gas tank leak

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't ask what I was thinking but I thought it was a good idea mod my gas tank and I put a hole in it. Some how the rubber hammer did this. I am looking for easy fixes that could be done.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I found that JB Weld works for gas tanks, I wasn't sure if it would work or not.
I don't have a pic of it, it's to dark out now but the hole had a flap to it so it was kinda big (1/4 inch) but with the flap closed it's just a 1/4 inch tare. I happened to have some JB Weld in the Garage.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
wtf were you trying to do?

I'll get some pic's when it is finished and looks better. :spank:

I was trying to change my handle bars to a "cafe racer" style but the hit the tank so I was thinking I'd mod the tank to allow for the bars to have full motion. The tank was already dented and scratched, so I was thinking it's not going to help the value of the bike anyway so why not try something different.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
what's everyone's opinion on JB Weld? I have one guy who's a welder saying it's junk and don't use it. The only fix is to weld it.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Any sort of sealant you apply is only going to be as good as the prep work before using it. If you drained the tank, and flushed the inside and outside with something to remove ALL the gasoline from the metal before you JB'd it, it might last for quite a while before leaking.

Maybe not. Depends on if JB weld holds up to gasoline, even the new alcohol enhanced stuff......

I'd personally consider it a good time to start looking for a replacement tank.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
what's everyone's opinion on JB Weld? I have one guy who's a welder saying it's junk and don't use it. The only fix is to weld it.

+1 on it being junk its ok for some things but not for a gas tank. It might work but I wouldnt trust it I would prep the tank and weld it if you dont have a welder prep it and take to a welder. Preping a gas tank will save you money they prolly will do some prep themselves too to be safe.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll get some pic's when it is finished and looks better. :spank:

I was trying to change my handle bars to a "cafe racer" style but the hit the tank so I was thinking I'd mod the tank to allow for the bars to have full motion. The tank was already dented and scratched, so I was thinking it's not going to help the value of the bike anyway so why not try something different.

So in other words you tried to enlarge the dent in your tank and busted a hole in it????

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on it being junk its ok for some things but not for a gas tank. It might work but I wouldnt trust it I would prep the tank and weld it if you dont have a welder prep it and take to a welder. Preping a gas tank will save you money they prolly will do some prep themselves too to be safe.

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

The JB Weld held for about 450 miles, then it quit working. :( I'm starting to think the best way to fix it would be to take it to a welder and let them fix it, maybe I can talk them into making it look better too. I just have to find on in the Saint Louis area now.

I was watching it the on my trip (total 500 miles aprox.) The last place I filled up it started leaking again, a slow leak, any extra JB Weld I put on just smeared and made more of a mess. I managed to get the gas down to where it's not leaking again, and I'm at my destination so I can pull the tank, drain it and get it to someone who can fix it for me.

The other idea is to just scrap the idea and replace the tank. I kinda like how it looks, or what it could look like if I got it to be smooth and not look like someone took a hammer to it. :spank:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
So in other words you tried to enlarge the dent in your tank and busted a hole in it????

Well I figured it was damaged so what's the harm or trying to make it functional too. I just didn't have a plan on what I was doing and that made it harder to work with. I figured Stunters bash in their tanks to make it flat I just added two pockets on the side for the handle bars. I guess I watch to much Chopper Build Off shows. They make it look so easy.

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The JB Weld held for about 450 miles, then it quit working. :( I'm starting to think the best way to fix it would be to take it to a welder and let them fix it, maybe I can talk them into making it look better too. I just have to find on in the Saint Louis area now.

I was watching it the on my trip (total 500 miles aprox.) The last place I filled up it started leaking again, a slow leak, any extra JB Weld I put on just smeared and made more of a mess. I managed to get the gas down to where it's not leaking again, and I'm at my destination so I can pull the tank, drain it and get it to someone who can fix it for me.

The other idea is to just scrap the idea and replace the tank. I kinda like how it looks, or what it could look like if I got it to be smooth and not look like someone took a hammer to it. :spank:

I think you have a few options here:

1:I think the cheapest solution would be to buy a damaged tank off of eBay. There are a fair number available with prices starting under $100.

2: Repair the existing tank. I would suspect that this will not be an inexpensive solution by the time things are said and done. The weld repair is tricky: $$. Making it pretty: $$$$. And, Repainting: $.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not that I'm advising this but - fiber glass resin comes in fuel proof formulas for making a complete gas tank from Fiberglass.

Like RJ said, prep is everything. Any contamination or lack of cure time will compromise the products ability to work if it even bonds to steel...

Its very likely you need some metal etching primer to help the adhesion process. Even then, I'd opt for welding or replacement.

A leak in the garage could burn all you're sh|t up. Then insurance finds the owner at fault for bubble-gumming a fuel tank back together and your life will suck!

Bottom line: Buy a replacement tank!

envy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
could not find better place to ask.
this morning I noticed strong fuel smell in garage, though that somebody did smth wrong with gasoline, but eventually in evening I understood that thats my fizzer.
Took the tank of and there it was, looks like hose going from pump to fuel rail is leaking. it is not broken, but perhaps the connection/ o-ring/ whatever failed. Has anybody experienced this? is there any fix or a have to change, most probably expensive, fuel hose?
what is more, I am afraid to ride as it drips on cables and can cause fire :eek:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
this morning I noticed strong fuel smell in garage, though that somebody did smth wrong with gasoline, but eventually in evening I understood that thats my fizzer.
Took the tank of and there it was, looks like hose going from pump to fuel rail is leaking. it is not broken, but perhaps the connection/ o-ring/ whatever failed. Has anybody experienced this? is there any fix or a have to change, most probably expensive, fuel hose?
what is more, I am afraid to ride as it drips on cables and can cause fire :eek:

Not not operate the bike with a fuel leak!:eek:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't ask what I was thinking but I thought it was a good idea mod my gas tank and I put a hole in it. Some how the rubber hammer did this. I am looking for easy fixes that could be done.

If you can't swing getting another tank, the best way to repair it is to braze it.

Of course the tank has to be absolutly clear of fumes and the area sanded down to bare steel to work. It'd be an easy weld with the tank off the bike, would look like heck when done but you could bondo the tank, repair, prime, etc..

That fix WOULD NOT LEAK if done correctly and to actually braze it would take 10 minutes...

envy

Reaction score
Visit site
thats for sure! how to fix it? anybody has experienced that? :Flash:

I beleive leak is from hose 21, and in the place where it connects to fuel pump.

link if pic does not work: http://partstream.arinet.com/Image?...riv=http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/home.aspx

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

You don't mention the year bike (missed the year) but I believe the following would apply to yours. Per a parts fisch for an 07, the o-ring or what ever seals the fuel line is not available separatly. The entire fuel line is under $50.00, US. If someones messed with the tank, there is a funky retainer clip that holds the line on. If it was installed correctly/cracked it could be your problem not holding the line fully on...

There is a large O-ring that seals the fuel pump to the tank but you didn't mention any leakage there. And yes, it is unusual for that line to leak where your having a problem.. Make sure the retainer is properly installed and is actually there (that part is available separately).

And as Cliff mentioned, DO NOT RIDE THAT BIKE UNTIL ITS REPAIRED, in fact if its currently leaking, siphon out as much fuel as you can and get the tank outside.....

2007 Yamaha FZ6 FZS6W Parts, 2007 Yamaha FZ6 FZS6W OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com Its listed under OEM parts, fuel system...

PLEASE POST YOUR FINDINGS/FIX...

Last edited:

envy

Reaction score
Visit site
Scott, thanks for reply. Bike is european 2008 FZ6 S2 naked, but I think they are all the same in regards to tank.

nobody has ever messed up with it, I remember there was some few drops of fuel on frame last week, so it means the leak is becoming stronger. I removed the tank today and the hose and it is my best guess where the leak comes from, I dont think its big o-ring.

that thing makes me crazy its just few weaks I can ride as winter is comming and this occurs :(

I will keep you guys posted on fixes! :thumbup:

edit: if the retainer is part number 22 (sorry not native english) then there was no retainer, however hose it self has clamp built in...

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott, thanks for reply. Bike is european 2008 FZ6 S2 naked, but I think they are all the same in regards to tank.

nobody has ever messed up with it, I remember there was some few drops of fuel on frame last week, so it means the leak is becoming stronger. I removed the tank today and the hose and it is my best guess where the leak comes from, I dont think its big o-ring.

that thing makes me crazy its just few weaks I can ride as winter is comming and this occurs :(

I will keep you guys posted on fixes! :thumbup:

edit: if the retainer is part number 22 (sorry not native english) then there was no retainer, however hose it self has clamp built in...

The parts fisch I have may be different from yours but the fuel line as I re-call, goes on, then the retainer snaps over it and holds it on... There may an o-ring inside the line you could swap out but it better be safe with fuel and be exact.

IMHO, spring for the $50.00 fuel line if the retainer is in place and not broken... $50.00 is not worth burning your bike up nor your life, double check that retainer... :thumbup: