (and PR2) need very little if any warmup, stick well enough to pull the front wheel up on wet pavement. Have been thru 2 PR2 fronts, 1 PR2 rear and 2 PR3 rears on my old FZ6. There is an article on the web about a fella who ran PR3's on a couple of track days plus commuting. He loves the PR3. Looked at the Pilot Power 3 which has a little more grip (which I probably would not use except for a track day) but does not last as long as the PR3.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly I'd be listening to the knowledge in this forum. Why listen to one (mechanic) when you can have the ear of dozens with hands on knowledge.
In the end there really isn't a "bad decision".....you'll always be able to correct it next set of tires.