Gas Cap

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
During my last couple of fill ups I've noticed water puddled around the neck of the gas tank filler opening. Enough that if I'm not careful it spills into the tank. No isssues yet, but I suspect it will lead to a problem before long. I've been adding a little 'dry gas' to the petro to help. I see there's a couple of drain holes in the vicinity. I haven't started taking things apart yet, but will have to eventually. So, I was just wondering if anyone has dug into the top of the tank enough to know where the drains go (are there hoses?) and where the best place might be to blow the drains out. The first time I noticed was after I had washed the bike and I may have been a little careless with the hose and the gas cap. Today I noticed the water after I'd been riding in the rain for a few days. Any input\suggestions are appreciated - thanks!

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
The hose(s) should come out at the bottom, behind the transmission.

No appreciable amount of water should pool around the opening. It should drain out quickly.

This space intentionally left blank.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Do the hoses run up to the cap area or is there a tube that runs to the bottom of the tank where they attach? I've seen both methods used on other tanks. Can I just blow air down thru from the top?

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Do the hoses run up to the cap area or is there a tube that runs to the bottom of the tank where they attach? I've seen both methods used on other tanks. Can I just blow air down thru from the top?

The tubes run through the interior of the interior of the tank, and the hose idea on the metal tube as it exits at the bottom of the tank.

It would be best to detach the rubber hose. If the blockage is in the tank portion, you do not want to try and blow it al the way through the rubber hose.

This space intentionally left blank.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Got it, thanks!

Has anyone else had an issue with a blocked drain? On an SV I had the tube ran through the tank and was broken inside the tank which allowed the water to drain right into the fuel. From what I've heard, that is a common failure on the SV (gen 1).

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might just have a kinked drain hose. One of our members had that drain line rust and loose integrity. Since that metal tubing passes through the interior of the tank gas fumes could be detected as well as gas expanding out at the fuel cap.

Check to see that the rubber hose exiting the tank is not crimped. Then using a rubber tipped brake line blow gun blow air to clear any debris that might be in the that drain line.:)