FZ6 is a beast!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No on the FZ6 straight line WOT is pretty much impossible to have an issue with. On bikes with more power and torque it's different. I tested out a friend's new FZ-09 and had the front wheel come off the ground in 2nd when I pegged the throttle even with leaning forward. I'm not much heavier than you.

Light weight guys like us on a 98 hp bike are equal in straight line speed to guys on 130 hp bikes who weight 180-210.
+1 and most inline 4s I'd imagine due to their power coming in so late. The FZ-09's torquey triple obviously requires different treatment haha. I see what you mean though and parrrtially retract my statement but still believe straight line flooring of a bike takes little skill in comparison, not counting the first maybe three gears of course.
I didn't say that. I said a 98 hp FZ6 could keep up with a 130 hp bike (which is an R6 or GSX-R 600) if the rider of the supersport 600 had 80-100 lbs of body weight on the FZ6 rider. A 1000cc Supersport makes more like 150-170 hp and there is no contest regardless of rider size.
+1, and I still say that our number is actually quoted from the wheel and their's from the crank. I seem to remember seeing a dyno of a stock R6 vs a stock FZ6 and they were stupidly close.

It still wouldn't, a newer 600cc SS would have a better power to weight ratio even with a heavy rider :p. Only reason I say this is because I did the math since I'm a nerd lmao :D
Unless the two are closely similar from the actual power at the wheel
I'm not looking to get I a fight, I'm just trying to present relevant information.

Parasitic loss due to the drive train is pretty much a constant percentage, not a constant value. So when you quote horsepower numbers from the crank, it's not as realistic as you think. With drive train loss around 13% or so on average, that is taking a bigger amount from a 120hp motor than a 98hp motor. So sure, they make more power at the crank (and also at the wheel), but it's not as big of a difference as you mentioned. I know you've got all these numbers worked out and I believe you, but gear ratios and rider ability are real world variables that horsepower and weight don't take into account.

Let me make my stance as clear as possible: Will a 600 SS have a higher top speed? Absolutely. Will it race faster at a track? Absolutely, given equal riders. But is it possible that a bad rider (slow shifts, heavy weight) could be beaten to, say 100mph, by am FZ6? It's certainly possible. That's all I'm trying to say.
If I could only dig up that dyno comparison between the R6 and FZ6 of similar year range, it showed VERY small differences. Definitely to the point where any small change in weight or skill would make one or the other a winner. (in a straight line, I won't argue suspension differences and different setups)

And really shouldn't be all that hard to do, but again versing power vs power is silly lol.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Absolutely! It's the rider, not the bike :rockon: It's so damn comfortable. I even have highway pegs on mine lol

However, sometimes I asked for more power. I'm really interested in Gixer 750 though, it's the best between 1000CC and 600CC. I test rode a Gixxer1000 the other day, and it has excessive power for the street.

There is no such thing as "excessive power" for the street or track. :D

This space intentionally left blank.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
iviyth0s; said:
+1, and I still say that our number is actually quoted from the wheel and their's from the crank. I seem to remember seeing a dyno of a stock R6 vs a stock FZ6 and they were

The 98hp number for the FZ6 is at the crank. Actual dyno runs show the whp to be about 90hp.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Supersports like the R6 are actually not much lighter than the FZ6 and the R6 has a smaller windscreen meaning that a 200 lb + rider will present an even larger surface area for wind resistance at speed, which gives a small moto-gp sized rider on an FZ6 another advantage other than rider weight.

The 2007 FZ6 weighs only about 55 lbs heavier than a 2007 R6, so a 140 lb rider on the FZ6 would still have an overall bike weight that is less than the 200 lb rider on the R6.

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
The 98hp number for the FZ6 is at the crank. Actual dyno runs show the whp to be about 90hp.

Yeah I agreed. I pulled mine, got 88hp at the rear wheel. Some people just like the NUMBER though. They don't even use them. FZ6 is a great all around street bike. Riding litter bike on the street is prone to breaking the laws. I'd do some stupid things too if I owned one. But nonetheless we have the same passion. Just don't hurt others.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Our bike may be quick but there is literally no way you were keeping up with an R1. Maybe if he was just cruising? Lol. If this was some kind of chase or race, that R1 definitely wasn't trying or riding hard, sorry to burst your bubble haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course in a straight line drag race a R1 would walk off and leave a fz6 but you would be surprised in the twisties, it comes down more to the rider vs the bike. A few years back when I had my KLR650 (a single cylinder, overweight, horribly under powered enduro if you didn't know) I actually chased down a pair of R1s running down my favorite mountain and ended up leaving them far far behind, and they were trying to keep up buy they just didn't have the ability to do so.

And as far as the fz6 being able to keep up with a 600SS bike yes that's possible too, I've seen it done and done it myself many times. In a drag race aerodynamics don't have much effect because your not reaching speeds where drag has that much effect until your almost about to cross the line. As far as weight goes a 2006 R6 is about 430lbs a 2006 fz6 is about 455lbs so yea rider weight has a ton to do with it, but even more so it comes down to to rider skill again. You take a modded fz6 with the right gearing with a experienced rider vs a new rider on a 600ss my money is on the fz6 everyday. I've done it and seen it done so I know its possible.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Of course in a straight line drag race a R1 would walk off and leave a fz6 but you would be surprised in the twisties, it comes down more to the rider vs the bike. A few years back when I had my KLR650 (a single cylinder, overweight, horribly under powered enduro if you didn't know) I actually chased down a pair of R1s running down my favorite mountain and ended up leaving them far far behind, and they were trying to keep up buy they just didn't have the ability to do so.

How the motor makes power and the type of turns you're in makes a big difference. That 650 single makes some torque so if you're in those tight turns you can horse that KLR out of the turns quickly. Add a good rider and....? :D

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
How the motor makes power and the type of turns you're in makes a big difference. That 650 single makes some torque so if you're in those tight turns you can horse that KLR out of the turns quickly. Add a good rider and....? :D
Oh yeah no doubt Lol that particular mountain pass is about 12miles long full of everything from banked high speed sweepers to blind hairpins with the longest straight being maybe 100-150yds long. I was running downhill and know that road like the back of my hand so I definitely had the advantage. That was the hardest I ever pushed the KLR when I had it and it impressed me. I had that sucker so low I was having to hike my leg up to keep it from becoming hamburger lol

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Where are you guys getting these numbers from? A 2009 R6 makes about 100 hp stock and a 2009 FZ6 makes about 90 hp stock.

The FZ6 however makes noticeably better torque so it might be easier to launch.

That being said the R6 is also some 30 pounds lighter than the FZ6.

430/100 = 4.3
450/90 = 5

430+226/100 = 6.56
450+140/90 = 6.56

For the two bikes to have an equal power to weight ratio, the FZ6 rider would have to be 140 lbs while the R6 rider would have to be 226 lbs.

However, it's far too close to really make a difference for average riders.

Another thing to note in the 600cc vs 1000cc debate. In most street circumstances the 1000cc isn't noticeably faster, sure it's faster but the gap in acceleration below 100 MPH is far smaller than that of the 300cc vs 600cc sportbike.

I'v never had a single instance while riding behind a liter bike where more HP would have helped me to keep up, that's not to say I wouldn't want to own a liter bike. It's always nice to have some torque, but it's not necessary.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Where are you guys getting these numbers from? A 2009 R6 makes about 100 hp stock and a 2009 FZ6 makes about 90 hp stock. .

Not sure where your getting your numbers from but at the crank a 2009 fz6 makes about 97hp and a 2009 R6 makes about 131hp at the crank

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure where your getting your numbers from but at the crank a 2009 fz6 makes about 97hp and a 2009 R6 makes about 131hp at the crank

Since when does a crank number matter?

2009_Supersport_Shootout_Dyno_Chart_R6-08-09_2_.jpg

146_0606_01_z+fun_factor_preview+horsepower_dyno.jpg

You can make a million horsepower at the crank, but if you can't put it to the road it's not going to make you any faster.

I'v NEVER ever seen a stock 600cc put down 130 whp. In reality most supersports are right around 100 whp and the fz6 is at 90 whp. That's only a 10hp difference.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
i weigh 220lbs and have the faster red so no matter what its faster

plus heavier things roll faster down hill so it just goes!!

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Since when does a crank number matter?

2009_Supersport_Shootout_Dyno_Chart_R6-08-09_2_.jpg

146_0606_01_z+fun_factor_preview+horsepower_dyno.jpg

You can make a million horsepower at the crank, but if you can't put it to the road it's not going to make you any faster.

I'v NEVER ever seen a stock 600cc put down 130 whp. In reality most supersports are right around 100 whp and the fz6 is at 90 whp. That's only a 10hp difference.

So what you are saying is the FZ6 only loses 8hp from crank to tire, but the R6 loses 30? IOW, the FZ6 loses 9% and the R6 loses 25%. That is BS. They have the same driveline.

Last edited:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
So what you are saying is the FZ6 only loses 8hp from crank to tire, but the R6 loses 30? That is BS. They have the same driveline.

No, what I'm saying is one of those crank numbers is inaccurate.

The drive line loss doesn't seem correct.

This is why I always go by wheel numbers, crank numbers are utter BS.

Either the FZ6 makes far more than 97 HP at the crank or the R6 makes far less than 130 HP at the crank. There's absolutely no way the R6 is losing 30 HP but the FZ6 is only down 7.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
No, what I'm saying is one of those crank numbers is inaccurate.

The drive line loss doesn't seem correct.

This is why I always go by wheel numbers, crank numbers are utter BS.

Either the FZ6 makes far more than 97 HP at the crank or the R6 makes far less than 130 HP at the crank. There's absolutely no way the R6 is losing 30 HP but the FZ6 is only down 7.

Why does one have to be incorrect? Crank numbers are fine, as long as you compare apples to apples.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know what your trying to get at... none of the 600CC supersports make anywhere near 120 WHP....

RealityBikesDynoHP.jpg

63441512560640952911supersport_hp.jpg

Why does one have to be incorrect? Crank numbers are fine, as long as you compare apples to apples.

I'm comparing apples to apples.... I don't understand how me using 90 whp vs 100 whp isn't apples to apples. What do you want me to use the FZ6 whp vs the R6 crank hp?

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I think what he meant is that the R6 would put down 130*.91=118ish if the R6 actually made 130hp at the crank. The reason he doesn't trust crank numbers is because all of the motorcycle companies lie about how much power their bikes make so they can say things like "The 2015 [insert model here] is the most powerful 600 bike ever!" They can say it all they want, but an inertia dyno won't lie.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Dyno results can be misleading if done improperly. There should be a minimum of three runs for each bike being compared, and all done on the same day.

He is pulling numbers from one comparison involving an FZ6 and some other non SS 600 bikes, an then another comparo involving an R6 and other SS 600cc bikes. This is disingenuous, to say the least.