FZ8 fork mod

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
The 2013 FZ8 will come with fully adjustable forks and a stiffer spring. Does anyone know if it's possible to do a FZ8 to FZ6 fork swap?

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
or you could get adjustable r6 forks and since the r6 has been out longer it will more than likely be cheaper. but there is a possibility that this could be a less "involved" mod. it will be interesting to see it if works, or how easily it can be done.

joespara

Reaction score
Visit site
:spank: I am a bigger guy just shy of three hundred pounds and 6'3" i ride my fz6 as a daily rider i love my bike but i upgraded the front suspension seems to be awesome for handling and response and being a big guy i love the strength of the new forks. I changed the entire front end to an r6s forks wheel brake rotors and calipers it is now an even better corner killer i am looking to put a cbr1000rr rear suspension under mine if any one is in the central Florida area and needs any work done let me know i love to do custom work on bikes i also build cafe racers and street trackers

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And there's no reason to go with FZ8 setup, since FZ1 is fully adjustable and has been out since 06, so again a cheaper option.

Install of FZ8/FZ1 should be about the same.

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
ok, I just wasnt sure if the FZ1 fork was a possibility. Every time I read about a conversion, an older R6 fork was used.

Most conversions I read about also involve some sort of fabrication. Is there a year of R6 or R6s fork that's a straight up swap?

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
R6S forks are a straight up swap. You only need to add a little more to the wheel spacers, and a spacer on the mounts for the brake calipers. In the past, it was not only to get the adjustable suspension, but to also get the brakes from the R6S. Now, the newer model FZ6s come with those brakes.

Your front suspension options are...

1. Upgrade the stock fork with springs, fork oil, and emulators.
2. Upgrade the stock forks with the Matris kit CarpiMoto - Matris Fork Cartridge Kit for Yamaha FZ6/FZ6 S2/Fazer 04- rider weight Kgs 70-85 (154-187 lbs)
3. Swap out the forks for the R6S forks, and drop in springs for your weight.
4. Do some fabricating of the FZ1/FZ8 triples, or other bike you want from, to fit the FZ6 frame, and slap on their USD forks.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I love the R6 forks! Night and day improvement! They come with 0.88kg/m spring rates. I'm roughly 220lbs w/gear. To my surprise the OEM 0.88 works very well and I'm picky about my setup. I'd suspect you'll need to replace them with higher rates for >280lbs. Also these are linear rate springs vs the FZ progressive.

IMO too many here try to make up for the lack of damping by jacking up the spring rates. The stock spring starts at 0.75 IIRC, but because it lacks effective damping control for both compression and rebound too many make BIG jumps for spring rate increase and don't address the original problem of minimal control.

I guess this post is to advocate fork upgrades R6 or better and/or install emulators, cartridge kits as noted above when those forks are opened it. It literally makes the bike a joy to ride and safer too!

Bottom line; don't go overkill with the spring rates when its control of compression and rebound that need the most help!

Last edited:

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love the R6 forks! Night and day improvement! They come with 0.88kg/m spring rates. I'm roughly 220lbs w/gear. To my surprise the OEM 0.88 works very well and I'm picky about my setup. I'd suspect you'll need to replace them with higher rates for >280lbs. Also these are linear rate springs vs the FZ progressive.

IMO too many here try to make up for the lack of damping by jacking up the spring rates. The stock spring starts at 0.75 IIRC, but because it lacks effective damping control for both compression and rebound too many make BIG jumps for spring rate increase and don't address the original problem of minimal control.

I guess this post is to advocate fork upgrades R6 or better and/or install emulators, cartridge kits as noted above when those forks are opened it. It literally makes the bike a joy to ride and safer too!

Bottom line; don't go overkill with the spring rates when its control of compression and rebound that need the most help!

Agreed! The 15wt oil makes a huge difference to the dampening on these bikes. The racetech springs make the ride even nicer. There is also another drop in part that requires no fork oil wt change and helps the dampening. Its around $150ish though? maybe $100? can't remember the manufacturer for the life of me though...

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I have two bikes, and the FZ is a toy for me. :BLAA: No track days just weekend fun, is the fork upgrade worth the $300 to $500. Is it night and day between the ride? :confused:

lrojasma

Reaction score
Visit site
Just for the record... The FZ8 forks dont work with the stock wheel.

The FZ8 spacer is smaller, so smalled bearings, spacers and seals.