FZ1 Handle bar install

Here is my install with the FZ1 bar, and the Roxspeed risers. I pretty much did the combo because I didn't necessarily want to go lower, I just wanted slightly more comfortable arm position and the Anti Vibrationyness of the Roxspeed risers. As it is now, it is very close to stock, I need to let the progrips dry before I can really do any sore of real test on this but I am optimistic, I could probably stand to go for even less of an angle and move the risers slightly back, but Im not sure how well it would fit.. If I was doing Naked I'd be all over a dualsport riding position. I will just have to crash it and see :squid:

Can someone comment on the pullback of the FZ1 bars compared to the stocks? Maybe even a pic of one on top of the other from above. The main thing I'm looking for is less pullback.

Can someone comment on the pullback of the FZ1 bars compared to the stocks? Maybe even a pic of one on top of the other from above. The main thing I'm looking for is less pullback.

Its not perfect but the pic I had in my post before your's kind of shows the difference in pullback between the stock and the FZ1 bar on it. It doesn't show height as much since Im using them on risers, but you can see a little bit less pullback.

These bars look good for less pullback.

PJs Parts

Took a small ride to test things out today. I am happy.

1> While it's not feasible to expect all vibrations to go away, it sure as heck did a better job than the grip puppies and the YZF1000R bar ends combined. And the best part is its all consistent from the feel of the hands all through the RPM Range. I can hear something rattling in the front fairing area when I get around the 6-8k spot, but its not my hands.

2> Handlebar position, I really the arm / hand position of the FZ1 bars. I felt the FZ6 bars tried to go too far back and at too much of an angle. It just seemed like bad ergonomics to me, and my wrist agree'd. Its only a slight difference, but my wrists thank me for the FZ1 bars now.

Can anyone see why the handlebars from an '07 FZ1 wouldn't fit on my '05 FZ6. It seems to be the same principal to attaching them, and they have less rise and cost 1/2 as much.

Anyone have instructions (maybe pics?:thumbup:) on how to do this? My FZ1 bar should be coming in either today or tomorrow. $42 after tax and delivery. I'm so pumped about this cause the stock bars suck!:Flip:

I think they are all 7/8 (22mm) bars and any should/would work. I'm going to try my Renthal offroad bars to see what they look like. I imagine they will look a bit funny since my bike isn't a streetfighter but we'll see.

hi is the fz1 bar a straight swap? do we need to mod this bar in anyway to use it on the fz6? thanks.

it is a fairly straight forward mod to do, although you will find that your forward controls (indicators and starter) have a locating peg at the 12 o'clock position, the FZ1 locating pegs are in a different position.

you got 3 choices...

1 drill new locating holes (make sure you get a drill as close in size to the original holes and mark very carefully where the new holes are to be drilled)
2 cut the locating pegs from the controls (Will result in your indicator and starter controls moving around as they wont be located securely)
3 swap your forward controls for FZ1 items (can get costly)

Other than that its dead easy. I went down the route of drilling new holes.

it is a fairly straight forward mod to do, although you will find that your forward controls (indicators and starter) have a locating peg at the 12 o'clock position, the FZ1 locating pegs are in a different position.

you got 3 choices...

1 drill new locating holes (make sure you get a drill as close in size to the original holes and mark very carefully where the new holes are to be drilled)
2 cut the locating pegs from the controls (Will result in your indicator and starter controls moving around as they wont be located securely)
3 swap your forward controls for FZ1 items (can get costly)

Other than that its dead easy. I went down the route of drilling new holes.

I am now intrigued. Hm... so the two big plastic blobs (housing the indicator button on left and starter button on right) ahead of the front of the grips are what need holes right? i.e., I need to drill 2 holes -- one on either side of the bars? I guess once the grips and controls are off, I can see where the holes on the stock FZ6 bars are and use that as a guide.

I think to get the bar ends off, just take an allen wrench and turn counterclockwise (i.e., lefty loosey) right?

I bet the controls on either side are bolts and screws -- no problem.

How are the FZ6 grips to take off? is it easy or a major pain? I don't have a compressed air gun and I want to reuse them.

I did a bar swap on my Vstar and it was not tough but getting the grips off was not easy. When I took the grips off (I had heated grips installed by the dealer), for the left side, I had to stick a thin screwdriver in there and really work hard to loosen/break the epoxy and it didn't come off at all so that grip was destroyed. The right one was easy by design and there was a pre-drilled hole on my new bars for the throttle assembly. That hole is what holds it in place.

destroyed left grip
predrilled hole

If this FZ1 bar swap is not hard, I may do it. I kind of wish the FZ6 had a little more aggressive riding posture and for about $40, it would be a nice mod.

I have an '08 and from what I read in here, the FZ1 bars will fit all 06+. I'm just about to click on part 2D1-26111-01-00 on the website in a previous reply for $35.20 (not sure on shipping).

Thanks,

Dennis
I'm not sure I like this site :D -- every time I visit, I'm spending $$

Just got the parts for my streetfighter conversion and FZ1 bars, new grips, etc.

Hoping to get this done and post pics by tomorrow night (working, full-time student = lame). This thread makes me excited!

bars on:
DSC01833.jpg

FZ8 light on:
DSC01836.jpg

Back