Fz6 slight oil leak

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed that there is a very small oil leak on the bike the other day. Haven't noticed any drops on the floor, but just running on the metal. I cleaned up the entire bottom of the bike and the only spot I noticed oil when wiping was at the lower hose at the metal connector where the two pipes end up at the same spot.

Just to confirm that it is in fact oil in the lower smaller hose? Or is it radiator hose with coolanf and the leak maybe somewhere else?

What is the part number for this hose?

IMG_20151003_233023.jpgIMG_20151003_233046.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you lubed the clutch cable (especially heavily) lately?

If you have, lube works its way down from the low part of the cable (just above the engine) and leak in that general area.

Checking and snugging down ALL coolant hose clamps won't hurt. They do tend to loosen over time with many heat cycles.

If not, de grease that entire area and keep an eye on it.

BTW, from the shifter downward, farther back looks like its full of blown back oil. When was the last time that was cleaned??

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you lubed the clutch cable (especially heavily) lately?

If you have, lube works its way down from the low part of the cable (just above the engine) and leak in that general area.

Checking and snugging down ALL coolant hose clamps won't hurt. They do tend to loosen over time with many heat cycles.

If not, de grease that entire area and keep an eye on it.

BTW, from the shifter downward, farther back looks like its full of blown back oil. When was the last time that was cleaned??

Clutch cables hasn't been lubed recently.
I degreased the entire area around the brake pedal.

The blow back oil spot is from when my oil cap came lose a few months ago. Figured oil was good for the metal stand, left it there to function as grease, but it ended up picking up dirt.

Last edited:

subaron

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had the exact same leak. I think the hose on the top is coolant, and the hose on the bottom is an oil line. After a while, the hoses get bloated up. Check out the link below. I just took my bike to the dealership and they replaced the small section of the hose. Ironically, it's started leaking again!

http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...ng-oil-need-new-clamp.html?highlight=OIL+LEAK

Maybe I will try replacing the hose as it has never been changed. Bike is a 2005.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would de-grease it, then keep a CLOSE eye on it and go from there...

The water pump (as noted above can leak oil), the clutch cable (ruled out) is about the only things there...