General Bike cleaning

KDN

Reaction score
Visit site
New to riding this year (142 km to be exact)....and I have a cleaning question.

It is snowing here today so I decided to clean the bike.

The previous owner did not seem to take much care on the cleaning side, can;t wait until I have a decent day to go at the chain.

today I just thought I would wipe down the frame and some other bits with WD40 on a rag. I only used a minor amount on a rag but it seemed to clean and shine the frame nicely.

I couldn't use regular soap and water as I was inside my garage.

I hope I used the correct project for the job, I assumed the WD40 would evaporate.

I would love to go at the pipes but I have no idea what product to use?

Any thoughts here to general cleaning?

06fiz600

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a chrome polish on the pipes: Turtle wax, currently.
Use a good detailer (Meguiar's, Mother's...), and follow with wax on the painted surfaces.
Detailer is good to use between each waxing too. It is quick and really shines it up.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My header polishing thread: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/17176-polished-header.html

I wouldn't use WD40 on paint, unless I could wash it off immediately and hit it with good wax.. not sure how well clear coat stands up to it. WD40 works great on getting sticky stuff off, but I see no reason to use it for general cleaning.
Same washing products meant for cars work very well on bikes.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site

I hope I used the correct project for the job, I assumed the WD40 would evaporate.

You're half right: WD-40 is mostly mineral oil and a solvent similar to kerosene. It's great at dissolving crud and driving out water, but only the solvent evaporates, and leaves behind a light film of oil that prevents rust. Check out wikipedia's article on WD-40 for its history and intended purpose.

Since the solvent is similar to kerosene (which is what the manufacturer recommends for cleaning the chain) it's a decent chain cleaner (not lube) for those in tight quarters, like your garage during winter.

Beyond that, it's a serviceable cleaner and all-purpose light lube, and you probably won't hurt anything, but there are better products that are decades newer and made for specific purposes. Same goes for its lubing properties.

Or you could just wait until it warms up and give her a proper bath, but I share your wintertime eagerness to do something nice for her... ;)

GSBandit6

Reaction score
Visit site
When you get around to the chain, I highly recommend the WD-40 with a Grunge Brush. I believe I picked mine up from NewEnough, but you can also get them at most cycle shops. I use a Dupont Teflon chain lube that will not sling off as long as you don't use too much. Chains and sprockets can get expensive and if they fail it can be catestrophic, so take care of them.

Congrats on the new to you FZ, I love the red almost as much as the blue. ; ) I know you'll love it once you get to know it. There's not a ride that goes by that I don't think the FZ is the best all round motorcycle made.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My header polishing thread: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/17176-polished-header.html

I wouldn't use WD40 on paint, unless I could wash it off immediately and hit it with good wax.. not sure how well clear coat stands up to it. WD40 works great on getting sticky stuff off, but I see no reason to use it for general cleaning.
Same washing products meant for cars work very well on bikes.

Plus it has the draw back of serious cling'ige - dust and dirts will stick everywhere!!!

For Engine use near oil seepage areas, it'll cut the grime down to a thin amount which can be be removed with basic detergent and water (409, simple green, dish detergent, car wash soap).

Just don't get it on the seat and I'd stay away from moving parts too. WD is a solvent meant to displace water (WD=Water Displacement). Then it dissapears taking away the grease and good lubricant that was there.

Soap and water in buckets with some towels - just don't tell your g/f you gave the bike a sponge bath! :eek:

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like to use wd-40 to clean wheels. Put it on a paper towel, and rub away the grime. Usually try to wipe away most of the leftover wd-40 when done too. Works great for me! Doesn't hurt the paint.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
im sure it works, but why in the world would you use wd40 as a cleaner :eek: , there are tons better products out there.. s100 is a great product.. a good car wash soap (not dish soap) and some wax will keep the bike looking like new for years... sucks that it was dirty now, but i would have just waited instead of rubbin the bike down with wd40 :rolleyes:

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use it, cause its what I have found in my small inventory to clean with that works really well, and hasn't harmed any of my bikes.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
CT-18 truck was is excellent.

Any product by Meguires is also good.

Mr Sheen is excellent also.

(BTW, this is all advice from my husband, Prebstar. It's HIS job to clean the cars and bikes, not mine ;))

Martin75

Reaction score
Visit site
New to riding this year (142 km to be exact)....and I have a cleaning question.

The previous owner did not seem to take much care on the cleaning side, can;t wait until I have a decent day to go at the chain.

today I just thought I would wipe down the frame and some other bits with WD40 on a rag. I only used a minor amount on a rag but it seemed to clean and shine the frame nicely.

I couldn't use regular soap and water as I was inside my garage.

I would love to go at the pipes but I have no idea what product to use?

Any thoughts here to general cleaning?

Ditto i use the same works a treat:thumbup:

g8rdude

Reaction score
Visit site
im sure it works, but why in the world would you use wd40 as a cleaner :eek: , there are tons better products out there.. s100 is a great product.. a good car wash soap (not dish soap) and some wax will keep the bike looking like new for years... sucks that it was dirty now, but i would have just waited instead of rubbin the bike down with wd40 :rolleyes:

I second the S100. Just used it to clean my Stratoliner yesterday. Just soak for a few minutes than rinse off. Haven't cleaned my bike for 6 months and it was still very easy to get all the gunk off.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site

3rd on the S100. I've used it ever since I had my bike. You just spray the bike down to get the heavy stuff off, spray the S100 all over the bike and let it sit for a few minutes. From there you just rinse it off. One thing I will say about it is make sure you get EVERY BIT of it rinsed off. if there is even a small trace left over ,usually on the inner fairing where it is black, it will leave very obvious white spots. It's not useful in cleaning the chain for the most part but eats up road grime like crazy.

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
3rd on the S100. I've used it ever since I had my bike. You just spray the bike down to get the heavy stuff off, spray the S100 all over the bike and let it sit for a few minutes. From there you just rinse it off. One thing I will say about it is make sure you get EVERY BIT of it rinsed off. if there is even a small trace left over ,usually on the inner fairing where it is black, it will leave very obvious white spots. It's not useful in cleaning the chain for the most part but eats up road grime like crazy.

I just tried S100 for the first time this weekend. My bike wasn't too dirty, but my son's dirtbike is for sale and I thought a good cleaning would help. Then I cleaned my wife's Ninja (she won't wash it, and I 'm sick of cleaning her bike, so it's been probably 2 years with bugs splattered on it). 10 minutes cleaning with S100 and her bike looks like the day she saw it on the showroom floor.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
On the matter of your chain, If you can get it over there, Autosol is brilliant used with a medium grade steel wool. This won't scratch the pipes and will shift the coppery heat staining that builds up. Mine are back to shiny after 2 owners neglect - just took a couple of hours. There are numerous threads on this subject here. I find S Doc 100 to be hideously expensive for the amount you get so use either Muc-off or good car shampoo used sparingly, followed by clean rinse and chamois, then a spray of rust inhibitor in key areas like the chain adjuster lock nuts etc.
Nothing beats spending time on your steed looking at details when cleaning. I personally like to also use brake cleaner regularly on the calipers to stop them gumming up from the dust.
The bodywork responds nicely to any good polymer car shine product too.
WD40 is mainly for shifting greasy deposits and shouldn't really go near chains because of the residue left behind that is not heavy duty enough for lubing.
HTH!

bjorn240

Reaction score
Visit site
Have to be honest. I have a guy near me who will wash the bike for $20 and detail it twice a season for $125. And the thing is, he does a ridiculous job. Pulls the seat, pulls the tank, q-tips between the cooling fins on aircooled bikes, etc.

I wash my own dirtbikes, but this guy has got me spoiled. Since I have two kids under 3, he can wash my street bikes all day long.

I do use Meguiars Ultimate Detail after every ride pretty much.