ficklepickle

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,
I recently acquired a 2007 Yamaha Fazer FZ6 S2 with 89,000km/ 55600miles on it but it had unknown service history as I bought it from a bike shop. It is my first time owning a Fazer, coming from a Triumph Street Triple R. It seemed like a legitimate deal as the outlook was excellent and the engine idled smoothly. After I got it, I rode it around the block and realised the forks trembled whenever I went over a bump so I had a mechanic check it and the cone bearing was found to be damaged and the left fork tube was bent before (maybe in an accident) and a workshop just straightened it out. I had all those parts replaced and it cost me quite a bit of money.

I realised that the FZ6S has really soft forks and that they also have a clicking sensation at the end of the stroke, is this normal?

Next I realise the cam chain was rattling and the bike seems lethargic above 6000rpm (the rev needle takes a while to climb) and also the vibrations were tremendous. Could this lethargy be due to the need for Valve Clearance (assuming the previous owner did not do it)?

Cheers for all the advice!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The dampening on the oem forks are nil. The least you can do is fresh oil and linear rate springs. Next step is emulators. But several of us just replace the fork with R6 parts which have linear springs and are fully adjustable.

Racetech and others make springs. Oils can vary but start with 7.5 to 10wt.

Define sluggish.... Most are rev happy but not a torque machine like the Triple.
As for vibes: yes a valve lash adjustment can help if some are out of spec. I have also found that the high tension wire from the coil to cap can induce some harmonic vibrations. The cap threads onto the wire; remove cap from head, unscrew the cap from each wire, trim off a small amount and thread it back together. When all is well the wire snugs up tight and the cap won't spin freely on the wire. In most cases the is no driveability complaints, burned wires, or anything like that, just an annoying vibration!

I have thread on it in the tech section. It was sticky so it should be at the top. Take a look. A cure for vibrations, spark plug caps...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While you're there, be sure to throw some new plugs in it too. CR9E gaped no more than 0.028".

And i wouldn't hesitate to run Some Techron black bottle fuel cleaner or Seafoam through it too.
Also, if it really doesn't pull well at all, lift the tank and inspect the air filter. Did the shop turn and burn or did they give this bike a once over?

Lastly, make sure thr vibes are not chain induced. i.e. alignment, lube, and proper slack. It needs 2" of free play. It seems like a lot, but its normal.

Vibration! A cure for bad vibrations, Spark Plug Caps!!

Oppsee..... Not in the states. Convert to metric and try to find Seafoam or some other fuel cleaner!
@ficklepickle

Last edited:

ficklepickle

Reaction score
Visit site
Its like the bike feels kinda jerky when accelerating past 6000rpm. And is it normal if I keep the throttle opened at a certain position but the rpm doesn't maintain at the same level?
Thanks for all the advice so far! I appreciate it :)

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
Its like the bike feels kinda jerky when accelerating past 6000rpm. And is it normal if I keep the throttle opened at a certain position but the rpm doesn't maintain at the same level?
Thanks for all the advice so far! I appreciate it :)

If pipes are stock, I recommend to buy a sport exhaust and adding some co values from dashboard. mine is waking at 5k rpm now :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While the plugs are out do a COMPRESSION TEST and better yet a LEAK-DOWN TEST to determine the health of the engine...You'll need an air compressor besides the tool..

This is the kit I use and am very happy with its performance; Cylinder Leakage Tester Kit | OTC Tools Using this tool will quickly let you know if there's any internal issues and where they are. Do a search on the use of tool, very, very handy to have...

And no, the forks SHOULD NOT click at all...

If you don't want to upgrade the forks, there's plenty of used forks F/S on this forum for cheap.. If a leg was bent, I'd replace it.

Last edited:

ficklepickle

Reaction score
Visit site
Lastly, I just wanna ask if you hold the throttle open at about 1/4 way, should the revs be stable or will they fluctuate a little?