FZ6 v FZ1

I am in the fortunate position of being able to have what I want, hence the Yamaha advertising in Australia for the FZ6S summarises me:

I also own a 2009 43' Beneteau Oceanis monohull. Own, not paying it off or using it as a tax deductible expense. Like my bike, it keeps me sane and gives me a reason to look forward to my recreation, which is travelling.

Okay, you made me search on what a Beneteau Oceanis monoholl is. Wow! That is one serious sailboat! Sweet!

Did you ever hear the boat definition we use here in the USA? "A hole in the water into which one pours money." :)

As for the FZ1 FZ6 comparo, when I bought my FZ6, I had intentions of still doing track days occasionally, so I wanted another 600. Well, I did a grand total of one track day on the FZ6.... I test drove a FZ1 when I bought my 2004 FZ6, but it was the old style and felt heavy and bulky. If the new style FZ1 was out, I probably would have bought the FZ1.

I do love my FZ6 though, as it's such a good all around bike. It looks somewhat sporty (well, without my big Givi on back...) and is decently comfy.

Owned a 2003 FZ1, 2005 FZ6 and just bought a new 2009 FZ6. Does that answer all questions. I do prefer the 1st gen FZ1 over the newer one, which only has the added benefit of FI in my opinion. (yeah i know about the aluminum frame) The Older FZ1 was as comfortable as any of the FZ6s, looks better than current FZ1s and the weight was not much of an issue. Like others I still prefer the FZ6 for cost reasons, looks, and fuel consumption. I do miss my '03 FZ1.

I drove both the 2005 FZ6 and then the 2008 FZ6. I traded up for the FZ1 for the following reasons:

1. It took SOOOO long to get through a tank of fuel on the FZ6. I couldn't stand riding that many miles without stopping. My savings account was still growing and getting too fat with the lack of fuel expense.

2. I *NEEDED* more POWER! :squid: The 6 just couldn't haul my fat arse around fast enough and I am simply too darned American and lazy with my desk job to do the free FZ6 HP increase (lose 30 lbs) so I bought MORE HP.

3. Adjustable suspension - FZ6 doesn't have it, FZ1 does! One day, I'll actually adjust it too!

4. Looks! The FZ6 has such a FAT head on the front! I like the smaller fairing on the FZ1... this allows a TON more air to hit my chest and really has strengthened my neck (trying to hold my bobble-head still at socially spirited speeds).

5. Akshay has one!

6. I can't stand to own a bike outright and simply HAD to have payments again!

7. It was Cobalt Blue, like my '08 FZ6. I only wanted the FZ1 bars but they told me the whole damned bike had to go with it. Stupid me, eh?

8. I want to kill myself FASTER! (OF course, I went the wrong way on engine size since a damned Ninja 250 can haul arse through the corners a LOT faster than my heavy beast of burden)

9. I wanted to change my forum name to hide my past mistakes! It is still a secret as to whom I *USED* to be! :rolleyes:

10. I wanted to say :BLAA: & :Flip: & :p to all of you who don't have an FZ1.

:justkidding: I hope you all take this for the joke that it is! :D

:spank: FZ1inNH and :ban: :rof:

I liked the look of the fz6 better, and it was also my first sport\touring bike and I was a little intimidated with the "1000" idea....I have a friend who has an fz-1 and other than the top speed of the fz1 my fz6 can pretty much do everything else just as good

I love my 6, my other half has the FZ1. on the straights in can burn me big time with power ( slightly annoying I might add ) but last year on big ride out around Scotland on the twisties it stayed up there with the big boys no problem at all.

The 6 lighter, nimble and far prettier on the eye!!

Kaz

i chose the fz6 over fz1 cos:

+machine price is cheaper
+better fuel efficiency (its U$2.45/LITRE thereabouts here)
+insurance is cheaper
+road tax is cheaper
+undertail exhaust
+i assume the fz1 engine runs hotter. its about 30 deg celsius here all year round.

I never considered the FZ1. It is ugly and overpriced. (IMHO)
I have ridden an FZ1 (friend's bike) and found it to not be nearly as comfortable as my FZ6. I will admit that the FZ1 is a fabulous machine, but not for me.
When I bought mine the only other bike considered was the Bandit 1250. Price, insurance, and lower promotional interest rate from Yamaha won out. I have no complaints.

Back