FZ6 handlebars

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Come to the conclusion it's the stock FZ6 bars that are making my wrist sore/hand numb, so I'm off to buy some new bars.

Can anybody recommend a good bike wrecker in Adelaide, that might have some FZ6R bars, or I'm looking at getting some Renthal 755 Road Medium bars new, so need a good local store.

I'd really like to see the bars, next to the existing bars before buying them, to see if they'll do what I want - so any recommendations appreciated.

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. Looking to buy Wednesday or Thursday. Thanks.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Go to any Yamaha dealer and sit on FZ6R and see how the angle feels. Also try FZ1.. both of those bars will work with stock bar ends, so it's the cheapest way to go without losing vibration absorption.
New bar is relatively cheap (about 40 at the dealer).

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
my hands/wrists go numb after an hours ride. With my winter gloves its hardly noticable but now that I broke out the summer gloves.....it sucks......

I was thinking it was the stock grips not the bar? I know being a metal bar it will transmit vibrations, but is it the bar or the grips that need a second look?

or is op talking about bar angle? if so my bad, ill shut up now :D

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
my hands/wrists go numb after an hours ride. With my winter gloves its hardly noticable but now that I broke out the summer gloves.....it sucks......

I was thinking it was the stock grips not the bar? I know being a metal bar it will transmit vibrations, but is it the bar or the grips that need a second look?

or is op talking about bar angle? if so my bad, ill shut up now :D

I had the same problem on my bike when I first got it, it was the angle that it had my wrist in. Im not to sure what they were thinking when they designed those bars, almost everybody has had the same problem. I tried different grips which helped a little, tried rotating the bars in different angles which only made it worse, bought a fz1 bar and problem solved!!! It did vibrate more than the stock bar but some good grips fixed that

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you sure it's a bar problem?... I bought cheap bar risers that solved my problem... I would go with a simple fix first...

Pretty sure - to alleviate the numbness, I rotate my little finger forward (as in straighten my wrist) and can feel the blood flow back into my hand.

As for simple fix, for $40 I can get a set of new 'bars, but risers are $100+

I'll see if they have a FZ6R or FZ1 in town, so I can try - but I'm pretty sure it's the swept back angle that's causing the issue for me and quite a few others.

I thought I could just learn to live with it, but alas - after 7000kms this year, so far - it's not getting any better.

Cheers,
Rick

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I have just purchased a set of Renthal 755-01 Road Medium 'bars from Great Britian, which cost me $AU77 including shipping.

Considering the cheapest risers I've found are $100+, I reckon I've got a good deal (if they work!)

I'm shocked at how cheap these bars are, actually, but the seller has good feedback, so I'm anxious to get them!

I'll take pics of the stock 'bars compared to the Road Medium 'bars, as that's one pic I couldn't find.

Hopefully they fit, and hopefully they'll do what I need them to!

We'll see in a couple of weeks, and I'll try to document it as much as practical. (also getting Oury grips and different bar ends)

Cheers,
Rick

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I have just purchased a set of Renthal 755-01 Road Medium 'bars from Great Britian, which cost me $AU77 including shipping.

Considering the cheapest risers I've found are $100+, I reckon I've got a good deal (if they work!)

I'm shocked at how cheap these bars are, actually, but the seller has good feedback, so I'm anxious to get them!

I'll take pics of the stock 'bars compared to the Road Medium 'bars, as that's one pic I couldn't find.

Hopefully they fit, and hopefully they'll do what I need them to!

We'll see in a couple of weeks, and I'll try to document it as much as practical. (also getting Oury grips and different bar ends)

Cheers,
Rick

Sorry to reply on such an old thread, but how did this renthal thing end up?

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you sure it's a bar problem?... I bought cheap bar risers that solved my problem... I would go with a simple fix first...

i personally just opted for the fz1 bar to see and feel the change myself over a long period of time i have come to the conclusion the fz1 bar is much more comfortable.

for 32$ new you really cant go wrong and you have the ability to resell, swap anytime you want add risers to the fz1 or anything your heart desires, but 32$ is not a steep cost to try something out.

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
i personally just opted for the fz1 bar to see and feel the change myself over a long period of time i have come to the conclusion the fz1 bar is much more comfortable.

for 32$ new you really cant go wrong and you have the ability to resell, swap anytime you want add risers to the fz1 or anything your heart desires, but 32$ is not a steep cost to try something out.

I seriously doubt they're that cheap here..
It's probably double. :confused:

Is any modification needed if I opt for Renthal Road Medium or Lows?
Someone suggested (on another forum) that there's drilling involved.
Can I fit stock bar end weights on the Renthals?

These seem to be the most common option.

I really dislike the FZ1 bars looks.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Had issues with fz1 bars that were on the bike when i got it. Was trying to ride like it was a supersport. put fz6 bars back on, sat correctly, let my legs grip the tank and do the work, and poof.... Wrist pain gone. If you lean on your wrists, you're doing it wrong.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I seriously doubt they're that cheap here..
It's probably double. :confused:

Is any modification needed if I opt for Renthal Road Medium or Lows?
Someone suggested (on another forum) that there's drilling involved.
Can I fit stock bar end weights on the Renthals?

These seem to be the most common option.

I really dislike the FZ1 bars looks.

i bought a set of bars from bikebandit for 32$ and shipping so i think they are that cheap id look it up before assuming...

oh im sorry 2009 FZ6 (BLACK METALLIC X) - FZS6YB Yamaha Motorcycle STEERING HANDLE CABLE Diagram and Parts

1 2D1-26111-01-00
HANDLEBAR
$41.41 $30.63 1

31 $ my bad i was wrong 1 whole dollar less definitely worth trying for 30$ especially if it will make you comfortable

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think Rick mentioned it, but everyone look at the lever position and what that does to your wrist. If you have a long torso you're need to rotate the levers down so as to create a straight line from your shoulders through your wrists. The OEM position has my wrists bent upwards to pull the levers = numbness.

Get in the saddle in position and check that angle. Adjust as needed.

D

Dave.TX

I had the Renthal Road Medium and they were comfy. Also tried the Rizoma bars and they were nice too (with HVMP bar ends). The Rizoma's were red anodized and on my black bike looked really good.

Reaction score
Visit site
After having FZ1 bars for the last couple years, I picked up a used FZ6R bar to see how it feels.
It's been said a few times already - pullback is very close to FZ1, but the rise is similar to stock bars,
but one thing I haven't seen mentioned is how different the angle at the tips is between the two.
The FZ1 bars angle upward, while the FZ6R is downward. I'll need more time to get used to this.