FZ6 Fazer Gearbox

46robbie46

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, from the UK and i'm looking at buying a FZ6 Fazer for my next bike. I really do like the Fazer, and have been really impressed by all of the reviews I have seen for the bike, all apart from one little thing... The gearbox. I have basically heard that the gearboxes on these bikes are rubbish, but are they really that bad? I mean, are you able to live with it or is it something that you would consider buying a different bike for?

The other bike i am looking at is the Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, which really isn't a match for the FZ6 on looks, engine, brakes, build quality etc.

Basically i have got my heart set on the Fazer but i'm worried about the gearbox!

Thanks!!

Rob

Hi robbie,

I got a fazer a month ago...first bike for me ...yes the gearbox is a bit clunky but only in the first 2 gears...it gets better with practice....

You learn to live with it, i dont know of anyone that has actually had to have a gearbox repair, its just getting use to the first 2 gears, different oil makes all the difference.

Yes, gearbox into 1st and 2nd is quite a clunk, but there are things you can do to mitigate that a bit: a different oil, preload shifter, and finding that sweet spot.

I've had mine for a year and a half, I've got almost 16,000 miles on it and no problems with the gear box.

Pull the trigger on the FZ6, you won't be sorry, but enjoying every moment of every ride.

Wow, thanks for the fast replies! They were the kind of replies which i was i hoping for to be honest. I would much rather have the FZ6 than the Bandit...

Another question, what are the main differences between the original FZ6 and the FZ6 S2? I am after the S2 version mainly because of the styling differences anyway, but i assume there are some more changes other than just cosmetic.

Cheers ;)

Wow, thanks for the fast replies! They were the kind of replies which i was i hoping for to be honest. I would much rather have the FZ6 than the Bandit...

Another question, what are the main differences between the original FZ6 and the FZ6 S2? I am after the S2 version mainly because of the styling differences anyway, but i assume there are some more changes other than just cosmetic.

Cheers ;)

Brakes, fairing, instruments, ECU mapping (better cat) are the biggest ones. The slot in the windscreen should help with the wind buffeting compared to the first gen.

The gearbox on the FZ6 is certainly an improvement over the one on my old XJ600. A lot of people say that Yamaha boxes can just be a bit clunky - compared to the XJ600, the FZ6 was like butter! Don't be worried by it, it's a characteristic of the bike rather than a problem with it.

By the way, spotting your location, don't be tempted to buy the blue 54 plate that Riders in Bristol may put back on their website soon - I bought it a couple of weeks ago and had to return it last weekend ;) It's a grey import, but otherwise was fine, just not a UK spec bike.

Yes there is a "clunk" when engaging 1st gear for the first time, but you get used to that.

Doing an oil change lessened the "clunk"

If I start the bike as soon as I get to it and then finish putting my gloves on take the disc lock off, open the gate and put the cover away the engine is a little warmer so the "clunk" is much less noticable.

Fazer vs Bandit . . . . . ummmm let me think (for a nano-second) Fazer
sounds like you've already made your choice, just go get one.

S or S2, well I've got the S and I'm not longing for the S2

Brakes, fairing, instruments, ECU mapping (better cat) are the biggest ones. The slot in the windscreen should help with the wind buffeting compared to the first gen.

What RJ2112 said for the differences, but you could also add: proper rev counter and slightly nicer swing arm

don't forget to post pictures when you get your FZ6

Yep, engaging 1st, the shift from 1st to 2nd is a little 'agricultural'.

Yes it annoys me, but it isn't really a crap gearbox or ever feels like its about to fall apart.

If your concerned about the box in the FZ but you still want a Yamaha 600, the FZ's little brother, the XJ6 does not suffer from the stated affliction.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, from the UK and i'm looking at buying a FZ6 Fazer for my next bike. I really do like the Fazer, and have been really impressed by all of the reviews I have seen for the bike, all apart from one little thing... The gearbox. I have basically heard that the gearboxes on these bikes are rubbish, but are they really that bad? I mean, are you able to live with it or is it something that you would consider buying a different bike for?

The other bike i am looking at is the Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, which really isn't a match for the FZ6 on looks, engine, brakes, build quality etc.

Basically i have got my heart set on the Fazer but i'm worried about the gearbox!

Thanks!!

Rob

just do a test ride on both of them, play a little around with them and then go buy the FZ6 :D

no seriusly, this is the only way

if you ask us on fz6-forum witch bike to buy you know the answere dont you?
the same is for the bandit-forum..

personaly i find my self some times trying to put on the 1st gear with "tricks" but this happens lets say with a 5% rate and its not that bad. most of the tricks are like let the clutch engage a little while putting a bit of presure on the gear and it "clicks" in, all this takes 1 sec

by all other means im glad i didn't buy an other bike! even after 4 years with a bit of maintence im still happy and im not gonna change bike

Hi

I've just arrived at this forum (so "Hi!") after Googling for gearbox whine. Seeing this post, I felt obliged to reply re Bandit vs FZ6. I changed from the Suzuki to the Yam late last November (2009). I bought a 57-plate Fazer with 4100 miles done and have since raised that to 13500. I've done a trip to Granada and back through France, loaded up with camping kit and more, and have done lots of long trips in the UK. It never misses a beat. Avon Storm 2 Ultras brought the grip up to a confidence-boosting level. It is a great day-by-day bike, not terribly exciting (and I turn elsewhere for that) but for reliability and practicality, tops! I got over 60mpg on my Spanish trip too.

But about the gearbox, mine is whining now, though still works fine, in fact better than ever. It too was very clunky when I first got it but now is getting close to as smooth as my Gixer. I used to have to stamp on it to get it down the ratios, but no more. I would never go back to the Bandit (that did, however, have a lush gearbox, though with a propensity to offer up regular false neutrals!). I have to say though that the Bandit was a better motorway eater (with a high screen) as it was so smooth, and had more midrange, but bounced around like a Space Hopper on my local (not-smooth) Dorset roads. It also had ABS as standard which the FZ6 I bought doesn't have. But the Yam takes rough roads in its stride, gives more feedback of the surfaces you're rolling over, and now with the Avon rather than Bridgestone BT020s is very comfy. I survived a 500-mile day in Spain and could still walk when I got off...

Also, if you, like me, do the miles, 6000-mile service intervals save a fortune on the Bandit's 3500 miles...

I hope this is helpful!

David

About the gearbox, something I try frequently is, as I'm pulling on my driveway, I go to Neutral and release the clutch as the bike is still moving forward. After this, when I go the 1st again, it is much more smoother.

Clonky!?!?!? I prefer to think of it a positive engagement thank you, Mine is pretty stinkin smooth now;)

Back